• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ULPS causing BSOD...

Soldato
This one has me a little puzzled....

A while ago on windows 7 I had this strange situation, when ever I opened up a monitoring application (GPUZ, AB, Trixx etc...) AFTER I had just closed a 3d application down the system would insta-lock and eventually BSOD.

I since moved to Windows 8 and everything was fine, had some stutter in the odd game, decided to try disable ULPS (done via trixx). Seemed to disable fine but now I have the above problem back again, open monitoring program after I've closed a game/bench and boom system lock, which I can now directly relate to ULPS.

Anyone else get this or have a solution? It bothers me as when I put the cards (dual 7970's) under water shortly I'll want to OC them, obviously I can't OC/Bench with ULPS enabled and I'm likely to get BSOD's disabling it.

Edit: Must mention this has happened on 12.11 Beta8, 11 & 13.1 WHQL

Soldato
Ulps is the problem pgi.

My 'workaround':

Go here first and get the enable/disable ulps tool:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1088266/ulps-gui-config-utility-enable-disable

Disable ulps with the file you downloaded, restart.

Open trixx and select disable ulps too, then change only the voltage/clocks on the second gpu through trixx, save to profile 1, close trixx, enable ulps with the other file-but don't untick ulps in trixx, restart.

Use AB for the first gpu.

Hopefully it will work for you too, I didn't find this info anywhere, just mucking about one night in frustration and it just worked, so good luck mate.

The only problem I had with it on W8, was I had to re-apply the voltage from time to time, but that was only with about a fortnights use as I went back to W7 due to W8 being to finicky with config files in a lot of apps-they kept resetting/wouldn't save-defaulting or whatever. :(

Soldato
OP
Yep I'll give it a try tomorrow (well later today).

Can you try something for me when you get chance, have no monitoring equipment open, run a game or bench, UPLS disabled, once complete try open GPUZ and let me know if your system just hangs.

I don't recall having this issue with dual 6950's, fairly sure I had ULPS manually disabled with them and it was fine.

Edit: Also try (after 3d application) opening trixx and selecting a different GPU.

Last edited:
Soldato
The system hanging, I know what you are talking about, had them all the way to 12.11 betas, but the 13.1 was fine, no more hangs in Trixx/gpu-z, but in the 13.1 thread iirc, someone posted that it was still hanging, but definitely fine now for me.

I have just put in 13.2 betas and they don't hang either, W7 remember though.

Soldato
OP
Hmm, Just going to get some shopping done then I'll have a tinker about, I had the same issue on Win7 though that was with the Betas. Perhaps could be due to me upgrading from beta11 to 13.1 rather then clean install it?

Soldato
Did you just install over the top or uninstall-install?

I just uninstalled 12.10's then installed the 13.1's without using the Amd cleanup utility, but used it going from 13.1>13.2 beta-important AMD cleanup utility causes power plan problems though in W8 just in case you use it.

13.2 beta never lasted long though as I woke up this morning to see the wee man playing Spore-it was artifact city although he was playing it just the same:eek:, so back to 13.1's, but thracks did say not to use them as they were not complete.

Fair play to AMD with all the betas, but not much use when you end up rolling back due to the various small niggles you get, but they are betas at the end of the day.

FC3 is smoother on the 13.2's(but still the checkerboard bug in 3D that appeared from the betas:() but the cut scenes are juddering again, Hitman has a massive improvement too-~60fps average fully maxed@1080p-at the expense of the high fps spikes and Skyrim has been given the smooth treatment too.

It was soooo much easier with 6950>70 CrossFire using my RBE bios@~1.2v, voltage was set and with CCC unlocked, I just used normal clocks or higher clocks when needed, very simple and hassle free.

Soldato
OP
Installed 13.1 over the top of beta11, I was going to use the AMD clean up tool until I saw the reports of it randomly removing things from windows 8 so I decided to give it a miss, avoiding ATiMan uninstaller too, last time I used it I ended up with a black screen and nothing else :p

I won't be touching leaked betas anymore, I got burned with the very first leaked 12.11 betas :p

Just home so I'll try manually disabling ULPS, failing that I'll remove the drivers/sweep and fresh install them.

Soldato
Installed 13.1 over the top of beta11, I was going to use the AMD clean up tool until I saw the reports of it randomly removing things from windows 8 so I decided to give it a miss, avoiding ATiMan uninstaller too, last time I used it I ended up with a black screen and nothing else :p

Yes, clean up tool trashes your windows 8 :eek:

Soldato
OP
Its not that I can't use Afterburner etc...its the fact that if I want to open it AFTER I've used a 3d application my system will hang and eventually BSOD.

So say I was playing a game, then decided I wanted to bench a new OC, if I were to go direct and open Afterburner/GPUZ/Trixx my system would die, I'd need to reboot the system before hand.

I will add unofficial OC via afterburner too, though I haven't even tried XCL on it yet, currently using afterburner purely for OSD reasons.

Soldato
Have you tried setting up 2D and 3D profiles in AB ?

This is what I did to enable me to use 3D Mark and Vantage otherwise
the bench wouldn't run then it would hard lock or crash.

Soldato
OP
Would different AB profiles, say if I was to set a profile at my stock speed (1010/1375) for 3D, would these clocks stay or would they drop off? As I don't think clock speed switching helps in some games.

Ok in regedit EnableULPS is set to 1, changing that to 0 should disable it, but I noticed above it 'EnableCrossfireAutoLink' is set to 0, so is my registry disabling crossfire or is that down to zerocore?

Edit: Should EnableULPS_NA also be set to 0? Have disabled EnableULPS in both 0000 and 0001, but have the above crossfire (set to 0 in both) and NA (both set to 1) options in both folders.

Edit 2: Disabling just EnableULPS in both 0000 and 0001 still gives the system hang.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well I just tried this:

Set all instances of EnableULPS & EnableULPS_NA to '0'. Opened GPUZ, started render test, close render test, close GPUZ, open GPUZ = system hang.

Just when I was starting to enjoy Crossfire again too :(

Edit: Sorted some crossfire bugs out (in game bugs), turns out AMD saw fit to set crossfire to share utilization of 10% per card @ 2d clocks while in 3d application, deleted the AMD profile and set up my own, sorted for some games, still can't get my head around the crash thing

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom