Extending wireless network

Associate
Hey guys,

I have a virgin media super hub in the main room of my house.

For whatever reason, the wireless signal anywhere but that room is terrible.

Is there a way to extend the wireless signal? I've heard about plugs that can be used? to create a good strong network throughout?

Thanks!

Associate
You can use Homeplugs, some are wired others have built in wireless APs.

Personally I don't rate the integrated APs compared to a dedicated one, I'd go for a second AP connected to the router using Homeplugs. Assuming homeplugs couldn't be replaced by running a cat5 cable of course.

Associate
OP
You can use Homeplugs, some are wired others have built in wireless APs.

Personally I don't rate the integrated APs compared to a dedicated one, I'd go for a second AP connected to the router using Homeplugs. Assuming homeplugs couldn't be replaced by running a cat5 cable of course.

Right okay, do the home plugs basically connect to the existing network and just extend the range from that point like a relay?

Or do they act as a new access points?

Associate
There are two types of homeplug, wired and wireless. Wired ones just act like an extension of the wired network. A glorified network cable through your power cabling.
The wireless ones behave in the same way but one end will have a built in wireless AP. It'll behave like an additional access point hard wired into the router.

http://pastebin.com/5hKfwygr

^ this is the setup, there's another thread about bridging wireless APs which is quite applicable.

That's how I'd do it as I can choose the AP I want and connect with wired homeplugs.

The only difference with the wireless homeplugs is that the wireless AP is built into the homeplug2 unit. But as such is pretty inflexible as to where you can place the AP and is at low level usually, resulting in poorer performance. Hence I'd recommend a separate access point.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I use a couple of D-Link dir 615s, one I had from Virgin and one bought off Ebay for £5. Flashed them using dd-wrt, and they boost wireless connectivity superbly.

Associate
Performance wise a standard patch lead and a good wireless access point will deliver the best solution.

DrayTek AP-700
Cat5e pre-terminated patch lead

Back
Top Bottom