Crucials new SSD! The M500! Pre-order for stock end of week!

Soldato
Is there an ETA for availability on the mSATA variants, also are they likely to be similar in pricing to the full sized drives?

Caporegime
Associate
Looks like better write endurance than the Samsung 840, lower power consumption than most drives, and better degraded performance than the M4. However, initial benchmarks are somewhat disappointing, and the Plextor is really seeming like the better buy to me here, using the same controller but coming out ahead in benchmarks, with a better warranty as well.
Maybe future firmware updates will make it more interesting but personally, I see no compelling reason to pick it over its competition - unless of course you're going for the 960GB where nothing comes close in terms of price if you need something that large.

Associate
It sounds like the added latency and extra processing that the 16k pages require is just a lot for the controller to handle. I wouldn't count on drastic increases with firmware.

Overall, after the pricing settles, I would probably choose the m500 over an 840 non-pro as a general use system drive, and definitley not choose the m500 over most competition if I did regular tranfers of large date sets/files (although the price of the 960if needed is attractive). The 120GB m500 I don't think any case can be made for unless it drops substantially in price.

Last edited:
Associate
It sounds like the added latency and extra processing that the 16k pages require is just a lot for the controller to handle. I wouldn't count on drastic increases with firmware.

Probably not drastic, no, but there may be some improvement at least.

Overall, after the pricing settles, I would probably choose the m500 over an 840 non-pro as a general use system drive, and definitley not choose the m500 over most competition if I did regular tranfers of large date sets/files (although the price of the 960if needed is attractive). The 120GB m500 I don't think any case can be made for unless it drops substantially in price.

The problem is, at the minute the pricing of the M500 is so close to the 840 Pro, Plextor M5P, etc that you may as well stump up the extra few £ for one of those. I'd choose the M500 over the non-pro, certainly, but then why not pay the little extra again?

Soldato
They can probably squeeze a bit more out of the 9187 with further firmware updates. I think I'll give it a miss for now, ordered an M5M instead - was tempted by the Mushkin Atlas, but I still don't trust Sandforce.

However as a good will gesture, price will be reduced to £499.99inc which as far as i can see is the lowest price in the UK now that is actually "correct" and from a reseller who will have stock and not a reseller who has a phantom product.

Looks like Crucial are trying to shaft resellers, as they're selling it direct for less. The joke's on them as it's still not worth buying.

Last edited:
Soldato
If what Andrew Moors says is true, than ocuk has been shafted, as direct they're cheaper on 480 and 960.

I don't think I will buy another crucial drive now, not when I got shafted by them on the 4k read performance degrading to nothing (huge thread on their forums) and they just ignored everyone.

Last edited:
Soldato
Classic mistake companies seem to make in the IT space, releasing a product that is not as good as the last gen.. No way am I forking out 500 quid for a drive that has worse than last gen performance.. Whatever the factors behind it.. Went for a sandisk extreme instead in the end, not quite the capacity I needed, but keen price and much faster than the M500...

Soldato
OP
If what Andrew Moors says is true, than ocuk has been shafted, as direct they're cheaper on 480 and 960.

I don't think I will buy another crucial drive now, not when I got shafted by them on the 4k read performance degrading to nothing (huge thread on their forums) and they just ignored everyone.

Theres just enough movement to hit the 480GB which will be amended when stock frees up but as for the 960GB, very disappointed in Crucial for doing that. Even our competitors at best are the same as us or within a few pence. :(

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Are you sure?

One of your competitors is only £6.55 more expensive (960GB model) than Crucial direct.

Soldato
OP
Are you sure?

One of your competitors is only £6.55 more expensive (960GB model) than Crucial direct.

We have 5 competitors, the rest are just smaller and use EDI mostly. If they dont hold stock they are not competition and if they do and they havent been looked at then they cant pose much of a threat to us. :p

Anyone can set up a site and a feed taking a couple of quid profit off of cost to just shift boxes out of someone elses warehouse which I can see a few have done.

Checking these 5 competitors and a number of smaller companies shows £499.99 as the lowest price.

Associate
They can probably squeeze a bit more out of the 9187 with further firmware updates. I think I'll give it a miss for now, ordered an M5M instead - was tempted by the Mushkin Atlas, but I still don't trust Sandforce.
Looks like Crucial are trying to shaft resellers, as they're selling it direct for less. The joke's on them as it's still not worth buying.

Stating SF as untrustable happened to be a boring old story. This was a wrong perception many had & is past. I simply say to my tech friends to try any of the latest SF based SSDs on your own before you state on a forum that you do not trust SF. I simply do not get influenced by following blog threads & do not postfor any commercial gain.

Back
Top Bottom