£86 for new visor & pinlock insert....Ouch

Soldato
I can't believe I just payed £86 for just a new tinted visor & pinlock insert for my lid...:(

I need to also buy a new clear visor with pinlock insert as well which is also around £85..:mad:..:mad:..:mad:

Visor prices are crazy these days...

Last edited:
Soldato
I've bought 3 visors in 2 years for my Sharke RSV, at £50 each, because the crappy anti-scratch coating just keeps flaking off. Now that the third one is pretty well gone, I've given up and retired it to "spare helmet" duties.

Soldato
They are expensive for good reason, because they are designed to do their job in a crash.

The visor is unlikely to play much of a roll in most crashes, apart from maybe stop a bit of gravel etc getting into your face. Obviously they need to be impact resistant to prevent gravel thrown up by car tyres etc shattering them, but if you are unlikely enough to hit something long and sharp on your visor in an accident you will probably die.

They are expensive because

1) They need to be optically clear, therefore manufactured with an almost flawless surface
2) They need anti-scratch coatings applied or they pick up scratches very quickly.
3) The manufacturers are robbing dogs.

Associate
hehe. I thought this a while back when I paid around 50 for a tinted Arai (Chaser? I forget) visor with pinlock. I was sure it was much cheaper a few years back, but I'm probably imagining it (a few meaning 2-3, so probably imagined!)

Associate
The visor is unlikely to play much of a roll in most crashes, apart from maybe stop a bit of gravel etc getting into your face. Obviously they need to be impact resistant to prevent gravel thrown up by car tyres etc shattering them, but if you are unlikely enough to hit something long and sharp on your visor in an accident you will probably die.

They are expensive because

1) They need to be optically clear, therefore manufactured with an almost flawless surface
2) They need anti-scratch coatings applied or they pick up scratches very quickly.
3) The manufacturers are robbing dogs.

Really? Because ive seen helmets where people have landed face first in a crash and the visor has taken pretty much the whole impact.
I guess thats why if you take your visor off your helmet you can almost fold the thing in half/make it flat.

Soldato
Really? Because ive seen helmets where people have landed face first in a crash and the visor has taken pretty much the whole impact.
I guess thats why if you take your visor off your helmet you can almost fold the thing in half/make it flat.

I have seen the results of accidents where a visor has shattered, but in that case it's probably more likely to provide further injury rather than reduce it. There was one doing the rounds a few years back where a biker had hit a bird and it had gone straight through.

Realistically there is no way you can rely on a standard visor to prevent an object (rock, steel post etc.) entering through the visor aperture in an accident, except under very light impacts.

Back
Top Bottom