Summer Transfer Window 2013/2014 aka Arsenal , we can afford folks and the mancs really want Fellani

Status
Not open for further replies.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Call me fickle but I really really want us to sign Lewandowski now :( :o

Didn't you want him before? I have wanted him for a few seasons now and I thought we might get him last year (RvP ain't so bad instead though). Only issue now is that we have 3 quality strikers and Welbeck and Welbeck gets lots of game time so where would he fit in. Perhaps if Chicharito left we could fit him in.

Caporegime
The last year under Rafa where he was injured a lot.

PL 22 Apps 18 goals

Good goals to games but, 3 against Hull, Stoke, 2 Villa, Bolton, 2 West Ham, Fulham, Wigan, Blackburn, 2 Sunderland, 2 Man Utd, 2 Portsmouth. Thats 14 against Bottom half teams, Villa and Utd being his only top half team goals.

By no means bad, but a clear flat track bully. He was really poor in the international games between seasons, and in 09/10 for liverpool he was once again a flat track bully, though funnily enough his only big game goals were against Chelsea. Of 9 goals we had 2 vs Chelsea, Wigan, Bolton, Blackpool, Wolves, Blackburn, West Brom. Then his only goal for Chelsea was against West Ham, another season where the majority of his goals came against the worst teams/worst defences.

His first year Torres scored quite a few goals against big teams in Europe but in the league, some but significantly less top teams.

But even in 07/08, looking at the league you've got, Chelsea, 3 Derby, 4 Reading, 2 Spurs, Fulham, Bolton, 2 Portsmouth, Wigan, 4 Boro, 3 West Ham, Newcastle, Everton, Blackburn, City. Still only 6/24 against 9th and above.

His second season was less prolific but did significantly better against top teams, I think its 10 or so of the 14 goals against top half, and a significant portion of those against Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd, Everton. For me that was his best and most important season, and not coincidentally, the only time they've challenged for the league, when Torres scored and helped the team win against the top 5 teams in the league. Because of his scoring and who against in 08/09 Liverpool didn't lose a game against the top 7, won all 4 against 1st/3rd.

In that first year, Liverpool came 4th, and didn't win a single game against the three teams above them, with Torres barely scoring against the top 6. Scoring isn't obviously completely down to Torres, but out of all his years in the EPL< he's had a single season where he's done particularly well against the better teams in the league.

I never rated him as the best, I said that years ago, before he joined Chelsea, and since, he's playing a completely different role at Chelsea. At Liverpool he was the guy on the end of the chances, that was it, his entire role, now he's being asked to be a part of the build up. I rated him as a finisher, but nothing else, I don't rate and never have rated his all around game. If a defence is playing well, he doesn't, and never has had the tricks to beat people, if he's not in a position to score a goal when he receives the ball he'll rarely do anything of note, while a Drogba, RVP, Suarez, can all beat a man, make a pass, or hold it up, do something with it.

In the right team he can score goals again, he might have actually worked very well with Liverpool again, though Sturridge is much the same, I don't really rate his build up game, but if a team creates chances in the box, he's good at getting on the end of them.

ALl strikers SHOULD score more against the bottom half of the table, that is fairly natural, Messi/Ronaldo are no different, but when a striker is struggling to score against the top half at all... its a bigger sign they aren't as good as you think. Torres had a stand out season in that only once in 5 seasons has he done well against the top half.

RVP has scored against Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal, City and Spurs this season, first season with a new club, scored against every team they compete against. Henry, never had a problem scoring against the top teams, Drogba, same, Torres... a single season where he's been prolific against the top half and the main contenders.

Last edited:
Soldato
while shipping of Rooney, or allowing Hernandez to leave (because I cant see Lewandowski agreeing to come to OT without one or the other happening)

I won't lie I'm running out of patience with Rooney now, his all round play was pretty poor last season but we all ignored it because he was still scoring goals, he started this season a lot better but without scoring the goals and now, he's neither playing well nor scoring goals :o
I'm also fairly fed up with the media obsession everytime he's dropped or even substituted.

As for Hernandez he's good at what he is but that's about it i.e. your typical third/forth choice striker you chuck on when you need a goal or you start when you want to give everyone else a rest. You do need players like him in your squad though so if one were to leave to make room for someone else my choice probably would be Rooney.

(Note if nothing happens in the summer either way I'm not saying I'll be disappointed before someone goes to quote this should next season see me singing Rooneys praises again)

Didn't you want him before?

Not really no, prior to this season I'd only really seen glimpses of him (the German cup final and for Poland over the summer) this season though has been a different kettle of fish and last night was just the final straw, he's top class, dare I say even better all round than Falcao.... :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
I won't lie I'm running out of patience with Rooney now, his all round play was pretty poor last season but we all ignored it because he was still scoring goals, he started this season a lot better but without scoring the goals and now, he's neither playing well nor scoring goals :o
I'm also fairly fed up with the media obsession everytime he's dropped or even substituted.

As for Hernandez he's good at what he is but that's about it i.e. your typical third/forth choice striker you chuck on when you need a goal or you start when you want to give everyone else a rest. You do need players like him though so if one were to leave to make room for someone else my choice probably would be Rooney.

(Note if nothing happens in the summer either way I'm not saying I'll be disappointed before someone goes to quote this should next season see me signing Rooneys praises again)

Totally agree where you are coming from (especially media obsession part).

Chicharito does one thing well (when he gets consistant game time) and he causes no grief what so ever, and he always appears to be so grateful to play for Utd, its just nice to see these days.

Caporegime
I would be really sad to see Chicho leave, he's a complete professional and clearly loves playing for the club. Honestly he should be playing more for us given his record, every time I see Welbeck starting instead of him...

Don
I've never seen him do anything nearly as good ever so naturally concluded it had to be a miss-hit shot. Like when Welbeck ever does anything useful. Always accidental.

Miss-hit shot? He was about 40 yards from goal and chipped a delightful ball over Terry for Torres to run onto.

Man of Honour
I think MU would be better off buying someone like Fabregas (who incidentally had a very good understanding with RvP in terms of knowing where the ball would go / striker would run) rather than another striker, someone with a bit of vibrancy and vision in advanced central midfield (kinda like the role Rooney played the other night). Anderson doesn't seem to have developed into that role (he actually ended up much deeper lying than I expected) but I get the impression SAF has Cleverley earmarked for it - I'm not convinced he will reach the standards required though.

Caporegime
Good goals to games but, 3 against Hull, Stoke, 2 Villa, Bolton, 2 West Ham, Fulham, Wigan, Blackburn, 2 Sunderland, 2 Man Utd, 2 Portsmouth. Thats 14 against Bottom half teams, Villa and Utd being his only top half team goals.
He missed pretty much half the games, how many big games did he miss? Also skimmed the rest, comparing strikers in teams that actually won the league to one that mounted a single attempt with Torres might hint to why he perhaps didn't get chances vs the bigger teams :) ?

Torres was the best 07-10.

Soldato
I think MU would be better off buying someone like Fabregas (who incidentally had a very good understanding with RvP in terms of knowing where the ball would go / striker would run) rather than another striker, someone with a bit of vibrancy and vision in advanced central midfield (kinda like the role Rooney played the other night). Anderson doesn't seem to have developed into that role (he actually ended up much deeper lying than I expected) but I get the impression SAF has Cleverley earmarked for it - I'm not convinced he will reach the standards required though.

Whether Cleverley does or doesn't become another AM in that class, he is a decent squad player to have (Im not trying to suggest you meant "sell him", and given a bit more time he could become really good - there have been flashes already this season), and he can be used in few different midfield positions to be worthy of his place

Kagawa is probably a year or two ahead in development - but whether long term he is used in an AM or 2nd striker (or in a Silva like position) is to be seen. Again his versatility should warrant a good few years to give him enough time to get his consistency - again flashes during the season halted by injury, but lately he has really started to show something Utd have been short of.

SAF has said time and time again that he doesn't think the team needs a hard-tackling midfielder, I just hope he is saying that to the press while working hard at getting exactly this type of player into the club as that is sorely needed. I feel for Fletcher (and before him, Hargreaves) as both had their careers shortened if not flat out ruined by severe illness /injury. imo Hargreaves was the (much) better player - just didn't get a chance to really show it and for all the correctly shown sentiment the Club/SAF is now showing - how long can the club/team cope without this ....dynamic.... available on a permanent basis.

Soldato

Nah Fergie's determined to do the complete opposite of Spain's no striker formation, I'm convinced one day we will line up like so

---------------De Gea---------------
---------------Carrick---------------
Valencia--Rooney--Kagawa--Nani
Welbeck-------RVP-------Young
------Hernandez--Henriquez------

It's the way forward; In Fergie we trust :p

Soldato
Bayern Munich have denied reports that the Borussia Dortmund forward Robert Lewandowski has signed a contract with the Bundesliga champions.

Bayern issued the denial on Friday after the Bild daily newspaper reported, without citing sources, that the Poland striker had already signed two contracts with Bayern one starting in 2013 and one in 2014.

The club released a statement saying that Bayern "has no contract with Robert Lewandowski".

There has been media speculation for months over a possible move to Bayern by Lewandowski, who has another season on his Dortmund contract. It has heated up since Lewandowski scored all four goals for Dortmund in his team's 4-1 win over Real Madrid in the first leg of the Champions League semi-finals, with the player's agent, Maik Barthel, suggesting Dortmund have sanctioned his departure. "We have reached an agreement with a club and intend [him] to move this summer," Barthel told Bild on Wednesday.

"There is a very interesting offer for Robert which fulfils entirely the demands set by Dortmund and also the demands of Robert. Dortmund have assured us that Robert can move at the end of the season under these conditions. We stick to agreements and now it's up to the clubs to sort things out."

Bayern have already secured the services of Dortmund midfielder Mario Götze for next season.

It's ON like Frigging Donkey Kong Y'all :cool: :p

Soldato
I think it's already a done deal personally. Is Lewan not a Man U fan?

He has been saying so recently from what Ive read previously - but you never know until he is wearing the shirt in a press release lol

The way BM "struck a deal" with Gotze, Im hoping the same doesnt happen with another one or two of Dortmund's gems (Bender being another, and Hummels of course) - with rumours that City are possibly after Bender as well if not anyone/everyone going lol.

Will BD be anything like the current team come next season, sounds like they could easily lose 3 - 4 players at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom