Quality cheap after market clutch and break levers

Soldato
A lot of people recommend this seller for cheap levers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/the2wheel...h=item43a061fe0c&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I suspect this may open up a huge debate on cheap copy levers. All I'll say is i've snapped a few OEM levers and been less than impressed with the metal quality.

I've also owned 2 pairs of levers from the above seller with no problems at all.

Your'll get mixed opinions on them I'm sure.
ot mine from same place, superb service and quality of product had mine on around nearly a year now...

Soldato
The standard lever on the 1050 tiger has 4 position adjustment all of which are too far away new lever should be closer

Do you have small hands or is this a common complaint on the Tiger? It's quite possible that the existing lever could be modified to bring it closer, but certainly not by bending it (is it perhaps already bent outwards?).

Whatever you do, you must ensure that there is sufficient clearance for full braking effort well before the lever reaches the twist grip.

Associate
Sorry to highjack the thread, I've just installed new levers and had a bit of a problem with the front brake. When I have the bike stood still and squeeze the lever it's fine, however if I move the bike there seems to be a lot of free play in the lever before it bites, if I pump it twice it goes away. Didn't notice this issue with the stock lever, any ideas what could cause this?

Soldato
If its fine when the bike is stood still then goes spongy when you move the bike I'd check the brake discs are not warped.

If the discs are warped it will push the pistons back into the caliper slightly when the wheel rotates giving you a spongy lever as it takes up the slack. You may not notice it when riding as the heat build up will push the pads against the discs.

It may also be the MC push rod isn't seat properly or the levers hole for the rod is too deep which will give a bit more free play in the lever.

It could also be air trapped in the system, so bleeding the brakes may resolve the problem.

But seeing as you have to pump the lever and then its fine I'd check the discs first.

Associate
I did suspect that the pads felt like they were being pushed back or something but it seemed odd that it didn't do it with the stock lever. I still get quite a decent amount of bite but I have to pull the lever really far back to get it and go through bit of a dead spot. When the weather isn't so vile I will go and take it off and try it again or try the stock lever and see what happens I guess

Associate
OP
Do you have small hands or is this a common complaint on the Tiger? It's quite possible that the existing lever could be modified to bring it closer, but certainly not by bending it (is it perhaps already bent outwards?).

Whatever you do, you must ensure that there is sufficient clearance for full braking effort well before the lever reaches the twist grip.

This is a fairly common issue on the tiger, there is a fix that involves grindng the little locating lug off

Soldato
Old Lever
OldLever.jpg

New Lever
NewLever.jpg

Took 15minutes to fit and work well, but there's no way I can 2 finger the clutch as it's just so heavy, 3 fingers is working but my pinky floats in space

Back
Top Bottom