Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Of course VM are powerless to do anything about it other than block them as told by the courts ,Like mentioned every time they block access to one,there's a easy work around...really don't know why they bother.

Soldato
Just bought a TP Link 3600 wireless router as the Superhub (SH) provided by Virgin for the 100Mb package is shocking. Do I need to make the SH switch to modem mode, connect it to the router with a network cable and enjoy more than one bar of connection in my bedroom? Going to try 2.4Ghz for the rest of the house and 5Ghz for me as I am currently the only n device in the house. I would like to beef up the security - what are my options? Only users are my landlord's PC and her iP5, my PC/tablet/phone/work laptop and iP4S/iP5 when the daughter/sons visit.

Is it worth me trying one of these third party firmwares I keep seeing mentioned? Cheers :)

There are several things you can do. you could use the superhub as the modem/router and then use the TP Link has a wireless access point. Just disable the wireless on the superhub and disable the dhcp server on the TP Link.
Alternativly, you could use the TP link as the router and wireless. Just set the superhub to modem only mode and make sure the TP link is pluged into the correct port

jcr

jcr

Associate
There are several things you can do. you could use the superhub as the modem/router and then use the TP Link has a wireless access point. Just disable the wireless on the superhub and disable the dhcp server on the TP Link.
Alternativly, you could use the TP link as the router and wireless. Just set the superhub to modem only mode and make sure the TP link is pluged into the correct port

how do you alter the superhub? my internets been lousy since switching to the hub so id like to try different settings

NZB

NZB

Associate
Is the new Superhub out yet? ie. can I ring up and order one?

Nope, still just trials. Although they're starting what they're calling a Pilot and giving it out to a "specific number of new customers in limited areas".

In the thread for it on the virgin forum they mention that pricing will be announced when they do the official launch which probably means you'll have to buy it unless a new customer or replacing a faulty hub.

Soldato
Never used virgin media before but saying I can not get fttc in my area, and it's not even scheduled I was thinking of signing up.

A few questions though

I take it speed is a lot more dependent on the numbers using in your area than adsl is?. If so, and you are getting slow speeds what is the usual timescale for them upgrading your area?

Second what is the router like? I'm not expecting a all singing all dancing one but will it cope with 15+ devices connected to it without falling over.

Associate
Is the new Superhub out yet? ie. can I ring up and order one?
You may get lucky if your 12 month contract is coming to an end ? Especially if your in one of the Pilot trial areas.
The SH2 is far superior to the SH1 FYI, To a point were i no longer have to use a third party router.;)
To date, I,m having no xbox issues wireless especially on the 5G channel, PC wired very good, Android Tablets very good, Smart TV Very Good,All Mobiles no problems x5, x2 Laptops wireless very good. Netflix runs great and No issues with Youtube ! Gaming could not be better !

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah I'm aware that I'll probably have to pay for it but frankly after all the trouble I've had with this Superhub I'd be delighted to do so, I wish they would certify the latest Motorola modems tbh.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I take it speed is a lot more dependent on the numbers using in your area than adsl is?. If so, and you are getting slow speeds what is the usual timescale for them upgrading your area?

Second what is the router like? I'm not expecting a all singing all dancing one but will it cope with 15+ devices connected to it without falling over.

Many months.

Router is alright. Some folks aren't a fan of the WiFi performance. The new superhub might fix this issue.

Soldato
are you guys doing a wireless speed test? i just done one and we should be getting 100mb we have the XL package, and speedtest.net and many other sites are saying were averaging 20mb.

Man of Honour
are you guys doing a wireless speed test? i just done one and we should be getting 100mb we have the XL package, and speedtest.net and many other sites are saying were averaging 20mb.

A wifi speed test won't show your fall speed (well depends on hardware and connection strength) try from a desktop over Ethernet.
Theoretical speeds for g is 54Mbps but it is more like 30 in actual use.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems like I got my speed bump up to 120mb today, only noticed when my Steam downloads starting exceeding 12mb/s, it hit and held a steady 15mb/s. :)

2728992002.png

Back
Top Bottom