Letting agents say they havnt received rent.

Associate
Long story short I have been renting my flat for the past 6 months and have paid the rent on the 2nd of each month and for all of those previous months.

I received a phone call from the agents today saying they havnt received payment this month and that I need to make payment immediately. So I fire up Internet banking and check and sure enough the standing order has come out my bank account the same as it usually does every other month. So I go in the bank and ask them to check it has definitely left my account and reached theirs and I get a print out the fact too.
I take the statement to the agents to show them and the lady I deal with doesnt even look at it, she just says if it's not in their bank account by to tomorrow afternoon she will call as apparently it's my banks fault that they havnt received payment.

So my bank is saying I've paid , the agents are saying I havnt. ( how can I find out where my money is?)

Can the agents demand payment again even though I have paid it once already ???

Soldato
talk to the lettings manager instead of the dimwit your dealing with.

Sadly some letting agents are even more useless as a chocolate teapot. I had no end of problems with Petty's.

Man of Honour
I had this problem once in my old place, I told them it had been paid and to check again, this went back and forth a few times but in the end they basically said oh yeah it's been there all along we just missed it.
******* **** wits

Caporegime
I take the statement to the agents to show them and the lady I deal with doesnt even look at it, she just says if it's not in their bank account by to tomorrow afternoon she will call as apparently it's my banks fault that they havnt received payment.
I would complain you are providing proof of payment and she won't even look at it and see it's not your problem wtf

Soldato
Ask the agents to prove you haven't paid and ask to see there bank statements showing you haven't paid,shove it back in there face if there sayin you haven't paid.

Caporegime
Long story short I have been renting my flat for the past 6 months and have paid the rent on the 2nd of each month and for all of those previous months.

I received a phone call from the agents today saying they havnt received payment this month and that I need to make payment immediately. So I fire up Internet banking and check and sure enough the standing order has come out my bank account the same as it usually does every other month. So I go in the bank and ask them to check it has definitely left my account and reached theirs and I get a print out the fact too.

So my bank is saying I've paid , the agents are saying I havnt. ( how can I find out where my money is?)

Can the agents demand payment again even though I have paid it once already ???

If it has come out of your account to the same destination as last time, and the bank confirms it, and have provided you with evidence to how the letting agency, then I think it's pretty clear-cut.

Soldato
All the advice in this thread is great, but misses one essential fact....lettings agents only exist to make estate agents look competent.

IMO speak to the lettings manager/office manager, you might then get someone who attempts to know their **** hole from their elbow

Back
Top Bottom