2pc leathers - central zip has broken. Options?

Soldato
Some time ago I bought a 2-piece hein gerick leather suit second hand. I took a punt on it because it looked in good shape, was only £50 and seemed to be my size.

Since then, I've worn it perhaps 10 times. When it's on and zipped together, it's comfortable and fits fine. However, doing the central zip up was always a bit of an effort, although was fine once it was done.

Today, as I was doing it up, I got halfway, reached round and the initial part of the zip just failed and pulled apart. There's quite a few bent teeth, and the metal part that you insert into the zip at the start is broken off and missing. In short, the zip is completely shot.

What can I do now? If I get the zip replaced, can I rely on it to be safe and not split again if I do have a spill? Or is it likely that whatever caused this zip to split will cause any other zip to split, and I need new leathers?

Soldato
OP
They became 'Johnsons' apparently. There's one in a Sainsbury's near me, and their website says they do leathers repairs at all their branches. Will go down there tomorrow and see how much it'll cost.

Soldato
OP
Went down there today. They wanted £100+ and said it would take up to 6 weeks. I walked out.

Might just go and buy some new ones on the weekend. Expensive yes, but no arsing around like this.

Soldato
OP
that's ridiculous

yh try those that alter leathers or tent makers they could probably sew a new zip on cheap,or a granny that's a dab hand on the sewing machine

If you fell off doing 130mph on a track, would you place your trust on your leathers holding together with a random tent maker with a sewing kit? I'm not sure I would.

http://www.dobbsleathers.co.uk/index.htm

A colleague used this lass, but i guess it depends on how much you paid for them in the first place. Every summer it feels like i need a alteration outwards damm getting old :(

I'm going to drop these people an email and see what they can do for me. They're quoting 55 for a waist zip replacement, which is a bit more like it.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Went down there today. They wanted £100+ and said it would take up to 6 weeks. I walked out.

Might just go and buy some new ones on the weekend. Expensive yes, but no arsing around like this.

Talk about try it on!.

http://www.leather-workshop.co.uk/pricing.php quote £55 - £65 to replace the connecting zip, so how the hell those grasping cretins came up with £100+ is beyond me.

Soldato
OP
Yes - seems opportunistic. That or they don't really want the business.

I've also found these guys who seem local: http://www.bysonleather.co.uk/ - how quick they can turn it around is going to be a factor - I've got a trip on the 12th which I need something for, so here's hoping someone can do it for then.

Back
Top Bottom