• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New details have come to light regarding the flagship HD 9970 part from AMD.

Permabanned
New details have come to light regarding the flagship HD 9970 part from AMD.

Some new information has been leaked regarding AMD's HD 9970 GPU, the flagship part of the Volcanic Island series. According to Softpedia, the lineup of 9000-series GPUs will still launch this year.

The information revealed is that the Volcanic Islands GPUs will be baked on a 20 nm lithography and be designed to have Gate-Last transistors.

Specifications for the HD 9970 include 4096 stream processors, four geometry engines, 256 TMUs, 16 serial processing units, and 64 ROPs. Memory will be driven through a 512-bit memory bus, and GDDR5 memory.

While there has been no official word, it appears that the HD 8000 series GPUs will be skipped entirely for desktops.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-Radeon-Volcanic-Islands-7790,22518.html#xtor=RSS-999

AMD Radeon™ HD 8000 Series Graphics (OEM)

ulpG3Jv.png

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/8000/pages/8000-series.aspx#2

Man of Honour
Right you are.

Interesting that in that AMD link the HD 8000 series is listed under the Desktop graphics section.

8000 series currently exists as an OEM rebadge of the 7000 series. As well as there will likely be mobile GPUs under the 8000 series.

bru

bru

Soldato
Toms article links to softpedia which links back to the same chiphell leak.

Not saying it isn't accurate but so far its seems to be all from the one source.

Associate
It is a shame that we will have to wait even longer for a new graphics architecture from AMD, although they are probably keeping it inline with nVidia and Maxwell.

Associate
So HD 8xxx will be HD 7xxx series rebadged and for mobile only?

Desktop will go straight to HD 9xxx?

That's a bit strange no?

Perhaps there was a 8xxx series but it was a refresh which has now been scrapped. Volcanic Islands were probably always going to be 9xxx and that is going to stay the same.

If anything it sounds worth it to me.

Associate
Might finally be something worth upgrading my 5850, small percent increases do not interest me.

.....1080p and limited budget here

Soldato
If this info is true or close to true I better call my other half and say I cant move in with her because daddy needs some new toys. One way ticket to hell im sure :p cya downstairs.

Soldato
I wonder if there will be a 9990: x2 4096 SP (8192 SP) :o

scottymemegeneratorourw.gif

Soldato
are we expecting the 9970 to cost in the region of £400? i am getting excited for RTW2 and need to work out how much i need to save etc. Gaming at 1440p is a real pain, seriously wondering why i changed from 1080p ;)

Soldato
are we expecting the 9970 to cost in the region of £400? i am getting excited for RTW2 and need to work out how much i need to save etc. Gaming at 1440p is a real pain, seriously wondering why i changed from 1080p ;)

We can dream, can't we? :D
You'll be looking at the £550+ mark easily, high end cards have been this high (currently higher) before, i see no reason why they wont price them this high again.

Depends on what kind of performance is out when this card get released and what price said performance is marked at, graphics cards tend to get priced relative to their competition.

Soldato
A tear literally came to my eye, not emotional, more like a kick in the balls.

Think a 2nd 7970 will have to be sourced then. Have always fancied xfire for a change so guessing now might be the time.

Caporegime
We can dream, can't we? :D
You'll be looking at the £550+ mark easily, high end cards have been this high (currently higher) before, i see no reason why they wont price them this high again.

Depends on what kind of performance is out when this card get released and what price said performance is marked at, graphics cards tend to get priced relative to their competition.

Yeah, your probably looking at £500+ But hell if its twice the 7970 on one chip its worth it.

Roughly speaking the 8950 will probably have about 3500 SP's and a 512Bit bus for £400+ The 8870 about 3000 SP's and 384Bit bus for £300+, the 8870 at that would be at least as fast as the GTX Titan. many people paid a thousand pound for that....

Soldato
I'm guessing this will be about 60% faster than a 7970 at release and probably increasing to about 80% several months later, as drivers mature and games make better use of the new hardware. Not that I'm complaining though, 60% increase in performance is pretty rare these days.

I just want to keep things realistic as people are probably salivating at the near doubling of GPU hardware, which doesn't always scale linearly performance wise. After all, the 5870 was more or less double the specs of the 4870, yet we saw nowhere near double the performance. It was still an excellent card though, and we saw the performance gap increase over time, plus GCN (or whatever the 9970 will use) is far more efficient than VLIW5.

Please AMD, get this right, will love to go back to the red side again. Should make for an epic rig when Haswell hits.

Caporegime
I'm guessing this will be about 60% faster than a 7970 at release and probably increasing to about 80% several months later, as drivers mature and games make better use of the new hardware. Not that I'm complaining though, 60% increase in performance is pretty rare these days.

I just want to keep things realistic as people are probably salivating at the near doubling of GPU hardware, which doesn't always scale linearly performance wise. After all, the 5870 was more or less double the specs of the 4870, yet we saw nowhere near double the performance. It was still an excellent card though, and we saw the performance gap increase over time, plus GCN (or whatever the 9970 will use) is far more efficient than VLIW5.

Please AMD, get this right, will love to go back to the red side again. Should make for an epic rig when Haswell hits.

No idea how relevant this is, but i'm looking at my Heaven Vally thread.

2x 7970 @ 1250 / 1700 / (2x 2048 SP's) = 4117

1x 7970 @ 1230 / 1794 / (1x 2048 SP's) = 2197

That's 95%+ GPU scalling

This spec also has +100% ROP's (64) / +34% Memory bandwidth (512Bit)

Added on are 16 Parallel Processing Units (no idea what that will do to performance)

And (add Shader Core optimisation?)

Its hard to say, but I am really looking forward to the end of this year....

Back
Top Bottom