Budget Rig

Associate
Hi Guys,

I've built a few PCs of my own before but a friend has asked me to build a budget rig for him and I wanted to double check with people that know more before I got buying it, not too comfortable experimenting with other peoples money!

Below is the list of components:
CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.30GHz S1155 3MB
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 S1155 Intel Z68 DDR3 ATX
GPU: Asus AMD Radeon 7770 HD 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2x2GB) 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM 240-Pin
PSU: OCZ Technology 500W CoreXStream Series Power Supply
Wireless: TP LINK 150Mbit-WLAN-Lite-N-PCIe x1-Adapter
Case: Antec One Gaming Case Mid Tower ATX
HDD: Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM Hard Drive
DVD Drive: Sony 24x DVD-RW SATA Black Bare Internal Drive

I would think about upgrading the CPU to an i5 but it depends how much he wants to spend, currently getting this for about £500. He will only want to play a few games and wants the build to mainly handle Rome 2: Total War when it comes out.

Do anybody have any tips or advice? And any compatibility issues that you can see?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit: Fixed to be website agnostic, apologies

Last edited:
Associate
I'm guessing those were links to other retailers which is bad form, follow the link in my sig to post a basket from here and the good forum folks will give you all the advice you will need

Associate
The I3 will only hit the minimum spec for rome 2 so it may be worth stretching to an I5

You may have a point, it may like more cores. Don't think there are any sys requirements yet?

The game isn't out until September so I would wait before buying a new rig for it as you will get more performance/£ once the game is released.

Associate
OP
Okay, I see the point about bumping up to an i5, will have to see how much he can afford extra.

I noticed you guys proposed mATX boards, I have never used one before, what else is different besides obviously the size and few slots? Any performance effects?

Back
Top Bottom