• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Official Haswell review thread

Soldato
very interesting graphs. it looks like the higher price of a 3930k is not justifiable.

The graphs are interesting but it's against the forum rules to hotlink images not to mention it's just plain bad manners.

I was looking at the graphics performance of the HD5000 on Toms Hardware and noted the time variance lag, now that Intel graphics are becoming a viable prospect the quality of Intel's graphics drivers are going to come under a lot more scrutiny going forwards.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
it does suck that it idles that high, especially if you building a little media pc which is what i was thinking of doing, i wonder if the chips lower in the range do better on idle

all their new power saving blahblah and it idles at 40c+ i mean wth :p

Mei

Mei

Soldato
if you building a pc in a small case or a pc you plan to leave on 24/7 it isnt meaningless to me! :(

Don
if you building a pc in a small case or a pc you plan to leave on 24/7 it isnt meaningless to me! :(
It doesn't matter for something like a HTPC, the actual power they consume is less, the hot CPU won't make the rest of the case hotter, it's just inefficient at getting the heat out of the CPU.

And if you plan to overclock temp is very important.
Absolutely, the only thing HW and IB high temperatures affect is your overclocking headroom.

Soldato
Great review - thanks for posting :)

On the gaming benchmarks page, though, you have two copies of the Tomb Raider plot - and no Metro: Last Light plot.

Like everyone else I'm disappointed with the overclocking results coming in. I was hoping for 5Ghz being a realistic target on air - this would have made it an obvious upgrade from an aging i7-930. As it is, I'm questioning the value of the upgrade. Perhaps a jump to a 3770k (or even just to a 2600k @ 5Ghz?) would be a better bet?
Thanks chief. Fixed :)

I'm yet to test the ES 4770K - will see if this can step over 4.7GHz that the retail couldn't pass. My expectations are that it will probably overclock much better, just like the other reviews that show ES overclocked and not retail. Will post back and let you guys know what I find!

Soldato

Don't confuse temperature with heat...

Temperature is a concentration of heat energy. The heat output by the chip is virtually identical to the power draw, and is the thing you need to be concerned about for a small case. The temperature at the centre of the chip is determined by how efficiently the heat can be removed (and the area over which the heat is generated).

Power draw is the thing you need to be looking at in your situation - temperatures only need to be within the safe operating range.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
Don't confuse temperature with heat...

Temperature is a concentration of heat energy. The heat output by the chip is virtually identical to the power draw, and is the thing you need to be concerned about for a small case. The temperature at the centre of the chip is determined by how efficiently the heat can be removed (and the area over which the heat is generated).

Power draw is the thing you need to be looking at in your situation - temperatures only need to be within the safe operating range.

yeh its good point you and joker are making but say the case is a little toasty anyway, most likely looking at 50+ idle in a small case - i duno maybe thats still ok - was looking at the 4770T specs, they look kinda nice, not seen a review yet tho

Caporegime
The Core i5 4670K is around £200 at most retailers!:eek:

The Core i5 2500K could be had for as little as £150 and the Core i5 750 was under that in 2010 many times.

The i5 is £192 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-470-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=567

The i7 is £275 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-471-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=567

Its to much money, its getting to the £200 mark for something a lot of people will say is the only thing available for gaming. come with a free game tho....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom