Front-Facing Camera Paranoia

Soldato
Ever since I got my Galaxy Note, I've felt uneasy about the feeling of potentially being watched by the front camera. So much so that I've stuck a square of black insulating tape over the lens, rendering it effectively inoperable. I have never used it, so I am not missing it anyway.

Does anyone else have similar discomfort at the feeling of being watched while you browse the web on the bog, or have I lost the plot?

Soldato
If 'they' can covertly watch you with the camera, they can also access your phone records, emails, text messages, browsing history, pictures, social media accounts, your location..and you're worried about them snapping a picture of your face? :p

Soldato
Unless you're rooted, I don't think an app can access the camera without permission, which you would have either given when installing;

CAMERA
TAKE PICTURES AND VIDEOS
Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation.

...or if it prompts you :p

Stop worrying.

Associate
Associate
I think you should take the tape off. it is a irrational reaction to a fear and leaving it on will only help to encourage your paranoia.

Soldato
Doesn't bother me in the least. Even if it was being used for spying - which it isn't - what information are they going to gleam from monitoring your face, trouser pocket or ceiling anyway?

Soldato
The possibility to do this? Sure, without a doubt it exists, there are much worse POCs out there tbh. Doing it against common joe? No need. Phone companies can be pretty devious in all honesty and are required to follow the law (and therefore intercept requests) just like all other businesses but this method is just not efficient enough.

The cases that come to public of this happening are usually cases of intercept rather than piccies. Taking a picture would tell you the device location & user but it's a illogical method when you compare it to GPS/cell trig and call tapping. As anyone who has tried it will attest to - you are behind a huge NAT on most network plans, an easy point where your packets can be sniffed.

The best example of FBI intercept is here. A nextel phone had a firmware change (it was in 2006, no need for apps here) which enabled the sleep mode of the phone to start a one way call on demand. Genius considering the challenges they faced 7 years ago. The other problem with on device intercept is that you can only hide it for so long - network intercept is virtually impossible to spot but on devices these days you run the risk of a clever person uncovering it.

Soldato
Here's a hypothetical, someone roots their phone and installs Cerberus. They have access to both cameras remotely. They then sell that phone on eBay in the hopes of getting some interesting pictures. Pretty far fetched, not impossible though

Back
Top Bottom