"Disconnecting" a Gas Cooker - Rules & Regs?

Associate
Moving house so the cooker has to be "disconnected" all of which takes all somebody undoing a bayonet fitting pipe - however ridiculous it seems, I still want to do this properly and don't know if by law it has to be disconnected by a professional registered with the GAS Safe board or if I can do it myself

Well apparently it seems I don't need to call somebody in, I found a document that I believe puts me in the clear to do it myself quoting from here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/landlords/1-april-2009-tb-025-contractor-responsibilities-when-disconnecting-and-reconnecting-gas-cooking-appliances.pdf

The disconnection/reconnection (at the same location) of a self-sealing appliance connector following installation is not deemed ‘gas work’ and therefore may be carried out by a non-registered person(s), for example when a home owner temporarily removes the cooker when cleaning.

Last edited:
Soldato
Perfectly legal, bayonet connections are designed for DIY use, you can disconnect it yourself.

But,you couldn't screw the threaded end of a new hose into the new cooker, as that has to be done by a gas fitter.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thread revival!!

I'm temporarily moving my gas cooker to allow a new floor to go in. It has a bayonet fitting so I can disconnect it here, but it also has an isolation valve a few inches further down (toward the gas supply, not toward the cooker). Should I turn it off at the valve before disconnecting at the bayonet fitting, or does the fitting somehow only work if there is a gas supply to it?

Soldato
If you're "competent" you can do whatever the hell you like with gas in your own property. Competent being the key word here, you need to know how to safely deal with gas and that does not necessarily mean you have to be gas safe. Key points here are that only in your own property and you can show your competency. If your not sure get a gas safe guy in!

Back
Top Bottom