BenQ XL2420T Now available

sin

sin

Associate
I just got BenQ XL2420T and 3d vision 2 and yeah you do need sun glasses
if you dont change settings but even when I have change settings still feels bright on my
eyes

Man of Honour
I still find myself fiddling with the monitor most of the time I use it, keep trying different settings but not really sure what i'm after, so I don't get anywhere! It never feels quite right though.

I finally fixed my BenQ XL2420T not feeling right however I set it...

... by changing it for a Dell Ultrasharp. Massive shame as much of the BenQ was very likeable, especially the range of inputs and the 120hz functionality.

Soldato
Odd, I've had the 20T about 4 months now and havn't fiddled with it once since I first set it up. Using these:

Picture Mode= Standard
Brightness= 36 (adjust according to preferences and lighting)
Contrast= 50
Gamma Mode= Gamma 4

Red= 96
Green= 97
Blue= 100

Nvidia Control Panel:

Digital Vibrance = 60%

perse jimlad :)

Man of Honour
Those settings atleast on mine while giving fairly accurate colors have a very heavy look with the gamma curve heavily bias towards the lower range colors.

The telling thing about this monitor for me - and something fox picked up on - pretty much every monitor I've ever owned no matter how good or bad has rendered the blues on the OcUK forum correctly - on the BenQ no matter how good or badly its set the blues on the OcuK forums have purple hue to them.

Then you have the problem (which may depend on person to person) that the display has the same kind of look as ultra bright LEDs (probably due to the backlighting) which personally I find very cold and hard for prolonged viewing.

I've ended up keeping mine as nothing else really comes close to the responsiveness but I try to avoid using it for anything other than fast paced gaming.

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;22823860 said:

... by changing it for a Dell Ultrasharp. Massive shame as much of the BenQ was very likeable, especially the range of inputs and the 120hz functionality.

I've just done the same.

I was pulled into the 120hz monitor hype, and while it's nice, I don't really need it and can easily live without it.

After a couple of days with the BenQ I found myself annoyed. It just looked wrong. No matter how much I tweaked it; it looked strange. The colours were off and the viewing angles woeful. I'd read every single review there is about this monitor but it was just way worse than I anticipated.

I was using it next to my old Dell 2407WFP, which I've never really been unhappy with. It has been a superb monitor. The BenQ next to the Dell was really a no contest; the Dell wiped the floor with it. Everything bar the response was better. The backlight, the colours, the blacks, the build quality, the design.

The backlight on the XL2420T felt as if it was pushed right up against the back of the screen - if that makes sense. The brightness of it wasn't an issue, I just felt it was overpowering in another sense. On the positive side it had no dead pixels or issues, and I can just about see the appeal of 120hz for a hardcore FPS gamer.

I've just swapped the BenQ for a new Dell Ultrasharp U2410, and it's just awesome. Okay, the response isn't quite there but most of the time you don't notice it. I didn't think I was someone who had high 'colour reproduction standards' or anything like that, but I just found the TN panel on the BenQ very unacceptable. I know TN is pretty much the only option for a 120hz monitor at the moment (outside of spending a fortune or getting a Catleap), but it's just not worth the trade-off. :(

Associate
[TW]Fox;22802580 said:
Just watched a movie. Even with brightness on zero the dark scenes are noticeably bright. Really torn now. Love the way it looks, love the inputs, etc etc... but it's so bright.
Why don't you enable LightBoost for zero motion blur? During 2D viewing, it dims the image significantly (Especially if you lower the "LightBoost" setting to below 100%) so this might be your solution. You do need to recalibrate your picture after enabling LightBoost.

The big bonus of LightBoost is the CRT-tube effect -- an LCD with no motion blur for video gaming!

Man of Honour
In terms of visual look it was like the saturation was taken down a notch nothing terrible but it was like having a slightly grey film infront of the screen.

As I mentioned in the other thread other than reducing/eliminating some over-drive artifacts I didn't see a significant improvement in (pixel) response from it as the panel is already pretty responsive.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;22823860 said:

To be fair -It's a gaming monitor.

I am happy with mine for gaming, but would NEVER use it for movies, image work and anything colour critical.

Unless all you do is game this monitor is NOT suitable as a standalone device.

I run a HP LP2475W IPS panel alongside it for everything else which is not gaming.

120Hz is absolutely necessary for gaming as far as I am concerned. The difference between 120Hz/Low Input Lag and 'regular' LCDs is night and day. There is no comparison. But, as above, it's not a monitor you can use alone if you want to do other things with it other than game.

Soldato
All i do on my pc besides playing games is web browsing, surely its ok for that?
Im currently doing a bit of research into this monitor im considering buying one to replace my dell u2711. Aint got room on desk for both, before someone suggest it;)

Soldato
It's fine for web browsing.

It's fine for ANYTHING, but not if you expect IPS level IQ, Black Levels and Colour reproduction.

Side by side the 2420T will look significantly worse than an IPS panel when, for example, playing a movie.

Back
Top Bottom