Got a job as a Tester, but how do I do it? :P

Soldato
Dunno if this is the best sub-forum to use, but it's the best I can think of.

I've just finished uni. When I was on my 1 year work placement, I started shadowing the tester there and learning a lot from him. Since then, the company expanded, new positions opened up, he became a senior and they wanted a junior, and they offered me the job, so naturally I accepted.

Now I'm in a real position, not just a student on placement, I want to learn about the field, not just the bits and bobs I need to use in my job. My uni course didn't teach me a single thing about testing or maintaining code.

Can anyone recommend any articles or books to get me started? I guess what I want first is a book that's equivalent to Software Engineering by Iain Sommerville, but for testing.

Associate
Just turn up, pay attention and do what your told to begin with. If your in a junior role then they should give you the support and help you need to get into the job. Don't worry about it :)

Associate
Are you looking for something like Hambling's "Software Testing" and the general ISTQB approach? After that, there's a pretty huge literature on software quality control...

Soldato
OP
I've worked in Web Development since I was 16, so about 7 years. (Although I was in education at the same time).

It's both manual and automated (watir). I'm fine writing watir tests and understanding being told what to do, I just want to understand the background theory a bit better.

They gave me plenty of support during my placement, but I was taught what I'd need for the job, whereas now I want to learn more about the whole field, not just the bits we use.

Just very excited. I was getting tired of being a developer but didn't think a career change would be possible at 22, but I'm loving this so far!

I'll look up Hambling's book, cheers! Not sure about ISTBQ, as that's qualification driven stuff isn't it? I was more looking for a basic theory guide (like Software Engineering by Sommerville). Just wondered if there was one particular book that was considered the "definitive" starting volume.

Soldato
Well as i am gonna be 31 when i finally graduate from uni i would certainly hope that 22 isnt too old for a career change or i am screwed :>

Soldato
OP
Good luck mate. I would just do as the others said and pay attention and you will learn naturally :)
Cheers mate! Yeh doing that fine, but I just want to read around the subject! The senior tester I work under has offered to lend me a couple of books that he reckons are useful so I've got something to start with.

Well as i am gonna be 31 when i finally graduate from uni i would certainly hope that 22 isnt too old for a career change or i am screwed :>

I meant I thought I was too young!

Soldato
Cheers mate! Yeh doing that fine, but I just want to read around the subject! The senior tester I work under has offered to lend me a couple of books that he reckons are useful so I've got something to start with.

I meant I thought I was too young!

a lot of people at that age dont even know what they want to do, so career changes are pretty common.

Back
Top Bottom