Torn between AMD or Intel

Associate
If thats the case with your money then id just go with the 8320. Id personally disagree with getting a "better case", the 200R is plenty, its not like youre going for aesthetics. Make sure you have atleast one intake and one outake for the case though.
RAM speed wont provide much benefit i believe, just those benchmarkers out there.
Buy 2 sticks of 8GB and if you need more then buy another 2 sticks.

Associate
Whats with the 16GB of RAM? Seems like overkill unless it helps in your design programs?

I too would wait for Haswell, if nothing else the Ivy prices may drop slightly.

Associate
OP
I use Cinema 4D as well as Adobe CS5, mainly photoshop and after effects. Sticking with the 16GB because I will also be running game servers off the machine and want to give them a decent chunk of memory while they're running while also being able to play the game at the same time. Also not sure about AMD, the Bulldozer and Piledriver CPUs have had pretty poor reviews from what I've seen for any kind of image or video editing/3D rendering so I think I'll stick with Intel but will definitely wait to see what Haswell brings to the table.

Associate
Yea, if you don't have the money now then you'll most likely get enough when haswell is already out. According to rumours though, Haswell won't be a worthy upgrade from S and I bridge apart from the onboard gpu but you'll be running dedicated anyway.

Associate
If you're going AMD, Just get an 8320. It's identical to an 8350 and cheaper. Overclocks the same too.

LNe1u55l.png.jpg

If all you're doing is gaming then sure the 3570k is the better option now. But for rendering, this CPU cannot be beat. x264 FLIES.

Last edited:
Associate
But if the OP is really that concerned about rendering then a i7 would be the only choice.
Also marv, that is ridiculous, there's no need to be switching out everything each year, a 2500K is still good to go and has really no real upgrade apart from an i7.

V F

V F

Soldato
ive just switch from intel to amd cause im sick of intel changing the socket all the time.

tbh ive noticed no difference other than cost.

You're lucky. I've never had any AMD system that never required a new motherboard. Everytime I've bought a new CPU needed a new motherboard.

Sorry what... How can socket changes cause you any grievance if a good CPU lasts 3-5 years anyway...

I think thats how I got there. Athlon XP 3200+ that lasted 4 years to an AMD X2 4600+ s939 that lasted 4 years to an AM3 X6 1090t thats still running from 2010.

Soldato
I love AMD
I just tried to plop an 8350 setup into my main PC box to replace the I7.
I knew Id drop speed but didnt realise just how poorly the AMD runs against the Intel.
Im now back on Intel.
My Folding Server is now the AMD 8350, thats all its good for.

Soldato
what i ment by it was that intel have changed it a lot more than amd and in some instances i feel that they do it just for revenue.

Well yeah but I dont see how if you aren't changing every refresh how it actually affects you. Nvidia and AMD refresh each year and a lot of the time theres not much point to it but I'd bet you have one of their GPU's xD

Associate
I'd would go for Intel. Although Haswell is right around the corner, from what you sound like you want to do with Ivy (& Sandy tbh) Bridge are more than enough to handle it all so getting a good deal is all that matters (although, if you can hold out for Haswell, you can see the differences of the new architecture in both price & performance and make a more informed choice)
But again, Intel over AMD at the moment

Back
Top Bottom