Anyone use Cooper tyres here?

Soldato
Contemplating a change on our Type R, 225/35/19 currently with two Falkens on the front and two of KwikFits own Marongoni tyres (that were fitted when we bought the car). However, just noticed one of the Falkens is shot and when I checked the tracking was out. Strange as it shouldn't be so think the missus has hit a pot hole or something.

Anyway, was looking at Cooper, but never used them before. Anyone? If not, I'll stick with my Falkens.

Coopers here

Man of Honour
It's obviously a pretty nice car on 225/35/19's, so why is the choice Coopers or Falkens?

Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's are £147 (thats only £25 more than the Falkens!), or Dunlop SP Sport MAXX are £143.

Soldato
As per above really, plus if the falkens are the 912's they're a pretty crap tyre for anything with a bit of go. If it's 453's i've never used them though 452's were decent enough - still not really comparable to the real big players though.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;23925325 said:
It's obviously a pretty nice car on 225/35/19's, so why is the choice Coopers or Falkens?

Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's are £147 (thats only £25 more than the Falkens!), or Dunlop SP Sport MAXX are £143.
Habit mate with the Falkens, always used them on the Pug, the Saab etc so I tend to stick with them as they've always been spot on.

However, just thinking I wouldn't mind a change really and the Coopers were around the same price but not really heard much about them. Am willing to go to £150 per corner but above that I doubt the wife will reap any reward from them so it'll be a waste of money.

EDIT: The Falkens would be the 452's, it's what it currently has. Also, Fox the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's this from personal use?

EDIT 2: OMFG, check these out I found while searching for the Goodyears...

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Habit mate with the Falkens, always used them on the Pug, the Saab etc so I tend to stick with them as they've always been spot on.

However, just thinking I wouldn't mind a change really and the Coopers were around the same price but not really heard much about them. Am willing to go to £150 per corner but above that I doubt the wife will reap any reward from them so it'll be a waste of money.

EDIT: The Falkens would be the 452's, it's what it currently has. Also, Fox the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's this from personal use?

EDIT 2: OMFG, check these out I found while searching for the Goodyears...

452 is an ok tyre, heard the 453 is pretty good.

But check MPSS, F1AS2 and Conti CS3/CS5 all a better tyre. MPSS is the best though if in your size just for the longevity.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;23926266 said:
Yes, but I picked them because they seem to win every tyre test going and come second in the few they dont win.

Fitted them to my Leon Cupra last week and so far I'm very impressed. Even coped well enough in the snow the past couple of days.

Soldato
Autogrip are possibly the worst tyres i've ever seen.

Wife has them on her Clio 197 as they were on when we bought it and we're going to be changing them pretty sharpish even though they've got a good 6mm of tread left on them. They're outright dangerous!

Soldato

Wife has them on her Clio 197 as they were on when we bought it and we're going to be changing them pretty sharpish even though they've got a good 6mm of tread left on them. They're outright dangerous!

You haven't used Kormoran yet. :D

I won't bore you with it as I had a thread already. I seriously think they are even worse than Linglongs (not that I have tried them).

Associate

Got to love the previous owners mentality of buying a hot hatch renowned for handling and then putting tyres on that would struggle on a micra.

Soldato
You haven't used Kormoran yet. :D

I won't bore you with it as I had a thread already. I seriously think they are even worse than Linglongs (not that I have tried them).

I still cannot believe how bad Black Diamond are, bought an mkiii Supra with them all round a few years ago and the grip in the dry was poor but as soon as it started raining then even light use of the accelerator resulted in fishtailing (in a car renowned for handling) without either of the turbos spooled :eek:

Soldato
OP
I had LingLongs on my Saab Aero when I bought it, all brand new... I've never used such a poor tyre... normally even cheapo ones aren't that bad in the dry, these were... understeered way more than it should. In the wet however I swear on my life, they were frightening, it became a joke for 4 weeks as I was driving with a mate and every single roundabout you just went straight on lol, never ever understeered so often in a FWD car... and that was normal driving speeds... replaced them all with Falkens and it was like night and day. Longlongs... I mean... rofl, I'd love to know what they make them out of, plastic lego it felt like.

Think I'm going to go the Good Years that Fox linked, have to admit, look a quality tyre with no poor review... so I think I'll get them on the Type R and if they're as good as they look, I'll dump my RX8 ones on a set of track alloys and replace them with Good Year as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom