**Australian Open** Tennis Jan 14th - 27th

Man of Honour
Yeah it seems to work out that way but to jog my memory I went through the last 3 majors (US, Wimbledon, Roland Garros) and all played the Semi-Finals on the same day.

I can only imagine in Australia it's to do with getting the biggest crowds they can for the night games.

I did wonder if it was just my imagination or if he was really that unlucky with the way things worked out.

Well done to Murray on the victory, based on the text commentary it sounded as if Federer was struggling to stay with him and the fact that it went to two tiebreaks was due to the experience rather than anything else. Although the text commentary isn't the most reliable on the BBC - in the fifth set it was saying the score was 3-4 to Murray in one place but 2-5 to Murray in another, minor heart palpitations there thinking it was going to go all the way again.

It'll be very tough in the final but at least he's made it there again.

Soldato
Good win for Murray, he's come on leaps and bounds over the last year or so.

There were moments in that match where he made little mistakes which in the past would have seen him go into complete meltdown. Now he seems much more focused.

Replay of the US open final then, will Murray do it again or will this match have taken too much out of him?

Soldato
I'm not going to excuse Murray for this match making any difference whatsoever to the final. These days, given the level fitness of the top four players, a couple of days to recover is more than sufficient.

Game on!!

Associate
Wonder what Federer said to Murray at the end of the fourth, obviously wasn't very nice that's for sure. As great as Roger is, some of the things he does make him look like an arrogant prat - for example calling Djokovic lucky after losing to him at the US open even though Djokovic hit 2 unbelievable forehands to save match points or calling Murray out after he beat him at a masters a few years ago.

Either way a fantastic match, lost count of the number of 5 set classics that the top four guys have had now.

Man of Honour
That match just shows how much Murray has improved over the past year or so. He would have lost that match 2 years ago, he would have mentally lost it and with that, Federer would have taken him apart. Now, thanks largely to Lendl I reckon, he is able to cope with his mistakes and return to his normal level of play. For me now, he's the number 2 player in the world, and it's very close between him and Djokovic.

The funny thing is, a year ago, people were saying Andy didn't have the mentality to win a Slam, especially after losing to Novak in the semi's last year when he really should've won. Now he's in his third Slam finals in a row, winning 1 of the other two, as well as winning the Gold medal at the Olympics. If Andy can win the final here, he can lay a very genuine claim on being the best in the world, irrespective of what the rankings say.

Soldato
Really chuffed for Murray, hope he can do the double against Novak (although will be very tough after this gruelling semi, with a day's less rest than his opponant)

One thing I have noticed over the last 18 months, is that while AM's general play has improved a significant step - his record in tie-breaks (which he used to excel at) has got worse.

Im not knocking him, as he is plainly getting better - its just a pity his % of tie break wins is not as good as it was

Man of Honour
Really chuffed for Murray, hope he can do the double against Novak (although will be very tough after this gruelling semi, with a day's less rest than his opponant)

One thing I have noticed over the last 18 months, is that while AM's general play has improved a significant step - his record in tie-breaks (which he used to excel at) has got worse.

Im not knocking him, as he is plainly getting better - its just a pity his % of tie break wins is not as good as it was
Aye, but don't forget one of the sets he took from Novak in the US Open final was a tie break, so here's hoping he can do it when it counts, if he needs to, on Sunday :)

Soldato
Aye, but don't forget one of the sets he took from Novak in the US Open final was a tie break, so here's hoping he can do it when it counts, if he needs to, on Sunday :)

I had forgotten that I have to admit

Im glad it didnt end up costing AM today (missing out on the two tie-breaks)

edit - but at least the 5th set today was relatively easy.

Soldato
OP
edit - but at least the 5th set today was relatively easy.

Shades of the US Open final there...refocused and hammered it home in the 5th.

Funny thing is when you seen Murray at the end of the match he didn't look tired at all.

Despite that match he has still played less tennis than Djokovic in this tournament.

Soldato
Brilliant win.

However! I do think Andy made the match a lot harder than it needed to be. He bossed Fed for the most part but still ended up on court for four hours! A bit more ruthlessness would have seen this through in four or even three sets.

I'm happy to hold my hands up though and admit I was wrong - I was one of the people who thought Andy would never quite be good enough to win a slam. At the rate he's going it's going to be a very interesting year for him.

Bring on Sunday.

Soldato
Brilliant win.

However! I do think Andy made the match a lot harder than it needed to be. He bossed Fed for the most part but still ended up on court for four hours! A bit more ruthlessness would have seen this through in four or even three sets.

I'm happy to hold my hands up though and admit I was wrong - I was one of the people who thought Andy would never quite be good enough to win a slam. At the rate he's going it's going to be a very interesting year for him.

Bring on Sunday.

I dont think anyone could have predicted a year or so ago how much Lendl coming onto AM's team would have moved his game up another level so quicly

I seem to recall AM having a tough time last season/year in the bread & butter tournements (a level down from the majors) - which is what let him down in ranking points a little at the end of the year.

While the majors get all the press (and glory), he cant really forget about the minor tournements either

Soldato
I have to say that for the first time, I feel that Murray is capable of taking on the big 3 (assuming that Nadal gets back to where he was, when he returns), not as the underdog but as equals.

Certainly Djo will be favourite on Sunday, but Murray has a good chance of beating Djo, if Djo has a bad day at the office.

And what about Azarenka. World No.1 - may lose the top ranking to Serena Williams if she loses. If she wins, she maintains the top ranking. Azarenka has been No.1 for quite some time now and doesnt seem to be a 1-hit wonder, which Wozniaki and Safina appeared to be (before her). I actually liked what Azarenka did to the young American yesterday, when she used her experience to manipulate the rules to change the tide of the game. This is something which only an experienced top player could've done and got away with.

Man of Honour

I wouldn't say it was strictly a lack of ruthlessness, it was simply who his opponent was. No matter how good you are, when you're facing Federer, he is never out of the game. Fed's ability, and his determination to win mean that he simply won't go away easily. His experience was what made the match today a hard one IMO.

Certainly Djo will be favourite on Sunday, but Murray has a good chance of beating Djo, if Djo has a bad day at the office.

I honestly think that Murray can beat Novak even if he doesn't have a bad day at the office. Anything less than 100% from Djoker and he'll probably lose, and he knows that now. Murray knows the same. Both at 100% will probably see it going to another close 5 set match, with moments of genius from either man deciding who wins.

And what about Azarenka. World No.1 - may lose the top ranking to Serena Williams if she loses. If she wins, she maintains the top ranking. Azarenka has been No.1 for quite some time now and doesnt seem to be a 1-hit wonder, which Wozniaki and Safina appeared to be (before her). I actually liked what Azarenka did to the young American yesterday, when she used her experience to manipulate the rules to change the tide of the game. This is something which only an experienced top player could've done and got away with.

I like Azarenka. She's a good player with a good amount to her game, certainly more so than Wozniaki ever had. I think that if everyone is at their best, she would probably be world number 3 (behind Serena and Sharapova), but Serena is seemingly struggling with injuries lately, and Maria is simply not consistent enough any more (she really should be beating Li Na). She's quite cute too I think :D

Back
Top Bottom