Stulid Tested all of OcUK Thermal Paste Range

Soldato
Just read the thread again to see if there was anything new, nice job stu by the way.The only thing l would say is buy a cheap thermometer so you can roughly quote ambient room temps at the start of your tests and note anychanges during the test period. I did a thread comparing Asaka Apaches to Vipers, depending on the time of the year room temps can change between 1 to 2 degrees in about half an hour. As we have a cheap thermometer lol £1 at a certain shop so l was able to give room temps and anychanges while testing

Being able to quote ambient room temps at the start during the test and at the end, would make your good work far more accurate for the members of this forum.

Keep up the good work stu, can you test Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra Thermal Paste would be nice to compare it with Liquid Pro.

Cheers,
Oldphart.:)

Soldato
Originally Posted by OLDPHART View Post
Just read the thread again to see if there was anything new, nice job stu by the way.The only thing l would say is buy a cheap thermometer so you can roughly quote ambient room temps at the start of your tests and note anychanges during the test period.
+1

Even better is to monitor cooler intake temp. That's the real temp that is important. And it can change without room ambient changing.

Either way you have to have accurate reference to get accurate results.

Associate
Hi I have bought some IC Diamond Perihelion Ceramic Thermal Compound and just wanted to know where I apply it. I have got a sabertooth mobo with i5 3570 also will the intel fan that came with the cpu be enough or will i need a bigger heatsink? thanks

Associate
Question for the OP about the spread-ability of the IC Diamond 7c & 23c.

Was this tested while the compound was at room temp?
IC Diamond recommend you warm it up prior to application.

Caporegime
OP
Question for the OP about the spread-ability of the IC Diamond 7c & 23c.

Was this tested while the compound was at room temp?
IC Diamond recommend you warm it up prior to application.

It was tested at room temperature, I never warmed the IC diamond paste as I don't remember seeing that being recommended.

I looked here - http://www.innovationcooling.com/applicationinstructions.htm - and saw nothing about heating the paste up prior to use.

Last edited:
Associate
It's the type of information contained in this thread that made my mind up to join the OC's Forum. I have been searching for such tests, And the results of such tests, for days & found only 1 other set of tests & results. Those tests & the result put the Gelid GC-Extreme at the top of the list with the Arctic Cooling MX4 & MX2 in 2nd & 3rd place. I am now satisfied that purchasing the Gelid GC-Extreme is the correct choice to make. Hopefully / Obviously the Gelid GC-Extreme is available in the OC's Online Store ? Also, Obviously i will need to clean the surface of the CPU before installing a new heat radiating unit, which i have yet to decide upon, Therefor can anyone recommend a cleaning fluid & application material with which to clean the surface of the CPU prior to applying the fresh Thermal Paste ?

Associate
doyll, Thank You for replying to my query regardine what type of fluid to use for removing old Thermal Paste from the CPU. I have some Isopropyl Alcohol mini wipes that i have to use prior to applying pain reduction patches to my skin therefor i suppose they will do the job just as well as liquid on a cotton bud. Once again, Thank You :~)

Soldato
If the paste on your CPU isn't too thick jusr wipe it of with paper towel first. I use cotton buds if it's over the edge of CPU. Than wipe clean with the alcohol wipes and you will be good.

Associate
Nice one stulid, well thought and planned to all those who say its not a valid test you get 20 computers or so all built up and in a temp controlled room then ask O.C. for the same pastes.

Its easy to critique when your not the one doing it (he did very well for what he had) nice one again stulid and hope you keep it up its nice to see a every day user doing these reviews rather than somone with loads of experience doing them ( i know your not a noob at it ) lol

Soldato
All testing needs to be done on same system mate, not on 20 different systems.. each system will perform differently. All good reviewers use only one system for their test comparisons... and they also keep track of room ambient temperature.

This isn't rocket science it's simple common sense. You need the room ambient temperature recorded at beginning, during and end of each test. That's how you know how well something performs. You need a base temperature before you can have a peak temperature.. Without a it you have no accurate record of what the difference is. Room temperatures change 2c very easily.

Stulid put a lot of work and time into this. And I respect him and thank him for the effort. Just too bad he didn't record ambient temperature. :(

Associate
O.C. send doyll the pastes i want to see his tests lol (joking i know what you mean) i wouldnt be brave enough to do testing as i know id get something wrong (not saying you did stu) like most things in life live and learn :)

Soldato
Testing that many pastes is a lot of work! Just cleaning and mounting 20 different pastes is 20 times and doing each one 3 times at a minimum to make sure they are seating right and averaging out the 3... it's a huge job. Could I do it? Yes. Would I do it? Yes. But it would take me at least a month to setup for it and at least another month to do the testing. Than probably another couple of weeks to write it all up with pictures, graphs, etc.... and that's assuming all went according to plan. All the tests with no hitches or abnormalities that needed sorting. stelid took on a daunting task. Thank you stulid for all your work. Just would have been nice to have an ambient temp range of less than +-2c.. :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
If it helps I got a thermometer later on when I did the h100i, all it showed is that my house is very stable tempertaure wise with little variation, it is an energy efficent new build type consturction.

Permabanned
I need some thermal paste so was great to see this thread, I normally use Arctic silver 5 but now going to get some Arctic Cooling MX-2.

Amazing tests there Stulid, very well done.

Associate
Thats sure a lot of work to do to tell people the best paste, thanks :) Gonna grab some Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme. I did pop in here to find out when you should re-apply your paste but no joy. Whens best to do so? Also may be worth putting said info on the first post ;)

Back
Top Bottom