Miele really worth it?

Soldato
I just bought second hand, £100 for a Samsung washer, Was still in warranty when we got it. It gets hammered and is going well. at the price it could die tomorrow and I'd be happy with the use we have had out of it so far.

Don't think I'd want to spend anywhere near £1k on a washing machine. Those LG ones look decent, good to hear others have good experience of them.

Permabanned
An LG direct drive machine will server as well as a Miele machine. The upside is you will be a few hundred quid better off.

You don't necessary get what you pay for with washing machines, lets look at two of the most popular brands, Hotpoint and Indesit.

There is an Indesit machine for sale at Appliances Online for £194, there is a Hotpoint at £462.

Apart from cosmetic differences they all use the same parts, if someone asks us for a Hotpoint we tell them to buy an Indesit and save some money.

Our first recommendation though would always be an LG with Direct Drive.

Associate
Our Miele washer dryer just broke down (smoke started coming out, inside drum was red hot) but it has served a family of 4 for 14 years without a hitch untill now..

So it's either look to have it repaired at the same price as a new LG/Siemens/samsung, buy new at £1100 or just buy a Lg etc

Caporegime
Although I've nothing to compare it to, I've a feeling your probably right on that front. It does seem to be humming away more often than not. It's serving us well though so no complaints.

I tried filling mine with 2 litre bottles of water and then when they were frozen putting them in the fridge lol.

It still hummed away just as much, I can only assume it's because the fridges frost free doesn't use a fan to suck out the moisture like my hotpoint does.

I guess the beko would get full of frost in the fridge if it didn't come on fairly often to melt the ice that gathers on the back wall and then drips down into the tray/pipe

Permabanned
Our Miele washer dryer just broke down (smoke started coming out, inside drum was red hot) but it has served a family of 4 for 14 years without a hitch untill now..

So it's either look to have it repaired at the same price as a new LG/Siemens/samsung, buy new at £1100 or just buy a Lg etc

If you have space for a washer and a dryer that is the way to go.

You can't dry the same amount of clothes as you wash in a washer dryer. The drying load capacity is lower than the washing load capacity.

White Knight tumble dryers are really good, cheap, reliable and easily serviceable and built in the UK too. :D

Associate
Bought a LG Direct Drive washing machine because of the 10 year warranty a couple of months ago, looks like i made the correct decision.

Man of Honour
OP
Well this thread escalated.

I think I'm going to buy a LG one with the direct drive for £500 or so and also get their tumble dryer.

Soldato
Apart from cosmetic differences they all use the same parts, if someone asks us for a Hotpoint we tell them to buy an Indesit and save some money..
That's the same as saying, don't buy an Audi A3 get a Seat Leon instead. Aside from the cosmetics it's the same car.

Last edited:
Soldato
Getting a new kitchen and I have just bought all new appliances, there is no way on earth I would pay for Miele simply can't see the point, a 300 quid washer with a 5 year warranty bolted on will do me. The hot point washer I have now is 10 years old and has about had it now, had various repairs but mainly in years seven plus. I would like one of the lg dd machines but hey don't do them integrated.

Soldato
Can't comment on the Miele however we have an LG with the 'LG Direct Drive' use it pretty much every single day, maybe even 2-3 times a day and is still as silent now as when we bought it 2.5 years ago.

I would deffo recommend an LG.

Soldato
If you have space for a washer and a dryer that is the way to go.

You can't dry the same amount of clothes as you wash in a washer dryer. The drying load capacity is lower than the washing load capacity.

White Knight tumble dryers are really good, cheap, reliable and easily serviceable and built in the UK too. :D

I am really interested in these White Knight tumble dryers. Especially the Gas powered one! Do you think the cost is prohibitively expensive? Have you any experience with them? Would you reccomend a Gas powered one over an electric one?

Soldato
I am really interested in these White Knight tumble dryers. Especially the Gas powered one! Do you think the cost is prohibitively expensive? Have you any experience with them? Would you reccomend a Gas powered one over an electric one?

Looked at White Knight gas tumble dryers, gas is cheaper to run, then, but once you factor in regularly gas servicing costs, plus electric running costs, the A rated Bosch tumble dryer which I finally bought worked out cheaper for me to run in the end, you might find things different if you use it a lot, or include the gas service in with your gas boiler service contract. it may work out cheaper to run.

Also you need a gas connection, & it was going to cost me several hundred pound to have it put in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looked at White Knight gas tumble dryers, gas is cheaper to run, then, but once you factor in regularly gas servicing costs, plus electric running costs, the A rated Bosch tumble dryer which I finally bought worked out cheaper to run in the end.

Also you need a gas connection, & that can cost several hundred pound to put in.

Of course. I was also interested in how it actually worked, as never heard of a gas powered tumble dryer before.

Associate
Go to Miele's website and check their promo pages. There are models with 10 year warranties at the moment. Even when they're not including them for free (although you do need to register) they often offer them for a relatively small premium.

I have a Miele washer, fridge/freezer and vacuum. I rate them very highly. When I get my new house I'm hoping to have enough dosh left over to get a Miele dishwasher.

Associate
me mum had a white knight gas tumble dryer for 20 odd years, The only issue she ever had was the condenser or something needed changing (cost about £50). She only replaced it this year with another white knight! Solid bit of kit.

re ventilation, it just had a vent connected to the outer wall.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom