Two Reservoirs (Tube + Bay) Okay??

Associate
Hey guys, first time poster (although i've been lurking around for months :cool:) and i find myself in need of advice... I'm a first time water cooler too just for the heads up :p. Anyway, my question is...

Are two reservoirs (namely the "XSPC X2O 750 Dual 5.25” Bay Reservoir Pump V4" and the "Bitspower Z-Multi 250mm Water Tank") okay to use together? (I hope to be ordering the OcUK V6 kit soon with the tube reservoir as an addition). I'm just worried because i heard that you should have the reservoir above the pump which it wont really be when set up?? Or will it not matter with the Bay/Pump combo? (Im presuming thats the only possible drawback of having two reservoirs?)

Many thanks,

Alex.

Associate
I assume the XSPC will be before the tube res? At least that's how I see it in my head.

While it probably would work I think you'd lose a lot of head pressure, as the pump will just dump from the XSPC bay into the tube res. That said however, the pump will also be "sucking" from the inlet which in turn means it sucks from the tube res so it should make full circuit no problem.

I would say temps would suffer but having more coolant in the loop may combat that or even equalise, but that's just speculation :)

Soldato
I don't think the temperatures would suffer St all since the loop is still closed and would just act like using a larger res.
It sounds like he is putting the tube res before the pump combo.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the replies, to be honest, I don't know what I'd be doing so i'll take whatever I'm told as gospel ;)

Here's what I'm thinking (see image below)... Maybe with the flow going anti-clockwise for no other reason than that the outlet is higher than the inlet on the XSPC Bay Pump/Res. Thoughts?

PS. My cable management is pro but I know haters ganna hate ;)

Watercooling.jpg

Soldato
Seems like a complete waste of money and will only cause problems.
No point in buying a single radiator when there are so many closed looped options.

Upgrading from 775 would give you huge gains.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
mjones1, simply: What problems?? I personally think that performance from my watercooling aspirations is not that important... I see watercooling like getting an upgrade on alloys on a new car... does it make it perform better? No... But hell, it makes it look the dogs parts. It just so happens that the performance can get better with watercooling, but thats not really why im looking into it. [I am a noob if you havnt noticed ;)] Getting a 2x 120 rad would cost me significantly more and for no better aesthetics (when compared to getting a tube res instead).

As for the 775... if your talking about that socket from intel, im afraid to say im using quite the opposite - AMD PII 955. I know its not the best now days but was awesome in its prime (when I bought it) and with todays games i have not got to a stage where I wished for more performance... yet.

Getting back to the OP though, from peoples comments it looks like it should be fine with 2 reservoirs? And if I could be so cheeky as to get peoples green light on spending ~£250 on that setup (in the image - including controllable UV and LED lighting with 2L of Mayhems pastel blue liquid and UV tubing), i'd be as happy as a clam :D

Thanks in advance for your opinions :D (and to those who have already posted!)

Soldato
It depends on your definition of fine really, will it negatively effect performance? yes, will the solution you end up with cost more than high end air cooling or a AIO water unit? yes, will it be better performing? depends on the rad/fan used but if it is then prob not by much. However, will it look nice? yeah, it will.

How are you planning to fix the tube res in that position btw as I see nothing to bolt it too (except the mobo, wouldn't advise screwing into that).

Associate
OP
Good point ubersonic, Ive got some veneered MDF lying around which I think i'll spray black and use :) I'll figure something out im sure... Will definately post pictures when I get around to doing it, thanks guys! :)

Associate
The second res - the tube one - in your layout it will need to be sealed to keep pressure from the pump pushing coolant to to radiator and round the loop. So make sure its nice and tight. Don't test the loop with the motherboard powered up.

Associate
Just looking at your case.. at the bottom left corner of the photo, do i see 2 rubber grommets for the cooling pipe to go through??.. if so it will be very easy to put the tube reservoirs on the back of the case.. this will make very easy to fill the loop with the bung on top of the tube res.. this is the place my tube res is going
my tube is long enough for the bottom to be the lowest point for easy draining and the top of it is the highest point in the loop for easy filling all dun outside the case

Associate
OP
Good point, would definately be a lot easier! Not sure how good it will look compared to being inside though... only 1 way to find out i guess! Going to order today :D

Associate
OP
Forum, with your help I am a very, very happy man. Here are the photos I promised (albeit a bit late :p)

Id just like to say that for the fanatics, this project for me was entirely about aesthetics (hence the absolutely pointless tube res and only a single 120mm rad). So without further a do, here's the album on photobucket with some favorites below...

http://s1139.beta.photobucket.com/user/Alex_Stoner/library/Watercooling

BEFORE:

WP_20130206_001.jpg

WP_20130219_003.jpg

AFTER:

P1050220.jpg

P1050225.jpg

P1050222.jpg

P1050211.jpg

P1050210.jpg

P1050214.jpg

[yes, that is bodged but hell, its pretty sturdy! Its actually the metal plates which were the temporary covers for the optical drive bays in the case, bended and screwed/cable tied to the HDD mounting bay unit ;)]
P1050228.jpg

P1050232.jpg

As for performance, my old Phenom II 955 went from 40/56 deg C (idle/load) on my Zalaman cooler fitted over a year ago... to 28/46 deg. Stock speed ofc. Maybe its time to dabble in overclocking, although thats a task for another weekend lol.

Thanks again guys.

Opinions/questions always welcome :)

Back
Top Bottom