MySQL Update function help

Associate
Hi guys,

Trying to update all values in a table within my database but cant get it to do any. Probably something silly i have done or left out.

I have a table that will be filled in and when submit is clicked the table should be updated with the new values.

There should only be one row of data in this table as it is a specification and will be reading the values out of the table later on.

Here is the Code:

Code:
<form id="test" action="SpecUpdateInsert.php" method="POST" name="SpecUpdate">
<table>
<tr>
    <th scope="col">Sieves</th>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <th scope="row">+163&micro;m</th>
    <td><input name="S1TS1" type="text" id="S1TS1" size="12" maxlength="12" /></td>
    <td><input name="S1TS2" type="text" id="S1TS2" size="12" maxlength="12" /></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <th scope="row">-63&micro;m</th>
    <td><input name="S2TS1" type="text" id="S2TS1" size="12" maxlength="12" /></td>
    <td><input name="S2TS2" type="text" id="S2TS2" size="12" maxlength="12" /></td>
  </tr>

<tr>
    <th scope="col">Sieves</th>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <th scope="row">+163&micro;m</th>
    <td><input name="S1NC1" type="text" id="S1NC1" size="12" maxlength="12" /></td>
    <td><input name="S1NC2" type="text" id="S1NC2" size="12" maxlength="12" /></td>
    <td><input name="S1NC3" type="text" id="S1NC3" size="12" maxlength="12" /></td>
    <td><input name="S1NC4" type="text" id="S1NC4" size="12" maxlength="12" /></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <th scope="row">-63&micro;m</th>
    <td><input name="S2NC1" type="text" id="S2NC1" size="12" maxlength="12" /></td>
    <td><input name="S2NC2" type="text" id="S2NC2" size="12" maxlength="12" /></td>
    <td><input name="S2NC1" type="text" id="S2NC1" size="12" maxlength="12" /></td>
    <td><input name="S2NC2" type="text" id="S2NC2" size="12" maxlength="12" /></td>
  </tr>
</table>
<input type="hidden" name="submitted" value="1"> 
<input name="SpecUpdateInsert" type="submit" id="SpecUpdateInsert" value="Submit Testing";/>
<input name="Reset Fields" type="reset" value="Reset Fields" />
</form>

Code:
if($_POST['submitted']==1){

$S1TS1 = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['S1TS1']);
$S1TS2 = preg_replace('/[^0-9]/', '',$_POST['S1TS2']);
$S1NC1 = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['S1NC1']);
$S1NC2 = preg_replace('/[^0-9\.]/', '', $_POST['S1NC2']);
$S1NC3 = preg_replace('/[^0-9\.]/', '', $_POST['S1NC3']);
$S1NC4 = preg_replace('/[^0-9\.]/', '', $_POST['S1NC4']);
$S2TS1 = preg_replace('/[^0-9\.]/', '', $_POST['S2TS1']);
$S2TS2 = preg_replace('/[^0-9\.]/', '', $_POST['S2TS2']);
$S2NC1 = preg_replace('/[^0-9\.]/', '', $_POST['S2NC1']);
$S2NC2 = preg_replace('/[^0-9\.]/', '', $_POST['S2NC2']);
$S2NC3 = preg_replace('/[^0-9\.]/', '', $_POST['S2NC3']);
$S2NC4 = preg_replace('/[^0-9\.]/', '', $_POST['S2NC4']);

}
 $con = mysql_connect("localhost","root","............");
 if (!$con)
   {
   die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
   }

mysql_select_db("productspec", $con);

$query = mysql_query("UPDATE product SET S1TS1 = ".$S1TS1. " AND SET S1TS2 = ".$S1TS2);

mysql_close($con);

I have only tried to update the first two values in the table to see if it would work.

Could anyone help please?

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Have you tried...

$query =("UPDATE product SET S1TS1 = $S1TS1, S1TS2 = $S1TS2");

Also, not sure seeing as you only have one line of data in the table, whether you would need to tell the update where to put the data, for example....

$query =("UPDATE product SET S1TS1 = $S1TS1, S1TS2 = $S1TS2 where lineID = line ID");

Associate
OP
Have you tried...

$query =("UPDATE product SET S1TS1 = $S1TS1, S1TS2 = $S1TS2");

Also, not sure seeing as you only have one line of data in the table, whether you would need to tell the update where to put the data, for example....

$query =("UPDATE product SET S1TS1 = $S1TS1, S1TS2 = $S1TS2 where lineID = line ID");

Yea i have tired the above with no luck:(

Associate
Been a long time since I touched MySQL but are you not just putting the update statement into another string variable.

Code:
$query = mysql_query("UPDATE product SET S1TS1 = ".$S1TS1. " AND SET S1TS2 = ".$S1TS2);

Have you tried removing the $query and just using mysql_query.

Associate
Depending on the type of the columns, won't you need to put quotations in the query around the variables?

Wise Guy
Soldato
use commas instead of AND SET for a start.

PHP:
$query = "UPDATE product SET S1TS1 = '$S1TS1', S1TS2 = '$S1TS2'";
mysql_query($query) or die('Error: '. mysql_error());

Associate
You are not executing the query so it won't do anything?

Edit: Looks like I was beaten to it. Well maybe not as his query above does not specify what row you want updating you will need a where in the query directing it to the correct row to up date.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you tried echoing the query to see exactly what the code is you are trying to update the table with?

Follow kwerk's advise (although you should really use graves arounds table/col names), then echo the query, run it via PHPMyAdmin etc and see what result you get.

And the WHERE condition is optional, although you'd be applying the update to all rows.

Associate
OP
OK all thanks for the help and advice. I have now got the issue sorted.

I removed the $query and just left mysql_query and also realised that the table that i was trying to update was empty!! So once i put something into it the UPDATE function worked. Cant believe it was something stupid like that!! lol

Again thats for the help guys:)

Back
Top Bottom