**Australian Open** Tennis Jan 14th - 27th

Soldato
I don't believe that Sharapova, has the consistency to be No.1 on merit. Azarenka, for me, is a better player than Sharapova. She has held the No.1 ranking for quite some time now, which in itself is not an easy thing to do.

Certainly, Serena (if she could avoid injuries), would be No.1. In fact, she could well be No.1 in 24 hours (if Azarenka loses), despite suffering from injury in the last few weeks.

If both Djo and Murray play at 100%, for me, there is only 1 winner - Djokovic. But certainly, there is very little in it, now. I think Murray is no longer starting the big games as underdog (as he used to). My understanding is that Murray has worked a lot on his fitness, which allows him to play a high quality game for 5 sets (2 years ago, he couldn't play high quality for more than 3 sets).

I think we are in for 2 close matches in the next 48 hours.

Man of Honour
I honestly don't think Murray's fitness was ever an issue (except as an 18 year old), his problem was always mental. He'd lose focus mentally, which would cause his level to drop, not his fitness (in my eyes anyway). Being as fit as possible, certainly with Djokovic around, and if Nadal returns to his previous level, is definitely something anyone needs to try and beat them over 5 sets.

Soldato
Is anyone else peeved at how slow the courts and balls are now? Players are hitting shots that should be winners and that are being chase down by opposition. There is an element of improved fitness in this but a large chunk is the balls just sitting up on contact with the court.

Man of Honour
I don't know if anyone else was watching the womens final but I had to turn it off - Azarenka's cooing as she hit every shot was starting to grate on my nerves and I only watched maybe 10 games so I'd hate to play against that noise. There seemed to be an awful lot of unforced errors as well from both players.

Soldato
I don't know if anyone else was watching the womens final but I had to turn it off - Azarenka's cooing as she hit every shot was starting to grate on my nerves and I only watched maybe 10 games so I'd hate to play against that noise. There seemed to be an awful lot of unforced errors as well from both players.

Li Na has been the more aggressive and has hit some beautiful shots but she is not streaking ahead because of her unforced errors. Bless her she has turned her ankle twice and damn near knocked herself out in one fall.

Back
Top Bottom