Bitcoin mining

Soldato
Suddenly everyone is a gamer and a get rich quick prospector

CLUE you have already missed the boat

The Litecoin boat is still in the docks though :)
I've been reading that mining litecoins then converting them to bitcoins is becoming more productive than mining bitcoins directly. I plan to put it to the test later today.

Associate
Litecoins are currently worth (at this second) 3.94 USD, I am mining 4.7 of these every 24 hours, I pay 10.9p per KwH, my PC is consuming 400w, so I am paying £1.05 every day in electric and make $18.52, after converting to GBP this is 12.07, less the £1.05 gives me a net profit of £11.02 every 24 hours. Clearly this will diminish over time, but hopefully the share price will increase, this is the gambling part.

I have been doing this for just over 2 months now, have 297 litecoins that I could trade in at any second and earn 762.76, less my electric cost of £70 and it's easy money.
Going to keep at it for another month or so then pay for me and my family to go on holiday.

This is with 2 undervolted 7950's, only doing 1000 khash/s as I am balancing the increase in khash with a sharp rise in KwH produced at the wall with over clocking the cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
Litecoins are currently worth (at this second) 3.94 USD, I am mining 4.7 of these every 24 hours, I pay 10.9p per KwH, my PC is consuming 400w, so I am paying £1.05 every day in electric and make $18.52, after converting to GBP this is 12.07, less the £1.05 gives me a net profit of £11.02 every 24 hours. Clearly this will diminish over time, but hopefully the share price will increase, this is the gambling part.

I have been doing this for just over 2 months now, have 297 litecoins that I could trade in at any second and earn 762.76, less my electric cost of £70 and it's easy money.
Going to keep at it for another month or so then pay for me and my family to go on holiday.

This is with 2 undervolted 7950's, only doing 1000 khash/s as I am balancing the increase in khash with a sharp rise in KwH produced at the wall with over clocking the cards.

How does one start doing this?

Soldato

Very nice!

Soldato

Which pool is that on?

Last edited:
Associate
I have unmetered electricity in my uni halls so just going to rinse my crossfire 6950s until I move out, I'm mining LiteCoins on the LitePool.eu pool using cgminer averaging about 655Mh/s

Soldato
Ok that makes sense so thanks but I don't understand where the value comes from. Money used to be valued to the gold standard so what would be the equivalent gold standard for BTC?

The value comes from the value people place on it. The higher the demand is for them, the higher the value people are willing to pay for them. Because there are so few shops that actually accept BTC as payment, I would say that the majority of people buying BTC are people seeing the massive price rises and attempting to buy low and sell high. Essentially the entire market is probably people waiting for it to get to a high enough price before they can sell and make a nice profit. Then as soon as this happens the price will dip, everyone else will start to panic sell and the BTC economy will crash, leaving everyone who paid a silly amount of money for one of those ASIC machines will suddenly be left with a machine that is only good for mining worthless BTC.

Soldato
You're doing it wrong then.

Never mind, I got it working. I couldn't connect to give-me-ltc, but I'm able to connect to litepool.eu. Getting about 260kH/s at low power settings which allow me to do other stuff on the computer. I can get about 450 when I throttle it up to the maximum settings for my GPUs. No idea what that translates to in litecoins, since my wallet is still synchronising and the litecoin miner doesn't give me a real-time count of the amount collected.

Soldato
That's what I was trying to understand about this Bitcoin thing.

I can't ever see shops or normal businesses having Bitcoin as a form of transaction. I do see though that as others have pointed out, that Bitcoin is popular for unscrupulous transactions for the lack of accountability.

Surely though, anyone who is buying coins to buy whatever kind of material they do, there is only ever going to be so much they are willing to pay to buy coins to then purchase what they require. So its going to reach a stage where these coins are worth more than people want to buy them for.

Soldato
Yep, which is why I think mining coins is far more sensible than buying them at the moment. Mining them doesn't cost you anything except the electricity used to run your PC, so even if (when) the market crashes, you haven't lost much. But if your plan is to buy these things for the purposes of speculation... I think the boat has sailed.

Of course, I may be eating crow in a couple of months time when their value has increased another four-fold or whatever.

Associate
Can't see them going much higher without some huge systemic crisis in the global economy. Some have suggested the banks still have loads of toxic debt, but they seem to be doing a good job keeping it secret.

Soldato
Can't see them going much higher without some huge systemic crisis in the global economy. Some have suggested the banks still have loads of toxic debt, but they seem to be doing a good job keeping it secret.

So if **** hits the fan then there's going to be huge demand for currency that is not a legal tender anywhere in the world and relies solely on goodwill of few places to accept it?

My view is that the exact opposite will happen if **** hits the fan, bitcoin will crash.

Back
Top Bottom