*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Associate
(For the older type license) Following completion of the 2 years 33bhp restriction, do I need to send my license off to be updated?

Associate
Thanks for responses.

I will leave it for now then.

I wasn't that bothered about sending it off, but I have now read a load of stories about people getting their licenses back without the right information on it (such as no car license etc.)

Soldato
Hi all, quick question for you wrt costs of getting going.

I am 22, and have held a car license since I was 17.

Am I right that the costs of getting licensed are something like this:

theory test £31
CBT including hire of bike & gear ~£100+
DAS test ~£600+

So total of around £800 for getting qualified, and then I'd be able to ride a 395cc bike until I turn 24 (at which point I don't need to take another test right?).

Thug
Soldato
I passed my full driving license (manual car) a couple weeks ago. I'm 23.

What exactly do I have to do for my motorbike license? (I'm in the mood to get them all at the moment :D)

Soldato
Righto, I'm going to get a 125 for my daily commute. Parking, traffic and petrol really are crazy these days and I'm only doing a 10 mile trip to and fro. I have a full car license and the paper counterpart stipulates provisional entitlement for A1, A, B, F, K and P. So, am I good to just book a CBT?

Soldato
Heading over to US for a year in the summer and been toying with an idea of getting a bike licence there, guess when I come back I would still have to do all the practical tests here in the UK?

EDIT: Ah just found out that it's not on the list of designated countries eligible for conversion.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cool, thanks. It all seems a bit convoluted - what next? I don't intend to ride anything bigger than a 125

Sorry nobody replied!!

yes if you license says you have bike provisional then yes go ahead an book a CBT, once passed you can ride a 125cc on L plates for 2 years, at which point you will need to do your CBT again to continue riding, this is if you don't want to go the test route that is.

From the GetOn site:

"If you have not gained a full motorcycle or moped licence two years after completing CBT, your DL196 is no longer valid and you must repeat CBT.

If you have a full car licence issued before 1st February 2001 you may ride a restricted 50cc moped on the road without L plates (and carry a passenger), but you still need to successfully complete your CBT to ride any motorcycle over 50cc. However, if you have not ridden a motorcycle or scooter before, it is a good idea to complete CBT as a minimum."

Soldato
What's the effect of having a full license vs just CBT in insurance terms? I've got what I thought were some really cheap quotes from the likes of MCE (who were cheapest by a mile) on just a random Honda 125, North London on street parking with just passed CBT status - £300 or so.

I suppose doing the CBT every 2 years would end up costing more, but I'm not sure 2 wheels is for me yet :p

Soldato
Hi guys, looking at getting my motorcycle license but it all seems so confusing to do with ages/engine sizes.

I'm 21 years old, had a car license for over 3 years.

Does this mean that I could do a CBT and I'd be able to ride up to a 500CC/35KW (46.6 bhp) for 2 years. At which point I could do a full test and be able to ride any size bike?

thanks guys

Associate
Hi guys, looking at getting my motorcycle license but it all seems so confusing to do with ages/engine sizes.

I'm 21 years old, had a car license for over 3 years.

Does this mean that I could do a CBT and I'd be able to ride up to a 500CC/35KW (46.6 bhp) for 2 years. At which point I could do a full test and be able to ride any size bike?

thanks guys

No, you can only ride up to a 125cc/11kW on CBT. CBT just validates your provisional motorcycle licence.

Two options then:
1. Pass on your 125. You can only ride your 125 then, but you lose the L-plates, can ride on motorways and take a pillion.
2. Take lessons on a bike at least 395cc and between 25 and 35kW and pass your tests. Then you can ride up to 35kW.

More info here. [PDF]

Personally, I'd recommend lessons so you get bad habits corrected. Also, you don't have to buy a bigger bike just because you have the licence!

Soldato
No, you can only ride up to a 125cc/11kW on CBT. CBT just validates your provisional motorcycle licence.

Two options then:
1. Pass on your 125. You can only ride your 125 then, but you lose the L-plates, can ride on motorways and take a pillion.
2. Take lessons on a bike at least 395cc and between 25 and 35kW and pass your tests. Then you can ride up to 35kW.

More info here. [PDF]

Personally, I'd recommend lessons so you get bad habits corrected. Also, you don't have to buy a bigger bike just because you have the licence!

Thanks very much :) I was looking for bikes of 125/250cc so they're below 35kW;they look terrible :( and if i passed my test in for example 6 months, I'd be 23 yrs and 8 months anyway after 2 years of having a license.

Can any suggest some bikes that are below 35kW power output? Or would it be a feasible option to buy a bike with a bit more than 35kW and restrict, then de-restrict in a few years after I turn 24 and passed the relevant test?

Associate
The DSA list is here.

Might be worthwhile starting it's own thread for recommendations tbh, though you're best off deciding which route you want to go, doing it, then deciding which bike as getting hung up on which bike won't help! I realise bike fantasising is fun though. :D

Back
Top Bottom