How to dim LEDs on electronics?

Associate
Caporegime
Black electrical tape. Works a treat (as does buying devices that don't have stupid bright blue LEDs on :) )

yea blue led's are ridiculous my logitech speakes on the centre speaker that obviously goes directly infront of you has the brightest blue LED , it actually hurt my eyes it was so bright god knows what they were thinking.....
I put white electrical tape over the LED you can still see the colour but its a lot less bright

Soldato
Buy hundreds of them and tape them all to your ceiling. Then instead of being an annoyance they produce a beautiful star pattern to help you sleep. For bonus points, arrange them into familiar constellations such as the plough.

Soldato
Wow, people really will get suckered into anything.

They work well, what more do you want?

I found every other solution here not to work for me. I found blutack looked a bit silly and electrical tape didn't allow me to still see the state of the LED - never tried nail polish admittedly, not something I had to hand at the time.

Got them off ebay for £1.99 posted a couple of years ago and I've still got plenty left.

Soldato
Wait a few more months and you'll have access to the Superhub v2. I've seen the v2 and the lights don't seem anywhere as harsh as v1. Plus the GUI allows you to change the LED brightness, ie: Low/Medium/High.

Still made by Netgear with crappy 1x1 antennas?

Soldato
Got a VM Superhub
Never thought of putting tape over them :o

Wait a few more months and you'll have access to the Superhub v2.

That's the only electrical thing I own with a stupidly bright LED. However it's a **** wireless router so I've but it in 'modem mode' and hid it in a cupboard. The only time I see the lights are when I (occasionally) reboot the damn thing.

I doubt the v2 is any better a router so if (when?) I get one it will stay in modem mode.

Soldato
Is it still complete **** like v1 though? I'll be pretty upset if I can no longer say I use the worst router ever made in the history of mankind.
Still made by Netgear with crappy 1x1 antennas?
That's the only electrical thing I own with a stupidly bright LED. However it's a **** wireless router so I've but it in 'modem mode' and hid it in a cupboard. The only time I see the lights are when I (occasionally) reboot the damn thing.

I doubt the v2 is any better a router so if (when?) I get one it will stay in modem mode.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33693243-superhub-2-a.html

Man of Honour
I've bought ASUS RT-N66U yesterday and the blue LEDS is too bright. It is very annoying when you trying to sleep at night.

How to you dim LEDs on electronics?

I might get a LightDims http://www.russandrews.com/product-LightDims-5028.htm

With the Merlin FW for that router (and I think 1-2 other custom firmwares) there is the option:

Tools->Other Settings->Stealth Mode (disable all LEDs) On/Off

Soldato
With the Merlin FW for that router (and I think 1-2 other custom firmwares) there is the option:

Tools->Other Settings->Stealth Mode (disable all LEDs) On/Off

This.

Tomato firmware also does this and there is a script floating about that will turn them on at a certain time of day and turn them off again at night.

Soldato
Put the AC through a full wave rectifier, regulate the voltage to the correct voltage for the led then pulse width modulate the power too the led at a high frequency with a microcontroller, use a rotary encoder or a potentiometer with a push button to vary the on/off ratio of the output and the button to turn it on/off.

you do realise that the LED's will most likely be a DC component and placed after the AC input voltage has been rectified,smoothed and regulated. So all the above would do is most likely make the whole thing not work unless it has a massive voltage input tolerance like 110 to 240 volts.
If he wanted to adjust the LED's hed have to insert a resistor in series with the led or a resistance changing pot to adjust the current.

Or he could use electrical tape to block the light

Back
Top Bottom