• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Frame Rating: AMD Improves CrossFire with Prototype Driver

Man of Honour
My Crossfire setup of 2x Sapphire 7950 never seemed to have any issues with Crysis 3 using the 13.2 beta driver(havent played it since 13.3 came out) like the one showed off in the video. Has been a very smooth in the 50-60fps+ area, with no runt frames. Im usually very picky about such things. Something im missing here?

Your using vsync?

Associate
I don't think that it will be a "Crossfire related only" fix...if they change the way (and time) the frames are drawn on the screen, the single card would benefit of it, too. Unless they won't lock the algorithm in single mode, but I would not understand why doing something like that, when they say that it will be just an option, disabled at default. And not only, also the V-sync will work better...with a setup that has good frame times in the first place. It's also possible that the Vsync will be less used and left off, 'cause the animation could be smoother, despite the tearing...it depends by "personal discomfort" ;) IMHO the stuttering or frame latency is noticeable even with single card (not in every game, but often prominent)...own a Crossfire 7850 2GB and I am sure that is a drivers related problem, not about the card power...for sure

Last edited:
Permabanned
It is noticeable in every game on single card.I can spot it and i spotted it in thier videos at 720p.

I was seriously depressed when i got my computer in my sig compared to my old one.I have 20% judder like in the video on all my games and i see it no matter where i go as im very sensitive to it and it ruins gaming for me to be honest.I Dare not try dual cards so whatever fix is needed is it needed for single card as much as it is needed for crossfire/sli.

Vsync just is not an option due to the terrible tearing you get with it off.With vsync on with a constant 16.7ms im going from 60fps levels of motion to 30fps levels of motion due to frames going from 16.7-30ms due to vsync.I could never figure this out but im telling you that PCP are gods for getting this into the spotlight.

And even better i can finally due to thier videos see what 60 frame per second looks like with vsync off and again its not smooth enough.I can spot judder at 60fps so i guess i really do need to make the jump to 120hz soon.

At least at 120hz u can use vsync and not worry that much.Sure u will still have frame time being doubled but your going from 8ms to 16ms instead of 16.7ms to 30ms resulting in at worst 60fps levels of motion versus 30fps frames of motion im getting now with a constant 60fps vsync.

And also why am i now getting frame skipping on 58-59fps? Is this due to them tweaking vsync? I literally go into judder city at 58fps.This never used to happen on my old pc yet its happening now on all my games.I guess not that much of a deal as i try whenever posible to not drop to 59fps but still mega annoying.For now gamings on hold for me.

4k is coming and perhaps vsync might die.Things are actually looking up!

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
AMD single-GPU frame pacing fixed; crossfire fix expected in ~90 days

AMD single-GPU frame pacing fixed; crossfire fix expected in ~90 days

Today the @AMDRadeon twitter account hosted a Q&A session, and of course the frame pacing issue came up:

@AMDRadeon - We're anticipating a beta release in the June/July timeframe. I should note that single-GPU pacing is already fixed. ^RH

Internally, AMD are conflicted on the best way to solve the issue - after all, the driver is doing what the game engine is requesting, with regards to timing of present calls. Placing an additional latency into the game engine to smooth the animation rate could be construed as adversely affecting the original artists vision of play, and may have adverse effects on competitive players.

AMD's response shows they are listening to press and fan feedback on what's expected from them, even if it goes against something previously espoused as untouchable - don't mess with the game experience.

As AMD APU's and GPU's become the defacto game development platform, hopefully we can expect to see AMD's developer relations teams working to get smoother gameplay on AMD hardware out of the box and inside the game engine, instead of patched in after the fact.

Source
http://www.rage3d.com/index.php?cat=75#newsid34000651
https://twitter.com/AMDRadeon/status/329642500451078144

Can't wait to see what xfire users here make of this driver. This will be of much more interest as everyone asked here seems to be in agreement that things feel and look fine as they are at the moment. The bit in the bold is part that i wouldn't want if things are already smooth. However if stutter is a problem in a specific game then this will be a welcome addition. Either way i suppose its nice to have the option to choose which one you want.

Last edited:
Associate
@AMDRadeon - We're anticipating a beta release in the June/July timeframe. I should note that single-GPU pacing is already fixed. ^RH
already fixed, where...? in the new release? ;) in my opinion is not "already" completely fixed...if the approach to the issue there has never been.

Internally, AMD are conflicted on the best way to solve the issue - after all, the driver is doing what the game engine is requesting, with regards to timing of present calls. Placing an additional latency into the game engine to smooth the animation rate could be construed as adversely affecting the original artists vision of play, and may have adverse effects on competitive players.
in a way, they're also blaming the game developers? maybe right in some cases, but I don't see any problem if someone fixes the frame time...if there is stuttering, there is...so they could create an interface on per game basis, a game profile...anyway i see the videos by pcper and there are many new games, not only one or two...always a developer fault? crytek, ubisoft, ea, dice & co. ? anyone?
...don't mess with the game experience.
again, don't understand how to ruin the experience if the frame latency is fixed...better 60fps to 55 drop or 60 to 59 or a steady (if vsync on at 60hz) 60...58,...and so on? or if vsync off, try to limit or completely remove any excessive frame drop?
...hopefully we can expect to see AMD's developer relations teams working to get smoother gameplay on AMD hardware out of the box and inside the game engine, instead of patched in after the fact.
really hopefully...for every game??? i think that's very difficult...this is not a joint work, it's enough to follow guidelines, which it means that the frame time has to be good since the beginning...so the developer can test & debug under the best smooth conditions...
However if stutter is a problem in a specific game then this will be a welcome addition. Either way i suppose its nice to have the option to choose which one you want.
completely agree :D

Last edited:
Soldato
in my opinion at the moment without vsync is even more annoying...
If your card is able to do a steady 60fps with vsync on, I don't understand why you hate it...but is legit :D

I never have tearing issues with vsync off. Maybe due to my 120hz monitor. I hate vsync mostly due to the input lag or other weird issues i sometimes get, besides i dont need it since i never get tears.

Associate
I never have tearing issues with vsync off. Maybe due to my 120hz monitor. I hate vsync mostly due to the input lag or other weird issues i sometimes get, besides i dont need it since i never get tears.
weird, it should help vsync but without... tearing should be visible even below the refresh rate...are you sure or that little perceived tearing does not bother you? what monitor you have?

Caporegime
OP
already fixed, where...? in the new release? ;) in my opinion is not "already" completely fixed...if the approach to the issue there has never been.

in a way, they're also blaming the game developers? maybe right in some cases, but I don't see any problem if someone fixes the frame time...if there is stuttering, there is...so they could create an interface on per game basis, a game profile...anyway i see the videos by pcper and there are many new games, not only one or two...always a developer fault? crytek, ubisoft, ea, dice & co. ? anyone?

again, don't understand how to ruin the experience if the frame latency is fixed...better 60fps to 55 drop or 60 to 59 or a steady (if vsync on at 60hz) 60...58,...and so on? or if vsync off, try to limit or completely remove any excessive frame drop?

really hopefully...for every game??? i think that's very difficult...this is not a joint work, it's enough to follow guidelines, which it means that the frame time has to be good since the beginning...so the developer can test & debug under the best smooth conditions...
completely agree :D

Latency has not really changed for me on single gpu even after this supposed fix. Its always been excellent, its just been improved so it now sits just behind a titan is all. These sort of changes can't really be felt though, how can you improve on already smooth?

I didn't see anything about them blaming developers. I agree with what they say, adding latency to certain games is not what i would want personally playing twitch shooters. This is what they mean when they say it could hamper the experience.

If the game in question is not smooth then i can see it being a nice benefit and definitely an option which the user should have. Either way should not be forced in my opinion and having the option to pick from a increased latency or a faster response time is a good thing.

If you have latency issues with a single gpu then i would look closer to home for the fix to your problem.

Soldato

For single gpu performance the 7970 is smoother than its competitor the gtx680 according to fcat results. With this in mind it is completely fixed. I think amd had this fixed in the 13.1 or 13.3 beta drivers.

Last edited:
Associate
If you have latency issues with a single gpu then i would look closer to home for the fix to your problem.
sometimes i notice a frame drop, even if single, with vsync off. My dlpc latency is good, mid 30µs so this can't be an issue...: i'm using Radeonpro with OSD. That's really limited compared to crossfire, but can't say that is completely absent...and not able to play without vsync at 60hz, maybe i'm more sensible to this "stuttering and tearing" ;) but maybe with these new drivers i'll do without, hope to can test soon...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom