Which second hand car?

Associate
Hi all,

I currently have a 2005 Ford Focus 1.6 that's coming up for 80,000 miles. I think that given its part exchange value and the work it would need doing to completely sort it out, it might be time to part exchange it for something new. Only trouble is that my knowledge of current models isn't particularly comprehensive.

I do 25 miles each way on my commute and the fuel economy of the Focus isn't great. I'd prefer something a bit more economic, so we're probably looking at a diesel. Four wheel drive would be a bonus, but it's not essential. Also, it's usually only me in the car so I don't need a huge car. I don't really want anything much bigger than the Focus.

Let's assume I've got £5000 to spend. I can be flexible with this for the right car. If you've got any thoughts then please let me know, because I'm not really sure what I should be looking at.

Soldato
You don't get good MPG and 4WD. You either have one or the other, unless you have a Quattro 4wd system which you are way under budget for if your wanting something newer than your current car.

Personally I would fix up the Focus and run it into the ground and save up in the mean time.

5k and good MPG and no bigger than a Focus. Focus,Fiesta, Astra, Skoda Fabia will be the main contenders I should think in the price range.

If you could go bigger Mondeo,Octavia would be a good shouts.

Soldato
Selling it because it's coming up to 80000 miles isn't really a good reason to sell a car. When you say "the work it would need doing" - what do you mean by this? Parts are often cheap on Ford's and most "work" shouldn't cost very much at all. Is it a MK1 Focus or MK2?

Associate
OP
Selling it because it's coming up to 80000 miles isn't really a good reason to sell a car. When you say "the work it would need doing" - what do you mean by this? Parts are often cheap on Ford's and most "work" shouldn't cost very much at all. Is it a MK1 Focus or MK2?

Mk 2. I think it needs a new clutch and a new halfshaft.

Man of Honour
Nothing. This is the sort of budget whereby we'd advise exactly what you have now - a Mk2 Focus. I can see absolutely no reason to change it and nothing you'll be able to buy thats similar for £5k will be much more than a sideways move into an unknown used car which might also need a clutch at some point in the future.

Soldato
At least a clutch in a Focus isn't £1k. Honda parts in general are funny.money and tbh unless you're buying a fairly.new example (which will be well out of budget) you're getting to the age of car where it will need a little bit if money spent on it. Not newish BMW league but significantly.more than the likes of a focus or Mazda 3 etc

For a modern diesel.its a great car if you pick the right example but its not really something to buy with a mi d to run it for pennies.

Don
[TW]Fox;23741214 said:
Nothing. This is the sort of budget whereby we'd advise exactly what you have now - a Mk2 Focus. I can see absolutely no reason to change it and nothing you'll be able to buy thats similar for £5k will be much more than a sideways move into an unknown used car which might also need a clutch at some point in the future.

This, this and this.

What kind of mpg do you get? Get the fluids and filters changed, plugs too. That's fuel filter, oil filter, air filter; these all have an effect on mpg.

Pollen filter will make it smell nicer inside

Associate
OP
Thanks all. I had a bit of a panic yesterday because I thought I'd broken the clutch. It seems that it's just the pedal though, which makes it an even easier decision - fix the Focus's problems.

Back
Top Bottom