Reduction in hours for same pay

Man of Honour
I was asked a few hours ago in a rather presuming manner if I will be taking my laptop on holiday "in case we have any problems we need you to fix while you're away" (I'm away in Europe for a week in May with friends - it'll be my first "real" holiday in two years).

"Sure. If you pay me an on-call rate every day I'm away or you pay me triple time on any day you do require me to work or you pay me commensurate to me effectively being available to you at all times...".

It's up to you how far you take this and what you do of course but I would not be keen to give up my holidays without a fair measure of recompense. I may not always have major plans for the time I'm away but I do know that I value the time away.

alx

alx

Soldato
I'm a self employed consultant (who just happens to work for only one company). IANAL but if it's not legal, the way that it is not legal is not at all obvious.

Company is not a UK company, I'm an "offshore developer" in that regard. That was the initial reason for me being self employed (simplified payment for them), it just has the convenient side effect of giving me no entitlement to any employee benefits from them.

If you're a contractor then why only 15 days holiday, is that what your contract limits you to?

Soldato
Best of luck - I think I would have pushed for 5% options with something else lined up when they said no.

I've come to realise I'm probably not a great negotiator though :p

Associate
OP
Our agreement has some elements which lean more towards employee nature (equity options and the 15 days of paid holiday) and some elements which lean towards contractor nature (paid by the hour, no sick pay, I buy my own equipment, etc.)

I can and do take unpaid holiday sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom