best version of Ubuntu?

Soldato
12.04 and then tweak it to look like the old interface?

Funnily enough I upgraded from 10.04 to 12.04 today. I had tried Unity back when 11 came out and didn't like it... For now I have left unity on my 12.04 install, with the intention to leave it a week to see if I can get on with it, and if not I'll tweak.

Associate
i got the newest ubuntu last week and im finding it SOO hard to operate, i remember experimenting with ubuntu a while ago and it was much easier and smoother to operate.
Cant even manage to install video drivers and the mouse and windows are extremely laggy, to the point that ive given up because by the time i get anything done il start graying..I guess il try an older ubuntu again.

Don
I don't use Linux much, but as an outsider, I really like Mint XFCE. It looks great right out of the box and is quick, which is what I'm after. I'm put off by the clunky looks of some derivatives before even trying them; KDE for example, always looks a bit out of place.

Last edited:
Soldato
Depending on if you consider it a "version of Ubuntu" Mint is pretty nice, appears to be fairly similar to Ubuntu with the Unity interface stripped away, how similar depends on what window manager you go with (it has several). I've got Mint 14 with the new Cinammon manager and quite like it...

Associate
Im going to try Mint, will all the same nvidia drivers from Ubuntu work on Mint the same way? and is Mint easier or harder to set up than ubuntu? i just want to set it up to use XMBC on my mediacenter

Soldato
Well, I've always used Ubuntu, its easy to install and with GNOME 2 it looked really nice, but now they've introduced the new UI its just not nice to use anymore, and isn't as smooth if you change the UI back to how it used to be.

I may try Arch Linux one day, seems like a lot of effort however, as I'm used to just being able to run WUBI.EXE and have it done in around an hour.

Back
Top Bottom