Only getting 20Mb/s on 60Mb connection - wireless issue

Caporegime
Hi all

We've got Virgin Media 60Mb with the superhub. The hard-wired PC works great at the full speed but the wireless PC next door only ever gets ~20Mb/s.

I've tried a load of stuff. Signal strength is OK...seems to hover around -70dBm.

I'm using WPA2/AES security which I heard can help, and I've tried a shed load of other stuff such as logging off wireless G devices in case this is restricting the router.

My network card is a TP-LINK wireless N jobby.

I know wireless will never be as rock-solid fast as wired, but I'd have expected better than half the maximum rate for a standard that's meant to have a max of 300Mb/s.

Anything else I could have missed?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Soldato
I'm glad you posted this as I am only getting 20mb on a 60mb connection too. Upload is 1mb. But I am only getting these speeds with a wired connection.

I've had nothing but problems for the past year. I'm getting pretty sick of Virgin.

Associate
There are many many thing that can affect wireless throughput.

3x3 802.11n can do 300Mbps, most consumer kit won't do that. You might get 130Mbps link speed right next to it. Throughput is a lot less than link speed.

Do you have any other devices connected to the network? If a device connects on G all N devices are dragged down to 54Mbps max. Also if you have devices further away with weaker signal this drags the speed of all devices on that AP down. Wireless works like a Hub not a switch (which most wired ports on a router are these days) Hubs will only run as fast as the slowes device connected.

Also does your device actually report the connected link speed? it may just be signal strength if it's the sole device on the network. On most consumer kit I would expect throughput to be about 30% less than the link speed.

Better router might help, adding more APs certainly would. Coverage from 3 APs on separated channels would give you the greatest aggregate bandwidth.

Soldato
I have a decent laptop with 'n' and a dedicated 'n' WAP and still get crap speeds in the room next door.

Drill a hole through the wall and run a cable. Trust me, you will not regret it.

Back
Top Bottom