• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia 320.18 WHQL Display Driver is Damaging GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
It seems as soon as Nvidia hit an all time high with their GPU’s, there is evidence that the 320.18 WHQL display drivers are killing off GPUs. Fortunately it hasn’t killed every card it’s touched (It’s actually a very low amount), but there is hardly any good news to report about the 320.18 WHQL display drivers.

It simply started with users going to the Nvidia forum thread to give feedback on the 320.18 display drivers. On 05/23/2013 at 02:31 PM Nvidia 320.18 WHQL display drivers went live. Below is a timeline of how the release of the 320.18 went down, it’s not pretty.

05/23/2013
03:58PM – The first complaint came in that the display drivers were still killing user experience in Battlefield 3.
09:25PM- The following image is uploaded to the forums, showing BF3 literally unplayable.

Bf3-rainbow.jpg

05/24/2013
06:26AM – First user reports after installing 320.18 WHQL display drivers using Geforce Experience, and restarting his system, system failed to POST. After removing his GPU the system would boot. GPU Dead.
07:07AM – First user reports actual improvements in BF3. (All other posts were complaints that it either was unapproved or had worsened)
07:44AM – User with GTX 460 reports intermittent complete lock up of PC using 320.18 display drivers
08:08AM – User with GTX 680′s in SLI reports computer will not boot with 320.18 display drivers installed. Disabling SLI or reverting back to 314.xx fixes the issue.
05/25/2013
02:23PM – User post YouTube video displaying artifacts in BF3 on a GTX 660 OC while using 320.18 WHQL Display drivers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?f&v=g7iGxZp94wE

05/26/2013
04:09PM – User reports after installing 320.18 WHQL Display driver with GTX 570, system BSOD. User reverted back to 314.22 but has horizontal lines across the screen and can only make out text in 800×600 resolution. GPU likely damaged
04:55PM – User confirms his GTX 570 was destroyed by installing 320.18.
05:21PM to 05:37PM – Users provide the following screenshots of artifacts in Bioshock Infite, Metro Last Light, BF3, and Assassins Creed.

Assassins-creed.jpg

BF3-texture.jpeg

Bioshock-infinite.jpg

Metro-last-light.jpg

What You Should Do If You Installed 320.18 WHQL Display Drivers

First, don’t panic. Users with damaged hardware was really minimal, however that is scary thought. I’ve seen reports from users that the issue was related to corrupt installers, faulty VRM (Voltage regulator modules), and a number of other things. The bottom line is, Nvidia hasn’t figured it out yet, so your best bet is to protect yourself before you wreck your…hardware.

I’d write a guide to help you, but forum member Sting101 over at the Nvidia Forums has already done that, here’s what he had to say:

What you’ll need: A little bit of patience..!
*Compatible/Working geforce driver for you GPU extracted from Nvidia installer to a newly created folder on your desktop.
*Installed Driver Fusion, aka Driver Sweeper Link: http://www.treexy.com/media/30691/driver_fusion_1.6.0.exe
*Installed CCleaner Link: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

First: Boot into Safe Mode follow instructions below!
*Win7 -Restart PC and keep hitting F8 on your keyboard until you see an option to select Safe Mode.
*Win8 -Open Notepad, copy and paste the following command line: C:\Windows\system32>shutdown /r /o /f /t 00
-then save-as this text file with the following name onto your desktop: SafeBoot8.bat
-Now once you run this created batch file your PC will reboot into SafeMode Menu, select option 4 for Safe Mode.

Second: Once in Safe Mode Go to your device manager!
-1- Win7/Win8 hold down Windows Key on your keyboard & simultaneously press R, paste the following command and hit OK: devmgmt.msc
-2- Now expand Display adapters by clicking on the small triangle then right-click on your Nvidia GeForce GPU and select Uninstall.
-3- Then open Driver Fusion Utility and select/mark Nvidia Display & Nvidia PhysX & hit analyze, delete what ever it finds but don’t click on reboot just yet.
-4- Open CCleaner and scan registry several times until it finds nothing once finished reboot your Win7/Win8 PC back into Safe Mode.
-5- Repeat step 3 & step 4 above until Driver Fusion finds nothing, rebooting into Safe Mode each time until finished.

Third: Installing working driver from Safe Mode!
-Open GeForce Driver folder that you had created previously from an extracted driver at the beginning of this guide, and right-click on setup.exe & run as Admin
-Click Agree & Continue & select Custom/Advanced option & deselect everything that you don’t need or have use for like 3D crap but make sure you select clean install.
-Finish Installation and reboot normally this time back to your desktop and continue-on with your life
!eNjoY.

PS: Try not to be too hard on Nvidia Support Guys, they’re not the one’s who made this decision on releasing somewhat embarrassing piece of unfinished work/driver.

Source & Taken From
http://modcrash.com/nvidia-display-driver-damaging-gpus/#.UbTRjflem6N

The version of driver sweeper linked above is the basic version so will leave lots of files behind. If anyone wants to use a Driver Fusion version that will get rid of every nvidia gpu driver file on your system then i included one you can download and use from my AMD thread. (step 2)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18431335

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there any other driver that works with GTX 700 series cards? I don't seem to have a problem so far, but not taxed the card much yet.

Man of Honour
Shouldn't need to go through all that to safely downgrade to an older driver, should be enough just to uninstall and reinstall an older one with the clean install option ticked.

Last edited:
Soldato
[Death];24423286 said:
if nvidia realize this why in hell are they letting people still download?

Since a lot of users don't frequent forums/tech sites, what better way to force an upgrade to the new 7 series when your card goes boom!

Nice one Jen. ;)

Not the first time either, since it's happened again, obviously won't be the last time.
:rolleyes:

Permabanned
[Death];24423286 said:
if nvidia realize this why in hell are they letting people still download?

because if your card gets bricked you have to buy a new one

they did this intentionally before with the 7900/8800/9800 to make ppl upgrade

it's why bfg died

Caporegime
OP
I had a quick look on the Nvidia forum at the 320.18 thread. It doesn't make for pretty reading. I guess its a bad time for this to happen being a weekend. Probably not much can be done until monday.

Soldato
Tin foil hat time!

In all seriousness I installed these drivers on ~70 machines with 8400GS' and 2 with GT210's the other week and none have blown up.. yet.

OH LAWD THEY BETTER NOT BLOW UP.

Soldato
I think this driver has seriously broke something in my pc when I start just before windows I get a red flash then severe graphical corruption then screen goes blank :( what would happen about an rma ?? As this is nvidia fault ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom