what's the most efficient gpu for folding?

Soldato
My trusty q6600 is dead and I'm going to build a fresh one but I'm out of the loop on gpu goodness not having folded for several years!
it will be a single card machine, probably with a i7 3770 in it.
Any thoughts?

Soldato
When is that due to happen Mike?

just found an answer, it's not very definitive!
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23048&start=210

Yeah, it was good while it lasted and I re-ignited the farm for the 8057 units but it's just another example of the points inflation to stop people leaving for other projects. Most of the time Stanford drives me nuts with the disrespect they show for their contributors.

Anyways, you're doing DPAD at the moment aren't you? I went back to it after a long time away but I'm keeping the gpus quiet for now.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
660Ti or 560Ti 448

Depends on what sort of specials are going on, seems to be quite a few EVGA refurbs going recently for cheap Fermi goodness. But as Mike says until the QRB is launched for gpus not much point in spending too much right now.

There are GTX 460's (£77) and 480's (£140) EVGA refurbs on sale now if you's can find em.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think I'll take my chances with a 660ti, the 560 is less than half the Gflops/watt and you can't get the recon cards in this half of the world without astronomical shipping cost.
thanks for the input guys :)

Soldato
OP
Well the cpu is at 4.43 Ghz on 1.2v and the gpu is up to 1200mhz core on stock volts.
Time to let it all settle in for a bit:)

that's with the gpu folding and two cores of the 3770k the other two are on DPAD.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well I have found the reliable limit for my EVGA 660Ti.
At 1215 it has run for a week with no EUE's, 1220 lasted for 6 hours before 5 hours of straight EUE's whilst I was at work.
back to 1215 core and I'll nudge the CPU a bit more now.

Associate
hello there i just started doing this and i have a quick question if i was to put a couple of old 560's into my computer aswell as my 580 can they all be used ? thanks a lot also i dont show up on the new user thing on the homepage does this take a little while or is it me that's the problem cheers

James

Last edited:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
It can take a little while for the stats to update and thus you to appear on listings. Work must be completed and submitted (usually that's automated) so that you get credit and that is seen by the various stat's server systems. Make sure you have your client showing team 10 ;)

As for GPUs, if your motherboard has sufficient slots to support the cards, and you have the power connectors, it should work. But GPUs need support from the CPU so it will be a trade off. Slower CPUs may need a whole core per GPU, so the returns of an added GPU may not be quite so good if your CPU slows.

Back
Top Bottom