Netflix/Lovefilm >sky movies?

Soldato
Currently paying @ £16 a month for sky movies, most of them are repeats.
Anyone dumped it for netflix or lovefilm?
Can you stream as much as you want for the monthly cost or are there restrictions?
We don't have a smart TV (yet) so would probably stream through a wii.

Caporegime
Quality on the Wii version is pretty shocking from what I've read. Different selection of movies on all the services and Sky gets most of the new movies first so you're stuck with mostly older movies.

Soldato
they both do a free trial, so you can at least test them out to see if they will be a good enough replacement.

another option is nowtv, which is basically online sky movies. It does cost £15 a month thou. However, they do a free trial, and reduce the price for the first 3 months to about £9. So you can save some money that way for 4 months.
Also there is cashback of £15 available for just doing the free trial

Associate
they both do a free trial, so you can at least test them out to see if they will be a good enough replacement.

another option is nowtv, which is basically online sky movies. It does cost £15 a month thou. However, they do a free trial, and reduce the price for the first 3 months to about £9. So you can save some money that way for 4 months.
Also there is cashback of £15 available for just doing the free trial

Also 6 months available on groupon for £14.99 at the moment....includes some 24hr sky sports passes as well

Caporegime
your overpaying for sky movies is the problem i think.

when i recently signed up to sky (it is being installed tomorrow) movies was an extra £2 per month on top of the package i wanted, so decided to add it for the sake of saving £2 per month, should come in handy for that price.

again sky go extra was an additional £2 per month over sky go.

so basically added that in as well offers me downloading and an additional 2 devices, so again worth having it than saving £2 per month.

therefore for me it is much cheaper, easier and better than using netflix separately.

imo you should look at VM and their new customer offers or get sky to give you a discount

Associate
It might be just me, but I find the selection on Lovefilm for the Xbox particularly poor. They have some really old/obscure titles on there too.

I can't say the same about Netflix as I've never used the service.

Soldato
OP
I probably am overpaying, been with sky for years and pay @ £90 a month (TV/phone/BB) so am probably getting screwed over as a long term customer.
I'm sure I could go the 'threaten to leave' route but I don't really want to get tied in for another 12 months!
Just installing lovefilm and netflix on the wii so will see how it works out.

Man of Honour
Pretty different services.

Netflix is great especially tv series. Amazing value for money, but it doesn't have newer stuff as sky hold exclusivity deals for nearly everything. Can stream as much as you want, it's just a flat charge.
Netflix is far better than lovefilm for streaming.
Sky movies is good for watch brand new films.

I have both, but that's as, by the time you add sports you might as well just get the full sky package.

Soldato
To get the best of everything

Lovefilm £9.99 a month for unlimited (this gets you new release dvd/blurays)

Netflix £6 a month for streaming

Unblock-US £4 a month to swap between UK and US regions

Hulu £6 a month for streaming US TV Shows (brand new ones)

Caporegime
I probably am overpaying, been with sky for years and pay @ £90 a month (TV/phone/BB) so am probably getting screwed over as a long term customer.
I'm sure I could go the 'threaten to leave' route but I don't really want to get tied in for another 12 months!
Just installing lovefilm and netflix on the wii so will see how it works out.

lmao

i am getting nearly £300 of cashback through quidco

plus

entertainment extra +
sports pack
movies pack
hd and 3d pack
sky go extra
BB Unlimited
Sky Talk Unlimited
multiroom (for 1 additional room)

for £65.12 per month for 12 months

that £300 cashback will pay for roughly 5 months so £65.12 for 7-8 months of a 12 month contract.

you should really leave or haggle, scared of getting tied into a 12 month contract so you would rather throw money away instead. i love the logic on that one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Netflix,Although they don't get movies/tv series anywhere near as quick as say SKY..so you could be waiting for some movies/tv series to show up on there for a while,If at all.

But at £5.99 a month its quite good.

Back
Top Bottom