Crib Goch - Snowdon

Soldato
Looking going camping at some point over the next few weeks depending on the weather, and fancy climbing snowdon.

How challenging is Crib Goch going to be for a novice?

There'll be a few of us, late twenties/early thirties all athletic. A bit of DOE experience but that about it.

Does it sound feasible? How long would you allow for ascent and decent?

Any recommendations on maps?

Thanks

Associate
Ideally you'll want to be with someone who's been there before. It's a bit scary, and very exposed. While we were there, there were two falls and people had to be heli-lifted off.

Also make sure you have the proper footgear. The other thing I remember is a bunch of ninnies doing it in trainers and not having a great time.

If you haven't been up Snowdon before, there's plenty of other challenging paths (e.g. Pyg + Miners) that are great fun.

Maps aren't necessary as the paths are clearly marked.

Soldato
If your a novice stay clear of Crib Goch. As has been said above there are plenty of other routes up Snowdon that can be both fun and challenging. I'd recommend the Pyg Track - that's about six hours to do in total.

The Glyderau are a less populated alternative and the ascent up the Devils Kitchen is a challenge but doable if you are careful. Gets you a good view of my favourite of all the Snowdonian mountains, the sublime Tryfan.

My advice is to avoid anything challenging unless you are with somebody who has experience and to put aside any ideas of going across Crib Goch. She can look tempting in nice weather but will throw you off sooner than look at you. I'm an experienced mountain walker (and have spent decades in Snowdonia) and Crib Goch still scares me.

Soldato
Thanks for the feedback. I'll check out some of those other routes.

Are any of them scrambles? I don't want to simply walk, hence avoiding the stroll along routes like Llanberis path.

Parts of the Pyg Track are in places.

The Devils Kitchen is, as are parts of the Glyderau. The mother of all scrambles is Tryfan though. Do that one once and you'll be hooked for life. However at a Grade 1 scramble it isn't for those without real experience.

Associate
If you want an interesting view of Crib Goch there is a video on YouTube of some chap or maniac practically running it.

+1 for Tryfan epic little climb. Climbing Adam and Eve at the top is not recommended but well worth the rush!!

Pen-yr-owlen done from the Ogwen Cottage side is a nice but long scramble.

Associate
I've done Crib Goch a couple of times, once in terrible cloud with a friend when young and foolish, once with my wife in beautiful sunshine. As others have said, I wouldn't recommend it as an introduction to scrambling.

Have a look at Moel Siabod, not far from Snowdon - with great views of Snowdon from the top. There's an interesting route up that's a good introduction to scrambling, because you can choose how scary you make it by how close to the edge you go. On Crib Goch you are committed to scary exposure.

Associate
that's disappointing, I was looking at doing it, the photos don't look to bad. kind of put me off though.

It's hard to show the drop in a photo, it's a long way down :p

It all depends on what you are used to. It's a big walk so you need to be fit, but you also need to be really really sure you aren't going to freeze with fear with exposure. I'm not great with heights, but I know what I can do.

It is a great trip though, well worth doing tamer stuff to get the skills up.

Soldato
OP
I've looked at the Crib Goch videos and don't see anything much about it other than it's narrow and there's drops either side. It doesn't actually look that much fun.

Tryfan on the other hand actually looks more like what I'm looking for.

Associate
I've looked at the Crib Goch videos and don't see anything much about it other than it's narrow and there's drops either side. It doesn't actually look that much fun.

The fun part is that it's narrow and there are drops either side :p

Not done Tryfan, but intend to soon. It does look great.

Soldato

Crib Goch is something you have to experience. It doesn't look much on a video on the Internet. In reality it is you, a knife edge and thousands of feet of nothingness. You are lured into thinking everything is easy and the wind sneaks up on you and for a moment you are a mere finger grip from death. Your heart jumps and the wind dies. It is an experience.

Tryfan is different. It is a small hill but she will tease you, taunt you and make you earn every foot of ascent. The last time I climbed her the clouds came down and I couldn't see more than a few feet. Th decent was fraught and I cam close to making a wrong turn numerous times.

The year before she was covered in snow. The year before that it was glorious sunshine. I love Tryfan but be careful if you haven't done much scrambling.

Look up Moel Siabod, it's a favourite of mine (see comments above)

Been a long time since I went up Moel. I might give it a go this year.

Caporegime
what are some easier scrambles?
around snowdon?

If you're looking at scrambling then Tryfan perhaps... Don't see the issue with Crib Goch as long as you're with other people who are experienced.... Did it as a kid when I was in Scouts so its not *that* bad....

Associate
cwm_idwal.JPG

Cwm Idwal & the Devils Kitchen taken a few years ago, start of the Glyders.

Back
Top Bottom