BBQ Charcoal

Associate
Does anyone have any recommendations for quality BBQ charcoal?

The last bag I got was pre-soaked in so much lighter fluid the burgers had a strange flavour.

Man of Honour
Just buy a normal big bag of charcoal and some firelighters. Build your BBQ correctly with plenty of time for it to burn right and you'll be fine.

[edit]If you struggle to get your charcoal burning properly get a charcoal chimney :)

Man of Honour
One sheet of newspaper will more than get a chimney going, no fuel needed.
It depends what you are BBQing, if you're just doing a few burgers, pretty much anything will do.
If you cooking for hours then I like Australian heat beads and hate the webber heat beads, far to much sulphurous ash.

Soldato
It depends what you are BBQing, if you're just doing a few burgers, pretty much anything will do.
If you cooking for hours then I like Australian heat beads and hate the Webber heat beads, far to much sulphurous ash.
Yeah, for slow cooking, briquettes (head beads for me too) are the better bet as they burn more consistently and for longer. Lumpwood burns hotter but for not as long or consistently as briquettes. The problem with briquettes is that many of them have ingredients/chemicals added to them, so they can give the food a nasty taste if you start cooking with them too soon.

Tea Drinker
Don
I use British Coppice lumpwood charcoal, it's sustainable natural and easy to use, despise the imported compacted who knows whats in them briquettes.

At the moment I'm buying 10/20 bags at a time for £4.50 for 6kg bags from a local coppice place near me.

Anyone who moans about having to top up a BBQ needs a pinnie and a gas bbq, it's what it's all about

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I wonder if I have any such local suppliers, that would be good, knowing its for a local and sustainable source.
Anyone know nay around Bristol, I need some tomorrow.

Tea Drinker
Don
Buy mine direct from the guy with the kiln, that lot in the boot was only just out the kiln that morning paid £4.50 a 5kg bag but two years ago bought 50 bags with my dad for £4 a bag.

Trouble is I BBQ all year and you can't get it anywhere after September

They are 1/2 bags 2.5kg, I get 3 BBQ's out of a bag of 5kg

Back
Top Bottom