• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 780 Owners Club

Associate
Ah Mah Ghad, not another 780 post FFS ;)

Post here with your 1st impressions if you like :)

Mine arrived this afternoon...

Aesthetics of the card with stock cooler are lush. I love the glow of the Geforce logo on the side of the card, really nice touch.

My Rig:
Cooler Master HAF X
i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz HT Enabled (H100i) - Mid 50's°C gaming
6 GB RAM
Cruicial M4 256GB SSD

I pretty much immediately started up Precision X 4.0 (OcUK is a bad influence :p) and worked my way up to a safeish overclock of:
Power Target 106%
Temp Target 94°
+150 GPU
+100 Mem
Giving me...
1136 MHZ GPU Clock
3105 MHZ Memory

So far completely stable.

With two monitors (1440p & 1080p) its idling ~38°C. With the custom fan profile I use, in BF3 it was sitting steady at a 58°C (idk ambient atm) at the above clocks. I'm impressed with the stock cooler, really nice bit of engineering. The fan was audible but not intrusive, sitting around 55% at the above temp under gaming load.

Only played BF3 so far, Low settings with Ultra Mesh and a bit of AA for competitive play. With vsync at 1080p on my Asus 144Hz screen it was sitting steady between 100-144 FPS. Gameplay it amazingly smooth, noticeably more so than my 680 was. In terms of frame rate it hasn't been a major upgrade tbh, but its a much smoother over all experience so far. I'll update this later after I've tried a few other games out.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't believe you have a 780 and are wasting it on low :). I am surprised that I isn't higher frames on low. I would have thought that you might get them frames on high or ultra.

Associate
OP
Its suits competitive play which is all about smoothness and clarity, but I will test on ultra at some point. I get what you're saying though, but I think that could be down to the CPU and modest OC I have. I'm interested in hearing from 780 owners on newer gen CPU's with higher OC's, I'm hopeful their minimum's will be higher. CPU is the next upgrade I'll be wasting money on in the next month or so and I'll be updating this post when its done.

Last edited:
Associate
Am i right thinking that once it hits 70c, then it will downclock itself? Im sure this happened to my other card.
Just wanting to clarify before i experiment.

Soldato
I doubt your cpu is causing much of a bottleneck if any. A guy on here is running the same cpu with dual titans. His does bottleneck those cards a bit but that's 2. Bf3 likes hyper-threading so make sure you have that enabled.

Soldato
The reason I mention it is that I average around 100 fps with 2 560 tis in sli at 1080p on high. I'm running a 2600k at 4 gig so that might help as well. I will also mention that on bf3 you can create a user.cfg file in your Bf directory to limit your fps to 144 then you won't get the dropouts from vsync.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Am i right thinking that once it hits 70c, then it will downclock itself? Im sure this happened to my other card.
Just wanting to clarify before i experiment.

It depends what the power target / temperature target is set to (some voltage too I think) and how your fan profile is configured.
Mine is set to stock volts, 94°C temp target and a fan curve linear to the temp. 30°C = 30%, 50°C = 50%, 80°C = 80% etc. With those settings in game a min ago it was a steady 58°C @ 58%. Quite high fan speed really, I could knock it down some easily. Anyway, I had Precision X running on my second screen and there was no throttling. I wouldn't expect to see any until it reached the temp target, which it's nowhere near atm.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I doubt your cpu is causing much of a bottleneck if any. A guy on here is running the same cpu with dual titans. His does bottleneck those cards a bit but that's 2. Bf3 likes hyper-threading so make sure you have that enabled.

Its on but good point, I'll update OP with that.

Associate
OP
The reason I mention it is that I average around 100 fps with 2 560 tis in sli at 1080p on high. I'm running a 2600k at 4 gig so that might help as well. I will also mention that on bf3 you can create a user.cfg file in your Bf directory to limit your fps to 144 then you won't get the dropouts from vsync.

That's interesting, TY. I'll take a look at the user.cfg file.

Associate
OP
I will also mention that on bf3 you can create a user.cfg file in your Bf directory to limit your fps to 144 then you won't get the dropouts from vsync.

Still reading up on the variables and tweaking, but so far with the following I've seen min FPS jump to 115.

GameTime.MaxVariableFps 200.000000
Render.DrawFps 1
Render.DrawScreenInfo 0
Render.PerfOverlayEnable 1
Render.PerfOverlayVisible 0
RenderDevice.Dx11Enable 1
RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0
RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1
Screenshot.Format png
UI.DrawEnable 1
WorldRender.DxDeferredCsPathEnable 1
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapResolution 256
WorldRender.FxaaEnable 0

Associate
Loving this card!

Getting 1200 on the core with +38mv and +450 on the memory.

I was after smooth and it delivers it at 1080p for me.

The look and feel is high quality and the lack of noise and excessive heat is great. Nice to see this level of engineering in a PC component, but they sure know how to charge for it.....

Anyone tried 3d vision with it yet?

Associate
Sorry to hijack the thread but maybe you can wrap this up for me possibly. Im totally interested in possibly purchasing a 780 in the coming weeks but was bamboozled by the different variants in clock speeds on some. (Mainly the EVGA ones) Is this just the fact that some come with different BIOS's set to a higher clock speed and that most will be able to clock to that degree anyhow?

Any info on that matter would be appreciated! :p

Associate
Sorry to hijack the thread but maybe you can wrap this up for me possibly. Im totally interested in possibly purchasing a 780 in the coming weeks but was bamboozled by the different variants in clock speeds on some. (Mainly the EVGA ones) Is this just the fact that some come with different BIOS's set to a higher clock speed and that most will be able to clock to that degree anyhow?

Any info on that matter would be appreciated! :p

The EVGA is just clocked higher and sold that way. You'll find that all the cards will clock to that speed, and probably a lot higher.

Back
Top Bottom