**** The Official Superman - Man Of Steel Discussion Thread ****

Soldato
There will always be negative reviews/opinions/reactions to big films like this. Some people just don't like these types of films and there is nothing that will change their opinion. While other people will be hating the film for deviating from what they know and love as the character from previous films/comics/tv shows.

The popular negative opinion that I've read is based on the fact that it was not like Superman the movie. A lot of people still hold that very close to their hearts it seems. I do too, but I can appreciate that this is an entirely different take on the character so there really is no point me comparing. I will see them as two separate interpretations of the character just like I did with the 1989 Batman and the 2005 Batman Begins. Both are good movies, but they are two very different takes on the character set in very different periods - I do not like to say one is better than the other because they both accomplish the job of delivering us the character but in two very different worlds.

Of course, people will draw comparisons because that is only natural but I just feel it is a bit harsh from some of the critics to say it lacks the humour and charm of the original 1978 movie because that was that they went into expecting.

One thing that is also interesting is that Superman Returns seems to be actually more popular with the critics because of its homage to the original Superman movies whereas the general audience opinion was that it was distinctly average and disappointing. So there is a chance again that the critics will have a completely different view from that of the general audience like before. The difference being this time that the film favours more from the general audience and not the critics.

Permabanned
Awesome poster for the film…

martinansin_regular_large.jpg

Associate
FOUR WEEKS TODAY PEEPS!!! :D

I go to Metropolis in 3 weeks time. (yes, there is a Metropolis in America!) Going to enjoy the 35th annual Superman Celebration from June 6th to June 9th. I return to the UK on June 11th and it's the UK premiere of the movie on June 12th! So perfect timing for me to be able to meet the cast and crew!

Then back to Newcastle for the epicness to unfold! I am still hoping we will get a midnight showing to coincide with the early advance screening due to take place in USA at 7pm (depending on which part of the States). They can't NOT have a midnight showing in the UK!!

Anyway, FOUR WEEKS!! AAARRRGGGHHH!!! :D

I'm loving your enthusiasm :D

Not concerned with negative reviews, I think it will be an enjoyable movie and of course nothing is ever perfect.

Caporegime
I have now listened to most of Zimmer's score for this. What a massive dissapointment :(. Don't ge me wrong, it isnt bad, but he had a chance to do something fantastic here. Instead he has put some loud drums over most of the Angel and Demons soundtrack :/.

I am as big a Zimmer fan as anyone but this really was a massive let down. His Batman trilogy soundtracks were original, iconic and utterly brilliant and i own all three. I am not sure i will be buying this one.

This makes Zimmer's score for superman sound like childs play:

Soldato
Don't really post in this part of the forum too often but I seen this at the NI premiere last night and I absolutely loved it. I divide Superman fans into two categories, the people who grew up with his comics and the people who grew up with his movies. I think the people who grew up with the comics will be more satisfied with this but in general the movie should blow everybody away not just Superman fans.

I have never really liked any of the live action Superman movies I usually stick to the animated ones but I thoroughly enjoyed it, I think they made some bold decisions which will cause a lot of debate but personally I applaud them it was what this film needed for the most part. Anyways, enjoy fellas.

Caporegime
I have now listened to most of Zimmer's score for this. What a massive dissapointment :(. Don't ge me wrong, it isnt bad, but he had a chance to do something fantastic here. Instead he has put some loud drums over most of the Angel and Demons soundtrack :/.

I am as big a Zimmer fan as anyone but this really was a massive let down. His Batman trilogy soundtracks were original, iconic and utterly brilliant and i own all three. I am not sure i will be buying this one.

This makes Zimmer's score for superman sound like childs play:

Seems weird they chose to do a different main theme, you hear that music you immediately know what it is. If its not broke, etc. Of course that saying has yet to reach America it seems.

Associate
I really like the new soundtrack!, sure its not the same as the previous theme but I guess they wanted to go with a different direction and i'm happy with that, I loved the original film, watched it the other night lol, but i'm also happy they have taken a clean break from it, happier that it wasn't a rehash of the same old themes, which although great, have a very different feel to them. cant wait to see the new film!.

Caporegime
I really like the new soundtrack!, sure its not the same as the previous theme but I guess they wanted to go with a different direction and i'm happy with that, I loved the original film, watched it the other night lol, but i'm also happy they have taken a clean break from it, happier that it wasn't a rehash of the same old themes, which although great, have a very different feel to them. cant wait to see the new film!.

Oh I don't think having a different theme and new music is bad. I would have been dissapointed if it used John Williams music again. I just expected a lot more from Zimmer on this one. The whole soundtrack is sort of "nothing" music. It lacks coherency. I didnt like the Inception soundtrack very much for the same reason although it did have some tracks i liked.

Superman needs a more iconic theme and it is hard to pick out anything truely memorable from the new soundtrack. Zimmer did fantastically with the batman soundtracks to make a simple rising minor third so iconic and powerful (gives me goosebumps everytime). Seems like he failed this time around. :(

Soldato
Superman needs a more iconic theme and it is hard to pick out anything truely memorable from the new soundtrack. Zimmer did fantastically with the batman soundtracks to make a simple rising minor third so iconic and powerful (gives me goosebumps everytime). Seems like he failed this time around. :(

"An Ideal of Hope" is the main theme i believe and i think given time it can just as iconic as the Williams one, give me bloody great goosebumps!

Soldato

Are you judging this on just the soundtrack,or have you watched the film? I thought the film was fantastic, and the music worked brilliantly.
Yes, I miss the old theme, but it would have sounded very strange in this film, and I am not sure of any specific "reveal" moments that it would have worked with.

I would give the film as a whole 9/10. :D

It loses one point because the action in the last quarter was a bit over the top, and if there is a sequel, it can't be set in Metropolis seeing as half the city was levelled.

Associate
Just met Henry and Russell after they landed in Jersey, I work next to the private jet arrivals. Nice blokes, Russell is shorter than I thought!

Back
Top Bottom