Windows XP Help!

Soldato
Hello!

I have a PC to fix that won't boot into Windows.
Back story: Someone pressed in RESET button on the front of a case with a pencil, after that it didn't work again - comes to "We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.

Then I get the usual options of "Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/ Networking, Safe Mode w/ CMD, Last Known Good Config, Start Windows Normally".

Clicking any of these just restarts the machine and repeats the above.

Unfortunately the HDD is IDE Ribbon and my PC doesn't have IDE so I can't plug it into mine, get the data off and reformat/reinstall.

So I come to you, OcUK, for help!

I've a Windows XP Recovery disc, booted into that, typed in "FIXMBR" and get;

"CAUTION, This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record, FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed. etc etc"

What should I do, what else should I try?

1st Option is I'd like to just get it working again without losing data and not having to reformat/install
2nd Option is to get the data off and reformat.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Tried resetting CMOS. Also, I've got a Hirens BootCD but never had to use it before so no idea which programs to use on it?
Yep just one hard drive. 80GB!

Soldato
OP
Tried FIXBOOT, FIXBMR, Testdisk etc.

Booted mini winXP, got the data off and proceeded to reformat, only to find out "Your CD Key is not valid", apparently the CD Key on the OEM sticker doesn't work with Windows XP SP3, what a PITA. So now I need to grab a copy of WinXP Home Edition SP1 (or SP2) and re-install once again.

Saying that though, it's now stuck on "Microsoft Windows XP (logo) Please Wait...".

Back
Top Bottom