• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX 780, 770 coming in May

Associate
Good luck to all buying the 780 today,Im looking forward to seeing the benchies in the coming todays.
Would love to upgrade to one from my 2gb 670 as I game @2560x1600.
780 3gb would have been perfect for me but alas I will never ever pay over 500 quid for a single gpu.
Might try pick up a second 670 and save for Maxwell House.
Let the raping and severe price gouging begin.

Soldato
Hopefully get some official reviews on the 780 today. The upcoming custom 780's look very nice, interested to see what Gigabyte and MSI come up with. GTX 780 Lighting would be awesome..

Soldato
No it doesn't. The 770 replaces the 670 as the second top end part. The key is in the number. When you have different series being sold at different times performance hierarchy gets muddled but from a pure line up point of view '70 replace '70.

You're thinking in performance terms. I'm talking hierarchically on a "this is our line up" perspective.

So was I, Nvidia's "this is our line up" slides show the 770 replacing the 680 in the lineup and the 780 being a new tier in between the 680/770 and Titan :confused:

Soldato
So was I, Nvidia's "this is our line up" slides show the 770 replacing the 680 in the lineup and the 780 being a new tier in between the 680/770 and Titan :confused:

I don't think you understand - a hierarchy implies at least some degree of rigidity. You can't keep creating a new hierarch every new year or so :). What the chart from them shows is the 770 replacing the 680 in performance terms which is fine. But the 770 still replaces the 670 hierarchically.

Titan was the exception and was an anomaly outside the normal line up. The Titan never formed part of their normal line up, hence its name. They kind of shoehorned themselves in by releasing the Titan prior to 700 series and ideally as a customer you'd have wanted the Titan as the 780 and so on. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I don't think you understand - a hierarchy implies at least some degree of rigidity. You can't keep creating a new hierarch every new year or so :). What the chart from them shows is the 770 replacing the 680 in performance terms which is fine. But the 770 still replaces the 670 hierarchically.

Titan was the exception and was an anomaly outside the normal line up. The Titan never formed part of their normal line up, hence its name. They kind of shoehorned themselves in by releasing the Titan prior to 700 series and ideally as a customer you'd have wanted the Titan as the 780 and so on. :)

I don't think NVidia consider the Titan as part of the 7 series, every time I go to their site for drivers the Titan is listed in there with the 6 series.

Soldato
I don't think NVidia consider the Titan as part of the 7 series, every time I go to their site for drivers the Titan is listed in there with the 6 series.

Yeah they don't. It sits outside of the normal series of cards. What I meant was that ideally as a customer you'd have wanted the Titan released at the current rumoured 780 price point as the 780 itself and then the other cards filtering down from that.

Without knowing their R&D costs it's difficult to know whether this was ever a possibility though.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah they don't. It sits outside of the normal series of cards. What I meant was that ideally as a customer you'd have wanted the Titan released at the current rumoured 780 price point as the 780 itself and then the other cards filtering down from that.

Without knowing their R&D costs it's difficult to know whether this was ever a possibility though.

Maybe their R&D costs spent on the Titan helped to reduce the cost of the GTX 780 as the two cards are very similar in design.

Soldato
Maybe their R&D costs spent on the Titan helped to reduce the cost of the GTX 780 as the two cards are very similar in design.

Hardly. To be blunt, nVidia has majorly cheaped out this generation on the quality of the hardware they're selling for the price they're asking.

The GTX580 should have had similar production costs to the GTX Titan, despite its obscene price in relation. Yes the Titan has more RAM, but RAM isn't particularly expensive, the GTX 580 has beefier power regulation relative to the rest of the card, and the main expense is the GPU core itself, which at the same size and similar yields means that overall they'll have cost very similar amounts.

Simiarly, the GTX 670 and 680 will have similar production costs to the GTX 560Ti.

Associate
Assuming the 780 is gonna be around £550 would I be better off getting a 2nd 680 cheap (maybe even of a auction site) and going the sli route. Never tried sli before. I game on a HDTV so only 1080p.

Soldato

Perhaps. Without the information available it's difficult to say.

It remains the be seen whether the rumoured price points are accepted by the market. To be honest I think they will and these will sell by the shed load.

They're not too far off what prices were back in the day to be fair (factoring in inflation and today's mid market exhange rates) so I don't have any problem with it. My only question remains would it not have been possible to sell what is known as the Titan as the 780 at the 780 price point? Only they know :D.

Of course the elephant in the room remains AMD and what their next top end part will do. This is the first release for a while that I can remember where they've had a fair bit of momentum from the previous generation. NV have never really competed on pure price/performance too much with them but a massive undercut along with a healthy bump in performance could seriously damage the sales for nVidia. Speculation and all that :D.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom