2013 Panny plasmas or ?

Soldato
i'm wondering what to do, my Panny ST 50'' is a bit small, my last tv was 55'' and i just cant get used to this smaller size

1..... get the ST 55'' or 65''

2......get this years VT 55''

i know i'd be happy with the ST 55'' or the 65'', this will also save me money

this years 55'' VT will be just about affordable, but i'm not sure if i want a tv with better P.Q than my ST 50, mine is good enough already.

the 2013 brand new tech ZT is far too much money so i'm not thinking about this at all, but the 2012 VT is a good idea too, but right now it's still too expensive.

it's an interesting problem to have :cool:

Soldato
People were saying on another forum that some of the 2013 panasonic plasma are just rebranded 2012.

Not sure if it's been confirmed yet or how much exactly has been copied over from last years models but I think if it was my money I would be looking at trying to get a good deal on a 65 inch 2012.

Soldato
OP
the new version of the ST50 looks the same as mine or very close, the only one that's brand new is the top end reference ZT.

My ST50 looks great it's just a bit too small, so it looks like either the 55'' or the 65''.

i went to purwells today and the new VT 60 55'' (not out yet) is a couple of hundred more than the existing 2012 VT50'', they had a 55'' tv right beside a 50'', it's only 5'' bigger but it seems much larger than this, my guess is the 65'' will be too large at only 8ft away.

the perfect size is 60'' but we wont be getting this version here in the U.K, the bloke from Purwells said the new tv's are the same as last years but they have much more advanced ``Smart features``, i shrugged my shoulders and said ``i couldn't care less, i only want it for gaming``

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
People were saying on another forum that some of the 2013 panasonic plasma are just rebranded 2012.

Not sure if it's been confirmed yet or how much exactly has been copied over from last years models but I think if it was my money I would be looking at trying to get a good deal on a 65 inch 2012.

they're the same as last years models but with much more ``Smart features``

the VT 55'' is about 300 quid more than last years VT 55, i saw Purwells sales order sheet, but if i was going to get a 2013 55'' it would need to be a lot better than now, so the best looks like the 2012 ST55'' or 65''.

the only new 55'' worth getting is the very expensive reference ZT, but all the rest and you're better off with the 2012 versions

Soldato
OP
The ZT model only comes in 60" in the UK, Samsung's F8500 may also be good. We just need to wait until they are reviewed properly.

the 64'' sammy is about £2400, so not much more than last years ST65, but it has an ugly bow shaped stand, probably get used to it though :eek:

it just depends how good the Sammy is !

Caporegime
i'm wondering what to do, my Panny ST 50'' is a bit small, my last tv was 55'' and i just cant get used to this smaller size

1..... get the ST 55'' or 65''

2......get this years VT 55''

i know i'd be happy with the ST 55'' or the 65'', this will also save me money

this years 55'' VT will be just about affordable, but i'm not sure if i want a tv with better P.Q than my ST 50, mine is good enough already.

the 2013 brand new tech ZT is far too much money so i'm not thinking about this at all, but the 2012 VT is a good idea too, but right now it's still too expensive.

it's an interesting problem to have :cool:

let me get this right

you had a 55" tv, then decided to buy a 50" one, now you want to go back to 55" again?

why don't you keep the 50" and buy a projector with a pull down screen?

otherwise you have just wasted a lot of money have you not, selling on both of these tv's?

Soldato
OP
let me get this right

you had a 55" tv, then decided to buy a 50" one, now you want to go back to 55" again?

why don't you keep the 50" and buy a projector with a pull down screen?

otherwise you have just wasted a lot of money have you not, selling on both of these tv's?

no i had a 6 year old 55'' sony RPTV i replaced it because it was too old, i got the 50'' panny because it was cheaper than the 55'', but i now have the money for a much bigger tv.

i've only lost money on the 50'' Panny

Caporegime
no i had a 6 year old 55'' sony RPTV i replaced it because it was too old, i got the 50'' panny because it was cheaper than the 55'', but i now have the money for a much bigger tv.

i've only lost money on the 50'' Panny

i would keep the 50" and get a projector. otherwise realistically speaking you have probably lost a lot of whatever that 50" panny cost you.

a brand new 50" GT50 is now £750 with 5 year warranty and 2 x 3D glasses.

how much is your budget? also with the law of diminishing returns, the more you spend the less you get for your money, applies to tv's i find.

as soon as you hit around the £750-£800 mark everything above that amount seems like a waste of money because you get very little extra.

therefore the best setup imo is a 50" panny plasma and a projector, so you get the best of both worlds for a decent price.

e.g. a 50" GT50 and a decent projector setup would set you back roughly £1500 altogether brand new

is it really worth spending £2K+ or whatever it is on a 60" or 65" when the above setup offers a lot more imo for less money.

Caporegime
i dont want a projector at all.

why don't you move closer to the tv or move the tv closer to you? or is that not an option?

just seems like a terrible waste of money if you have just bought a decent set to just replace it. obviously if you had just spent £100-£300 to get a short term option whilst you saved up for a decent set then yeah it makes sense to buy again when you can.

realistically speaking a second hand 50" ST50 is going to go for £400 ish, especially since i did some looking on avforums last night and GT50's are now £750 brand new with 5 year guarantee and 2 sets of glasses.

Soldato
OP
no it has to be a bigger screen, but i think 55'' will be big enough, not sure yet, i wont know till i suddenly decide at the last moment

the ST 65'' is selling fast there's quite a few places that are out of stock now..that weren't two days ago.

i think the PQ at 65'' will be the deciding factor, so is the 65'' as clear a picture as the 50'' on SD and is it as good/sharp at 1080P as the 50''..?? thanks

Caporegime
no it has to be a bigger screen, but i think 55'' will be big enough, not sure yet, i wont know till i suddenly decide at the last moment

the ST 65'' is selling fast there's quite a few places that are out of stock now..that weren't two days ago.

i think the PQ at 65'' will be the deciding factor, so is the 65'' as clear a picture as the 50'' on SD and is it as good/sharp at 1080P as the 50''..?? thanks

well the picture is never going to be as "clear" due to the pixels being larger, but whether you can actually notice that difference or not depends a lot on your eyesight and your "eye" for quality.

imo you wouldn't be able to notice the difference but their are people out there that say they can.

if your going to buy again it would also HAVE TO BE the 65", because your spending a lot of money and to spend all that cash for an extra 5" is going to be very bad value for money imo.

you could always wait and get a 2013 model?

there was also a 60" LG plasma for sale at £1K brand new i believe (seen it on hot uk deals iirc).

Soldato
OP
thanks, the LG is not good enough, the 60'' looked very bad on display right beside a Panny, poor blacks and quite washed out looking

yes, the 65'' is about £2200 a 55'' about maybe £1300...... but the 65'' is way more impressive for gaming, it's perfect :D ..... the existing VT 65'' is way too expensive for an image that looks the same as my ST50..... because i've seen both side by side, they are for arguements sake; identical twins !!!!

but.....the ST 65'' is enormous :eek: and i mean enormous, it's a full 10'' bigger than the 55''.... but i can move the screen a foot further away from me.

what about LED, this has no image retention !!! yes true, but has dreadful backlight bleeding....clouding, and isn't as good as a plasma..... period !

only if you know of one that is !

Soldato
OP
2013 MODEL ?......i'm running out of time to get the ST65, (if i decide that the 2013 models aren't that much better), because they're selling quite fast.. 3 shops have already sold out since monday :eek::eek:

Soldato
OP
on AV Forum ``2013 panny thread pt 2`` there's a review of the brand new ST 60, it's the same as mine, no improvement over the 2012 model.

Associate
on AV Forum ``2013 panny thread pt 2`` there's a review of the brand new ST 60, it's the same as mine, no improvement over the 2012 model.

Whilst it is possible and predicted by many to show little improvement over the 2012 apart from aesthetics, I'd rather wait for reviews I can trust. Let's wait and see what AVforums and HDTV test have to say. You're probably right though and there's no need for anyone with an ST to upgrade I would imagine.

Soldato
OP
the 2013 65'' ST (not out yet) is £2010 in France:D

so it's a similar price to the existing 2012 version, there is therefore no need to worry about buying something right now, they're the same price.

it'll have to be the ST 55'' or the 65'' because the GT60 doesn't go above 50'' and the VT60 will be too expensive for sure !!!!!!

my guess is :- get the ST 65'' in about June or get a real cheap ST 55'' right now

plus also :- the 65'' ST is only £1650 in France, i think they'll export to the U.K, Not sure, but you will deffo have a problem if the tv develops a fault etc, so it'll be a risk, it's still interesting though

http://www.kelkoo.fr/p-tv-plasma-127101/panasonic-tx-p65st50-19801581

Last edited:
Caporegime
2013 models will definitely be an improvement over the older models, they always make a new panel every year and the new models all tend to use the same panel, just different electronics driving the panel, which is why there is a difference in PQ between them.

that is why the 2012 UT, ST, GT and VT all offer decent quality viewing, it's the same panel, just the electronics are different.

Back
Top Bottom