*** 2013 Blue Tit nesting box - LIVE Stream***

Soldato
Following on from the last thread that was becoming quite cluttered, I thought I'd give you a thread where I can give updates as and when an interesting event occurs!

Here is last years nesting box:

Here is our new live feed for 2013:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bridgwater-college-blue-tit-nesting-camera

A few screen grabs from the past week or two:

http://imgur.com/a/j1zd7

Images are in date order, and yes, it was full of nesting material - this was from last years Blue **** and was then emptied completely by our new pair

Soldato
OP
Might also add, they're very active this morning. Especially in their arranging of feathers in the nesting material.

I'd expect some eggs to be laid within the next week or so.

Last edited:
Associate
This is great, Ill get some pics up of the ones that nested in my box last year, I have it all set-up again, but I think with the amount of bird feeders I have now, there may be too much competition on the boxes, would this cause any issues?

Also, shouldn't you have emptied out last years nesting, I was told previously that mites can cause nesting issues for the new birds?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Come on birds, do something!

I'll be updating the thread when they lay their first egg, and they should lay roughly one per day for about 10 days.

worst tv program ever.

Blue Tit in the hedge outside my window now, they appear every 5 minutes or so and throw a few new pieces of nesting material in.

Another bridgwater lad here:D

Hello there! :) Where roughly in Bridgwater?

This is great, Ill get some pics up of the ones that nested in my box last year, I have it all set-up again, but I think with the amount of bird feeders I have now, there may be too much competition on the boxes, would this cause any issues?

Also, shouldn't you have emptied out last years nesting, I was told previously that mites can cause nesting issues for the new birds?

We should have emptied it, but by the time we'd read that we were supposed to, it was already being visited by the birds. We left it, and they emptied it themselves.

It hasn't seemed to have caused many problems for them so far. *fingers crossed*

Soldato
OP
Hamp Estate.

I used to live there ;)

Cool, just had a look, and seen one of the parents take out feathers and plucking around the nest, subscribed. :)

My connection at home is too slow to stream it so I have to wait till Monday or check it when I'm out on my phone. :(

We have just had the first egg in ours this morning :cool:

Fingers crossed we see our first egg soon too. They seem to have started a little later this year with all the cold weather.

Associate
Me and my Mrs want to do something like this - just wondering what sort of gear you need to do it cameras etc ?

You can buy boxes with cameras already in them. Ebay has cheaper options, or the RSPB sell more expensive ones. I havent seen both to compare pro/cons.

Obviously they need a power supply for the camera, but you can choose to transfer the signal using either wired or wireless connection to your tv. We chose wireless and the picture is perfect.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom