***The Official HTC One Thread***

Soldato
So last week (Thu) when I was told my phone had actually gone in to be repaired, what has actually happened then is that it was sent from one repair centre, to a different one (apparently the first one didn't have the correct machines to repair a One?). They have no visibility of what is going on at this second repair centre, and they're not returning their calls either.

I'm at the point now where I'm going to suggest if they can't repair the device by the end of this week, then they should just send me a replacement. Does that sound unreasonable?

Associate
To be fair with the top and bottom bezel it is mainly for the speakers, and with the sides I'd prefer to have a bit of bezel if it helps stop the screen from breaking.

Soldato
Well after much thought I took the plunge and upgraded to the One with EE. I'd sidegraded from Three because although the latter do exceptionally good mobile web and you can download with no limits, they have virtually no coverage in much of my mum's town where I'm a frequent visitor.

I got the HTC One 32GB in silver, on the £46/month contract (unlimited mins/texts and 3GB data). My S3 LTE says that since we got cable installed at home I'm only using between 700MB and 1.8GB a month over the last six months, so 3GB for mobile use is ample for me. I'm getting 50Mbps down and 15Mbps up on EE, too. :)

I was immediately impressed with EE, and even more so when I rang and discovered they operate with UK based call centres only. :) Well worth the extra few pounds a month imho, but I realise that's subjective.

I was (and am) enthralled with the One. It's a big upgrade from my S3 LTE and feels much faster and smoother. The UI is like greased lightning and the addition of Flash in the stock browser is a huge bonus imho. The only thing I was REALLY worried about after reading reviews was the camera quality.

However, in the real world the pics are perfectly fine even before tweaking (changing sharpness, exposure and contrast in the settings). I get nice 1080p pics with nice full natural colour, and at the end of the day they're great for Facebook, Twitter, sharing with relatives etc and that's all a camera phone needs to do. The 'Boomsound' stereo speakers are a huge upgrade for me, as I'm very hard of hearing with total hearing loss on one side, and high and low range hearing loss on the other. Calls (and especially the loudspeaker calls) are HUGELY improved for me with this handset! :D

Now the downside. After going outside today I immediately noticed that the screen had two large-ish white 'specs'. On closer inspection it was dust particles laminated between the glass and LCD screen. :mad: :( I know I'm not the first to suffer this, and it's spoiled what was otherwise a wonderful phone. Shame on HTC for such poor QC during production tbh. They have a wonderful unibody, great classy design and top spec features, only to ruin it with minor details.

Kudos to EE though, as they've just said nip into any store and they'll confirm it and courier me a brand new handset next-day. So here's hoping the next, erm, One doesn't have any issues!

Stuff happens though, and being honest it hasn't spoiled my overall impression of this nicely made, solid and premium-feeling phone. If anyone is torn between this and the S4, you won't be disappointed with the One! It's also nice to have 25GB free space to play with after everything I need is installed. Yes you miss out on the S-series microSD, but when you can't install apps to it anyway, what's the point?

Does anyone know when the latest 4.2.2 update comes out on EE? I'm looking forward to it more for the re-addition of the ability to map the overflow menu button to the back key than anything else!

Soldato
The 8X also has huge amount of bezel too, its just as tall as 4.7" phones.

It does indeed... so much so that it makes the phone look slightly out of proportion, I think!

I have one at the moment, but am seriously considering switching to an HTC One when my contract comes up for renewal in a few months time.... not just for the above reason though.

Soldato
Associate
Chillimonster said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belloni

Perfect timing for me to get one of these with topcashback offering £100 cash back on 18 month contracts.

Who's that through?

Belloni said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillimonster

Who's that through?

Topcashback..

Right, we all understand you got it through Topcashback, what is patently obvious here is that you are being asked which retailer (affordablemobiles, cpw, p4u, etc) offered this deal via Topcashback? :)

Posted from Overclockers.co.uk App for Android

Soldato
any idea why a htc black on three is apparently a rare beast?

just had a rather silly conversation with the tmobile lady i asked for my pac code as well, apparently getting a htc from three means it cant receive a 4g signal ever (as if they dig the chip out) and then she tried to sell me a 4g contract with tmobile with 750mb of data after i had told her three's contract is unlimited data for the same price.

honestly surprised she could legally tell me such tosh.

Last edited:
Soldato
My number port from Orange to EE still hasn't been completed. It started Friday afternoon and it's now Thursday. Horrible service I've gotta say.

My One is incredible though, whereas my old Gnex would be sat on about 50-60% by 1.30pm at work, my One is still on 87%! Probably the best phone I've ever had - next to the HTC Hero of course, that chin was so handy :)

Soldato
Right, we all understand you got it through Topcashback, what is patently obvious here is that you are being asked which retailer (affordablemobiles, cpw, p4u, etc) offered this deal via Topcashback? :)

Posted from Overclockers.co.uk App for Android

Apologies, Dialaphone it is.

Associate
My number port from Orange to EE still hasn't been completed. It started Friday afternoon and it's now Thursday. Horrible service I've gotta say.

My One is incredible though, whereas my old Gnex would be sat on about 50-60% by 1.30pm at work, my One is still on 87%! Probably the best phone I've ever had - next to the HTC Hero of course, that chin was so handy :)

That's Slow in terms of the number port, I just moved to Giffgaff from three initiated the request yesterday and completed today (before 12pm), impressed.

Back
Top Bottom