Asus DSL-N55U, Big headache with external Hard Drives!

Soldato
Guys I am really stuck with this! I have two Seagate GoFlex externals attached to an Asus DSL-N55U on a beta firmware. The seagates are 1TB and 2TB.

Basically I appear to be loosing data on both drives! Files are going awol at random, turning into something that can no longer be read, deleted or moved! Tonight has just made my day lol.. A folder was made for Movies and I have lost two at random. The files are there but just report 0 for the size for no reason at all. I have one folder of Dr Who stuff that has somehow cloned itself into another random folder and took out the original contents! How the hell that happend is anyones guess?

I really do not know what is going on? I tried to sort this yesterday by formatting the 2TB on a pc. It passed everything and appears to be ok... Has anyone here got this modem and had issues like this?

If I cant sort this then both drives are being gutted and fitted into a pc, just too much hassle loosing stuff.

Man of Honour
Are the drives definitely formatted to NTFS? (rather than FAT32) and/or are the files your having problems with larger than 4GB? I've never found external drive support on modems/routers to be that great tho from my experience.

Man of Honour
May want to try the Merlin Firmware as thats focused on fixes and stability issues with the modem/router.

Don
There is no Merlin firmware for this router (yet)

I have this router, and I use the latest beta firwmare on it 3.0.0.4.335.

Flash to the that, do the flashing process twice, then do a factory reset by holding the reset button on the back when the router is on for ~15 seconds.

Now setup the router.

-

This will ensure the latest firmware is on there with default settings.

-

Personally ,I don't use the USB ports, I just have a machine setup as a server on my network; I prefer having an OS behind a file server, so I can independently backup files etc

Man of Honour
DOH your right - I thought in one of his recent posts he said he'd got the code for it but actually said they haven't released the GPL code yet.

Soldato
Taking a guess but has the router been switched off or randomly rebooted itself? It could be loosing data that way. Are the drives themselves in good condition??

Soldato
OP
No the router is on 24/7. Maybe once or twice it has thrown a wobbler and needed to be turned off.

The drives appear to be in excellent health... but as with anything mechanical and hard drive related, it is possible they are fubard already.

I have gone to the extreme here and flashed the firmware on the router, I have not tried custom firmware just the oifficial one from asus. Nothing has changed so far... well I am able to copy stuff but odd little things still persist. I cannot even delete certain things, they just re-appear the moment I go anywhere near the drives. Something is not right here and I just cannot figure out what? So I will end up removing both drives. Kinda defeats one of the reasons I chose this router.

Back
Top Bottom