getting back in to biking after 11 years off

Soldato
didn't intend it being that long off one, but the years seem to have flown by.
just been in the spare room, dug out all my old motorcycle gear. not seen it in 11 years lol
all still fits and in good condition, just need a new helmet as mine is 18 years old, hopefully will be getting a bike in 3-4 weeks.

looking at getting an 80's superbike or a 90's retro, done the race rep
so want a bike without a fairing, wish I had kept my old Suzuki GS1000 now

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You won't regret it one little bit. I didn't ride for 20 years and when I got on a bike again in late 2011, it was bliss.

yes really looking forward to it now

I also had a 20 year break, so many wasted years. Don't like going a day without getting out now.

What lid are you looking at?

not sure yet but just something a plain black

Man of Honour
I had a 10year break and did about 300miles the day I picked it up, the first few miles were a bit wobbly, you soon get into the flow though. Can't say I enjoyed that first day though, the first part in the Lake District was very nice. Way home was dark, wet and very windy.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Check out doing a bikesafe course, you might get lucky and pick one up for free in your area. Basicly its one day in the classroom going over various Do`s and Dont`s, new techniques etc then you get a assessed ride the week or so after. In the Derby Notts area its run in tandem with the police and its the police that did our assessed ride. Its not exactly fun being followed by a Plod Bike for 4-5hrs but they really really know there stuff and very much worthwhile. (even though after 1hr or so, he ripped me to bits for some bad habits)

Not to put a downer on it, but your in the highest category for accident coming back after a break so take it safe :) and let us know how you get on.

Associate
The old man had a GS1000, may remember it being "great back in the day" but in reality you would be riding a bike with poor brakes, a frame that moves in cornering and a tank constantly rusting!

Dont know what your budget is but an XJR1300 might be good?

Associate
I miss my superduke a lot, but i cant really afford 3 lots of ins tax and mot's.. I also feel that after seeing my mates being knocked off by careless drivers, i'm even less reluctant to risk my life!

Soldato
OP
The old man had a GS1000, may remember it being "great back in the day" but in reality you would be riding a bike with poor brakes, a frame that moves in cornering and a tank constantly rusting!

Dont know what your budget is but an XJR1300 might be good?

no not as good as todays bikes for sure but I found it fine, never got in to trouble with its handling or brakes

Soldato
OP
well I have decided to have the bike above
its having a 52 point check\new mot so should be getting it late next week.
2 owners from new with 33,000 miles
has some nice extras in the yoshi can\rear tail tidy\undertray\Braided Brake Lines and renthal bars
cost me £1480

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
still waiting for the bike, the service and check before the mot has shown the rear shock is tired, so there replacing it(better them doing it now than me later), just waiting for it to arrive so looking like mid next week now with it being bank hols.

Soldato
When I originally moved out to the USA back in 2004, I didn't immediately buy a bike, after many many yrs of ownership, well since i was 16! One of the reasons for my absence was because my wife and I had just had a baby at the time. Then I flew out to California and rented a CBR600RR and rode around some of the best roads I've ever ridden on. It had been three yrs. & it was as good as sex. I rode for 12hrs a day. Actually my clutch hand was so sore, i ended up going thru the gears without the clutch, but was enjoying myself so much that I couldn't stop and was just too busy cherishing every moment.

Nowadays I go for a 60-70 road trip every weekend. I'm not sure i'll ever stop riding.

Soldato
When I originally moved out to the USA back in 2004, I didn't immediately buy a bike, after many many yrs of ownership, well since i was 16! One of the reasons for my absence was because my wife and I had just had a baby at the time. Then I flew out to California and rented a CBR600RR and rode around some of the best roads I've ever ridden on. It had been three yrs. & it was as good as sex. I rode for 12hrs a day. Actually my clutch hand was so sore, i ended up going thru the gears without the clutch, but was enjoying myself so much that I couldn't stop and was just too busy cherishing every moment.

Nowadays I go for a 60-70 road trip every weekend. I'm not sure i'll ever stop riding.

I find that I get cravings to ride the bike every couple of weeks if I don't get my weekly fix. E.g. last weekend, I didn't really get out on it much, but I had a spare couple of hours today so went out for a little run. I need to get a trip planned now!

Back
Top Bottom