Insiders Confirm That Windows Blue Might Be Called Windows 8.1

Soldato
Really? It sounds like an epic "ballsd up" to me. Just of the top of my head some of the many problems.

• Window store cannot be Managed by the IT admin?
• Updates cannot be initiated in the background by the IT admin and have to be run per computer and per user!
• Admin can setup Windows Store to auto download but not auto install.
As opposed to iPad and other slate devices? IT admins can manage store app availability with tools like applocker, otherwise the store can be disabled by admin using group policy if required.

Last edited:
Soldato
As opposed to iPad and other slate devices? IT admins can manage store app availability with tools like applocker, otherwise the store can be disabled by admin using group policy if required.
Ipad is no problem anymore not since it had some updates for being managed by IT Admin. As far as I am aware applocker does not solve any of those problems I listed in windows 8.
EDIT: Windows 8 Pro supports configuring AppLocker policies but it does not support enforcing them another problem.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ipad is no problem anymore not since it had some updates for being managed by IT Admin. As far as I am aware applocker does not solve any of those problems I listed in windows 8.
EDIT: Windows 8 Pro supports configuring AppLocker policies but it does not support enforcing them another problem.
App lock allows IT admins to decide which apps can be installed from the store through a white/black list in effect. Permitted apps can also be set to auto download updates (although granted not auto install currently) through group policy.

Of course the store can be disabled completely through group policy and replaced with a private corporate store allowing access to company apps.

Certainly there's room for some fine tuning but hardly a disaster and in line with managing other tablet devices with app stores.

Soldato
Not being able to manage every aspect of the metro stuff is not the same as it being unmanageable for enterprise/business users. But yes, they do need to flesh out those capabilities.

Windows 8 Pro is a perfectly good business class OS. Better than 7 in a lot of ways.

Associate
I work at a high school as an it tech.

One thing i have noticed is that the younger users like windows 8.

Windows 8 is also rather useful on a interactive while board. We haven't deployed windows 8 yet but certain members of staff have got it to trail so we can get their feedback.

So far we have received good feedback.

I hear talk about the app store however we are unable to access the app store due to UAC being disabled.

Associate
Nice to see many people having a open view on windows 8 ... i have tryed win8 pro ...
i wasted money and 2 months of my life trying to get my pc to act normal ..lol
it now refined to recycle bin , like Vista ...
roll on the Real Windows 9 (windows xp sp4) ... lol

Soldato
Nice to see many people having a open view on windows 8 ... i have tryed win8 pro ...
In what way could you not get you PC to act normal that took 2 months of your life? Perhaps someone here could/could have helped or offered advice?

Not sure what you mean by Windows 9 being XP sp4 :confused: Oh, I get it, you were being "funny" ... lol ... rofl ... lmao ... lol

;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Windows 8 is also rather useful on a interactive while board. We haven't deployed windows 8 yet but certain members of staff have got it to trail so we can get their feedback.

If you think it's useful on something like a whiteboard you should try it on a giant touch screen if you ever get the opportunity. I've used it on a 55" touch panel and it's really, really good.

Soldato
OP

I think you are in for a shock if you think Win9 will change things,Microsoft will just improve on Metro etc like they are going to do with Windows Blue/8.1 and also improve things as a hybrid OS,the old Win95-Win7 UI is going so either get use to it or get left behind for good.

As to your first remark well only took me two weeks max to get use to the layout and have Win8 how I use a desktop PC with regards to shortcuts etc..and this is without any Start Button Mod(not needed IMHO),I also customized both Metro and Win+X ,got things how I like them too as many members here have seem my screenshots of my Win8 Desktop in this forum.

As for Vista nothing wrong with that either,OEM companies shipped it with hardware below Vista's minimum recommended specs etc and other companies lazy to get drivers out in those early days so that did a lot of damage,don't forget Win7 is based on Vista anyway and only offers less UAC nagging and slight speed increase IMHO over Vista,I've used those operating systems for many years(apart from Win8 obviously).

Lets be honest its not rocket science and Win8 is damn easy to use.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can change W8 pretty much the same as you can change W7. If you really dislike Metro that much uninstall all the modern UI apps and just use the start screen as a start menu.

Having said that W7 works just fine as well so whatever floats your boat. Metro & WinRT won't be going away however, it may be fine tuned but from here the traditional desktops role in computing will only diminish as MS gradually moves away from being shackled by decades of win32 compatibility with WinRT replacing it as premier environment over the next 5 - 10 years.

Man of Honour
well ... what ever makes you happy with windows 8 ...

i prefer a OS that i can control and change to my needs ,
after all i bought and built the PC ...

Lol, you can do everything you could do on w7, that realy is nothing but BS, based on grand delusion.

Anyway 10% on steam now and 3.17 in general population.
Not great, but not bad seeing as the many difficulty including ms and oems totally ****** up the tablet and laptop market. As well as the lack of upgrade from general people, companies just upgraded to w7, w8 being a totally different UI and it'll take time for people to adapt, they always do in the end.

It's IMO is looking more ad more like Xp, which was laughed at, at first release.
But they aren't breaking into the most important mobile market, and it's all their fault and nothing to do with the os.

Associate
so .. for what i have read so far is ..
windows 8.1 will be service pack 1 ..
development of the pack is on going and should be ready for release in august ..
theres gossip on the web that microsoft will be charging windows8 customers for updating ...

Last edited:
Soldato
well ... what ever makes you happy with windows 8 ...

i prefer a OS that i can control and change to my needs ,
after all i bought and built the PC ...
if u love win7 then that's fine. nobody is telling you to upgrade. but future versions of windows will have metro so you'll be on win7 till MS stops the updates for it.

Soldato
development of the pack is on going and should be ready for release in august ..
theres gossip on the web that microsoft will be charging windows8 customers for updating ...

It makes little sense to charge for this update, which is what the gossip peddlers fail to take into account.

Soldato
OP

Quite the opposite,

Microsoft has officially confirmed Blue, which is an extensive update to Windows 8 that brings more improvements than a basic Service Pack, without being a full new version of the OS.

Windows Blue will mark a shift to annual updates, similar to how Apple releases OS X versions. It's expected to be a cheap upgrade, if not free, for Windows 8 users.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/380713/windows-blue-8-1-screenshots-features-expected-release-date

So its more then a basic service pack ie has new added features etc also my betting is Win8 users will get it free.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
More info Win8.1 http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2013/04/02/windows-blue-called-windows-8-1/1

article_img.jpg

Soldato
OP
If it's 10p it's too much, it needs to be absolutely free. Which it will be, unless they put a monkey in charge of platform strategy.

If I was in charge I would give it to Win8 users for free and a low price for Win7 users.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/windows-blue-update-will-be-called-windows-8-1-50010813/

Windows Blue is the codename for the first major update to Windows 8. When it arrives, under the name Windows 8.1, the update will bring new touch options, resizable live tiles on the home screen, and a new way to have two apps side-by-side for multitasking.

8.1 is also set to be the first annual update as Microsoft moves to upgrading the software every year instead of every few years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom