Bitcoin mining

Soldato
You don't spend them, you sell them for cash.

Anyway as for the warm fuzzy feeling thing doing protein folding...
Being as my PS3 used to do that but all I get now when logging in is "The program has successfully concluded" I thought I'd try something else.

Associate
I mined bitcoins 2 years ago. I had 3 machines going comprising 2 x 5970's , 4x 5870's 2x 5850's and a 5830.

It took over months of my life. Yes I'm sad. I was forever checking the value, the pools I used to mine everything. It consumed my life.

I had remote access to my pcs on my smart phone I was forever checking. Back then the price was a tender a coin. When the market dipped ( and it does ) down to £2.50 I stopped. Totally lost heart.

I had however mined 300 coins. I always believed bitcoin would come good for me.

I sold my coins last week on intersango. Money is in my bank. Happy days :)

Soldato
I mined bitcoins 2 years ago. I had 3 machines going comprising 2 x 5970's , 4x 5870's 2x 5850's and a 5830.

It took over months of my life. Yes I'm sad. I was forever checking the value, the pools I used to mine everything. It consumed my life.

I had remote access to my pcs on my smart phone I was forever checking. Back then the price was a tender a coin. When the market dipped ( and it does ) down to £2.50 I stopped. Totally lost heart.

I had however mined 300 coins. I always believed bitcoin would come good for me.

I sold my coins last week on intersango. Money is in my bank. Happy days :)

So you made £50,000 give or take?! That's incredible!

Associate
Haha no where near £50,000. I wish. There has to be a demand for that many coins at that high a price. I made £12,600.

I placed lots of little sell orders to maximise my return. The problem with bitcoin is its very new and very fragile. If you drop a huge amount onto the exchanges in one go the price crashes.

In my opinion it's not worth mining now. It's not feasible. Once you offset your electricity costs against the ever increasing difficulty level the return now is very small.

I set up again last night and mined 8 hours on my 7970 with my old pool and we didn't even find a block!
Loads of he fellas I used to mine with are still doing it but they are based in Holland and have some free electricity deal or something and they are now pushing out some serious mega hashes but they ain't rich yet, even with the massive price hike.

If and it's a big if the ASIC devices do ever ship, the first few people with them are going to make a fortune until it plateaus out, everyone who's serious about minng has one and the difficulty has skyrocketed.

Just so you know when I was mining the difficulty was under 750000, now look at it!

Man of Honour
is bitcoin mining the reason why 5870's are selling for ~£150 atm? if so im tempted to sell mine now while some buyers think the sun is still shining
I cant think of any other reason for the 2nd hand value to be so high

Last edited:
Caporegime
Haha no where near £50,000. I wish. There has to be a demand for that many coins at that high a price. I made £12,600.

I placed lots of little sell orders to maximise my return. The problem with bitcoin is its very new and very fragile. If you drop a huge amount onto the exchanges in one go the price crashes.

In my opinion it's not worth mining now. It's not feasible. Once you offset your electricity costs against the ever increasing difficulty level the return now is very small.

I set up again last night and mined 8 hours on my 7970 with my old pool and we didn't even find a block!
Loads of he fellas I used to mine with are still doing it but they are based in Holland and have some free electricity deal or something and they are now pushing out some serious mega hashes but they ain't rich yet, even with the massive price hike.

If and it's a big if the ASIC devices do ever ship, the first few people with them are going to make a fortune until it plateaus out, everyone who's serious about minng has one and the difficulty has skyrocketed.

Just so you know when I was mining the difficulty was under 750000, now look at it!

Nice one! As I said earlier, if you were an early adopter you could have made decent money from this.

There just doesn't seem to be any point now. I mean you could speculate on them but due to the difficulty of large transactions and the wild fluctuations, it would be extremely risky.

Back
Top Bottom