*** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note II Thread ***

Man of Honour
There is no self importance, you threw out an insult so you should fully expect to get a response, the moment you posted that all ounces of credibility you had vanished. Besides I don't see anyone here being "very impressed" by this battery.

hmm ok...
I think that there was an option when rom was flashing...clearly not;D

There is but it's for 23 toggles and battery icon, not transparency, for that it is as Bloomfield mentioned :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking for keyboard similar to one in N4.
Need one that will fix spelling mistakes for me unless I tell it not to - am writing in 2 languages and am adding my words as I type to the spell checker.
Does it make sense?
And how to minimize keyboard??

Soldato
Need one that will fix spelling mistakes for me unless I tell it not to - am writing in 2 languages and am adding my words as I type to the spell checker.
Does it make sense?

Dunno what the one on the N4 is like but ... I am using the swipey keyboard in the last update from Samsung and it corrects my spelling mistakes (oddly with the state of my spelling my phone is still alive!:D). You should be able to minimize they keyboard with the back button.

Man of Honour
Does it make sense?

Swype BETA, Swiftkey and Jelly Bean Keyboard are what I use. The last one is ideal as a stock looking and feeling keyboard. It autocorrects as you're wanting and has swipe to type functions as well in the free version.

I flick between all 3 regularly just for observational purposes. SwiftKey's swipe isn't as accurate as Swype though, it often doesn't pick up complex words or short words where Swype has no problem.

Soldato
^ Unlucky.

The Samsung executive officer who is in contact with me said I will be receiving a visit from 2 couriers today. One will be dropping off my replacement Note 2 handset, the other will be collecting my 'damaged' Note 2 as well as the S3 which they sent in error.

No courier arrived to delivery any handset yet the other one did come to pick up the two parcels. I sent off the S3 with him but kept hold of the Note as it's the only phone I've got to use atm. I wonder if this replacement is ever gonna come.

Soldato
almost done with mine...all set...keyboard installed, app as well - I think...
now pretty please advise on Must Have apps for Note 2 ;)

shortly will go to essential android apss but maybe someone here will share his knowledge ;)

Soldato
oh..another question...
In Nexus by swiping finger from bottom you had google now/search..
can I only get it via shortcut now ?

NEVERMIND..Nova and swipe action worked;)

Man of Honour
Okay all the cases are now here, I have 4 to compare in total, the Nilkin I got a while back which is now busted from the fall but still useful to compare.

Anyway, here we go. The dimensions listed below are in relation to the gauge I'm using, it's not been calibrated so is slightly out so I've measured the Note II, please use that instead of the official dimensions - If that makes sense.

I received the Tech21 and Flexishield from Gearzap.

Pics

set_front.jpg

set_back.jpg

Nillkin - Flexishield Clear - Samsung Protection+ - Tech21 Impact Snap

Nilkin
nilkin_front.jpg

nilkin_back.jpg

Flexishield Clear
flexi_front.jpg

flexi_back.jpg

Samsung Protection+
samsung_front.jpg

samsung_back.jpg

Tech21 Impact Snap
tech21_front.jpg

tech21_back.jpg

Dimensions

Note II, no case:
W 80.26mm
H 149.7mm
D 9.9mm

Nillkin:
W 82.73mm
H 150.95mm
D 11.39mm

Flexishield:
W 83.76mm
H 153.33mm
D 12.05mm

Samsung Protection+:
W 83.75mm
H 154.38mm
D 11.45mm

Tech21:
W 84.63mm
H 151.4mm
D 12.21mm

Thoughts

Nillkin:
Looks and feels the best of the lot and is also the thinnest. Ultimately it offers the least protection as I have found just this very week and the half mm chip from my bezel/screen edge will forever remind me of this. As careful as I am with our things things, accidents do indeed happen sadly. The Nillkin has excellent grip.

All of the buttons are very easy to press, no obstructions or issues.

Flexishield:
This one is quite flexible and offers some impact protection around all edges. It looks the cheapest though and feels like an eBay case. It does the job but won't make a phone like the Note II, something that otherwise looks very professional, any favours for style. Not as grippy as the Nilkin but still easy to hold and not worry about slipping.

The power and volume buttons on this case don't give enough feedback. It's hard to tell if you've pressed a button or not through it.

Samsung Protection+:
This looks quite good and doesn't make the Note 2 ugly. It feels good as well and has a slightly bigger screen lip for protection. The back is all glossy and because of that I found fingerprints and smudges plastered all over it even with the lightest touch. It will also get that cobweb look over time as it's hard plastic. I feel it offers better all round protection than the Flexishield but it is a bit thicker than the Nilkin.
Grip levels aren't as good as the Flexishield on this sadly because the surround is soft flexible plastic but not matte enough to have decent enough grip. The glossy back helps here though as it's not slippery and your palm sticks to it in a way during use.

All buttons have excellent feedback using this, I was able to press buttons to change track through my front jacket pocket on the way home from work without fail. Samsung have put more effort into this case unlike the Flexishield and others like it.

Tech21:
This looks good and feels good but offers no grip, the whole case is course matte plastic except for the absorption pads on the inside. I've seen youtube videos of how this material reacts to impacts with impressive results.

The Tech21 is a bit thicker than the Nilkin but protects the side bezel only like the Nillkin and equally like it, there are no issues pressing any buttons. This case sits tighter around the phone as well and combined with those pads should hopefully mean it doesn't ping off in the event of an accident.

For some reason I prefer this case over the Nilkin now. Even though it's less grippy I like the way it feels and those absorption pads may become useful.

Last edited:
Associate
mrk said:
There is no self importance, you threw out an insult so you should fully expect to get a response, the moment you posted that all ounces of credibility you had vanished. Besides I don't see anyone here being "very impressed" by this battery.

You've repeated that magic trick of yours, of reading something I haven't actually written. I have never mentioned "very impressed" in the context of forum users' impressions or anything else, but as you have raised it I will admit that I am "very impressed" with the ability of the manufacturer to design, build and bring to market this not seen before capacity, and at such a low price. As for the forumites who have commented here, it's not as though there have a great number of contributions so far, plus the thing has only recently come out. I'll email the manufacturer in a year, hopefully they will let me know the number sold.

I genuinely thought your "it's less than some" comment could have been an immature response from a young person, or an incorrect point from a foreign person who didn't realise that this comment didn't make much sense, but I accept with hindsight that this was a tongue-in-cheek (and now funny) comment.

An emoticon would have helped me there but I have discovered that the Overclockers android app (which I have been using) doesn't show me these, so I missed your emoticon after your offer to bet, which caused me to incorrectly gauge your tone. Also, at the time I commented about your age or first language, I hadn't spotted just how many posts you had made on this forum, which would have confirmed to me that you couldn't be young and that English was indeed your first language.

Therefore I apologise for giving the impression I was insulting you. Hopefully this has concluded our debate and you can direct your energy back towards assisting forumites with their queries :)

Kind regards

Flyer01

Posted from Overclockers.co.uk App for Android

Man of Honour
You've repeated that magic trick of yours, of reading something I haven't actually written. I have never mentioned "very impressed" in the context of forum users' impressions or anything else, but as you have raised it I will admit that I am "very impressed" with the ability of the manufacturer to design, build and bring to market this not seen before capacity, and at such a low price. As for the forumites who have commented here, it's not as though there have a great number of contributions so far, plus the thing has only recently come out. I'll email the manufacturer in a year, hopefully they will let me know the number sold.

I genuinely thought your "it's less than some" comment could have been an immature response from a young person, or an incorrect point from a foreign person who didn't realise that this comment didn't make much sense, but I accept with hindsight that this was a tongue-in-cheek (and now funny) comment.

An emoticon would have helped me there but I have discovered that the Overclockers android app (which I have been using) doesn't show me these, so I missed your emoticon after your offer to bet, which caused me to incorrectly gauge your tone. Also, at the time I commented about your age or first language, I hadn't spotted just how many posts you had made on this forum, which would have confirmed to me that you couldn't be young and that English was indeed your first language.

Therefore I apologise for giving the impression I was insulting you. Hopefully this has concluded our debate and you can direct your energy back towards assisting forumites with their queries :)

Kind regards

Flyer01

Posted from Overclockers.co.uk App for Android

That is all fair and a lesson to learn for all of us, to not rely on apps that don't give full context to content posted because people may get the wrong impression when things get lost in translation! :p

Alright, I should apologise as well for going off on one as I do stand my ground when something seems off. It's not really needed at all but sometimes it can't be helped unfortunately.

Also, I should probably have put that quote as a paraphrase, at the time this is how it read is all. My bad, heat of the moment :o

Back on topic about the Note, anyone for a matte official back? :D

matteback_2.jpg

matteback_3.jpg

matteback_1.jpg

Soldato
That is all fair and a lesson to learn for all of us, to not rely on apps that don't give full context to content posted because people may get the wrong impression when things get lost in translation! :p

Alright, I should apologise as well for going off on one as I do stand my ground when something seems off. It's not really needed at all but sometimes it can't be helped unfortunately.

Also, I should probably have put that quote as a paraphrase, at the time this is how it read is all. My bad, heat of the moment :o

Back on topic about the Note, anyone for a matte official back? :D

matteback_2.jpg

matteback_3.jpg

matteback_1.jpg

looks lovely!!
where did you get one ?
and if by
anyone for matte official back
mean that you are giving it away I raise my hand in the air ;)

Man of Honour
I was in Asda earlier, walked past the kitchen aisle and saw scouring pads then suddenly remembered the S2 DIY matte days for the second time today, bought a pack of the pads and got to work on my battery cover :D

It's still unfinished but you get the idea of what it's going to look like. For that finish I went through 4 scouring pads. They're 45P for a pack of 6 so relatively inexpensive and I prefer the matte finish over glossy (and scratchy).

You could experiment with other materials like wet sandpaper and see what results you get. I knew scouring pads work so haven't tried any other way :p

Soldato
It may take a couple of charges for battery to settle.
Does any of you use Google now has it on all the time?
Do you keep GPS on all the time?
Battery must be great but still having all on won't help will it...

Back
Top Bottom