Dad had a heart attack over weekend. A warning to all.

Associate
Indeed, just one of the unspoken costs of high house prices in this country - it helps no one but the moral less banksters, yet we appear to revel in it - our mental health is as damaged as our physical health.

See the recentish thread with the willy waving about how many hours a week we all work, as if working yourself into an early grave is something to be proud of.

Best wishes to the OP's Dad and best wishes to whomever brah is thinking about.

It's easy to say to get rid of stress, but when you're my father with family problems, a house which is in negative equity, which even his pension won't cover, with children and lots of other issues, I can't see how to reduce the stress. :(

Soldato
sorry to hear about you dad. The father in law had a heart attack 3 weeks ago and 3 cardiac arrests in hospital a day later. recovery will be slow for the first week or so, but hope he does well :)

Associate
As far as I'm aware, there are two people listening to the 999 call. One takes your details and the other listens for key info. Once you say the victim isn't breathing/has no pulse they will dispatch someone in the nearby area (first responder) as time is of the essence.

It's the difference from dispatching an ambulance which may take 30 mins or 3 mins. Glad he made it :)

Not quite, the one taking the info types it into the computer system (which is why address should be one of the first things they ask), once the address is in (or before that for mobile phones using triangulation), the call appears on the dispatchers system electronically, they can then assign an ambulance, or the nearest one (if available) is auto assigned. As more questions are asked the priority changes, chest pain in an over 35 year old generally stays as a red2 call, this is the second highest priority available, the highest, red1, is for not breathing patients or critical transfers (hospital to hospital with confirmed life threatening condition).

Soldato
I've had two heat attacks and luckily I'm still here to tell the tale. And it's all down to the doc's and nurses at my local hospital (UHNS) Time is of the essence if you think you're having a heart attack. Unfortunately location can make a huge difference, minutes count.

Also heart attacks are not always as they show them on the tele, massive pain, passing out, etc. They can present as just a tightness, ache, in the jaw, neck, chest or arm. If in doubt get it sorted. Better to go and have them say you have indigestion than have them say if you'd come a few hours earlier we could have done something. The longer you wait the more heart muscle dies and once it's gone that's it, you can't get it back.

And while I echo the take responsibility for yourself and keep yourself fit and healthy, nature also deals out the cards, you don't have to be an old fat git to have a heart attack, I was only 35 when I had my first big-un, I've never smoked, was active and about the right weight for my age. (my dad died from a heart attack in his mid 40's)

There is a randomness to heart attacks and the damage they do dependes on which arteries are occluded and for how long. Your dads had a full arrest so he's a very lucky man to still be here.

Lots of people knock the NHS, but cardiac is one area where they are for the most part on top of their game.

Good to hear your dad is on the mend. Early days yet, but I hope he makes a good recovery.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mum had a heart attack and quintuple bypass surgery just over a year ago, she was lucky, but she is a tough old bird, survived a massive stroke when I was born and regained all control so she is very very lucky.

She works for the NHS and does sometimes have a moan but it is because of people like her (that work too hard) that make it great, it is so easy to criticise but people, we are lucky to have the NHS!

Associate
My dad had a heart attack 3 weeks ago. He complained of chest pains but his neighbour and him decided to hang about a bit to see if it'd go away. He was a nightmare when it came to hospitals and doctors so I'd imagine he was dragged kicking and screaming when they eventually went. He died on arrival at the hospital

Soldato
My dad had a heart attack 3 weeks ago. He complained of chest pains but his neighbour and him decided to hang about a bit to see if it'd go away. He was a nightmare when it came to hospitals and doctors so I'd imagine he was dragged kicking and screaming when they eventually went. He died on arrival at the hospital

So very sorry to hear that. My heart goes out to you and your family..

Last edited:
Permabanned
Whilst we can say the NHS do a great job, they're also responsible for a great number of deaths. Swings and roundabouts and all that...

Soldato
Glad your dad made it.

Now get yourself on a first aid course, if you are under 16 then the scouts and cadets do them free - otherwise ask your employer.

At the very least everyone should know how to put someone in the recovery position, check the ABCs', staunch a bleeding wound and do Heart Massage / Mouth to Mouth. That's enough to keep someone alive for the 3 minutes or more it takes for the Ambulance to arrive.

Permabanned
Glad your dad made it.

Now get yourself on a first aid course, if you are under 16 then the scouts and cadets do them free - otherwise ask your employer.

At the very least everyone should know how to put someone in the recovery position, check the ABCs', staunch a bleeding wound and do Heart Massage / Mouth to Mouth. That's enough to keep someone alive for the 3 minutes or more it takes for the Ambulance to arrive.

I thought you only have 3-4 minutes to get the heart restarted before brain death occurs?

Soldato
My dad had a heart attack around this time last year. He was 46 at the time. He has lead a life of drugs and smoking with a few drinks.

He thought he had indigestion and after it diddnt relent for 8 hours he called for a ambulance. He had a pump placed in his heart on arrival to Harefield. When my brother told me I couldn't believe it. Infact I didnt believe it, I thought it was minor chest pain and all would be well.

By waiting so long the damage to his left valve is very extensive, it is just scar tissue now and working at around 20%. He got out of hospital a week later but he requires a heart transplant. He is still able to move around and do day to day things in a house, but stairs, warm weather, walking and so on just make him breathless. I have no idea how he must feel or how he keeps himself sane, ticking timebomb.

The transplant will happen this year at harefield.

Its worth noting that about a month after his problems I was having lots of trouble breathing, tight chest and numb arms. I actually thought I was having a heart attack and took myself to hospital. It tuns out my cholesterol is super high (8.7) im 28 with a size 30 waist and a good lifestyle. The chest pain and tight chest I have put down to stress. It did me a favor as I found out my cholesterol is high at a young age, most people find out when laying on a floor with chest pain. Get yourself checked!!

Soldato
Likewise following my second heart attack my ejection fraction was measured at 34%, and my mitral valve has now been effected. I have a section of heart muscle that has become dyskinetic (basically bulges out when it should contract, a bit like a aneurysm) plus its had some of its conduction pathways effected. It has reached the point where it can affect me quite badly some days.

Irritates me as on the tele, heart attacks either seem to kill you outright, or you recover fully. Sadly that is not the case. The damage can be significant and life changing for years to come. That said the advances in cardiology in the past 25 years or so have been spectacular.

Associate
Thanks for taking the time to share the story with us. We should take the opportunity to learn from your family's unfortunate experience.

Associate
I am sorry for the losses of some of the posters in this thread, and grateful to God mothermachine's dad is okay.

My dad had a heart attack last year. Was complaining of chest pains in the morning. Was out in London, and in a nut shell, 5 minutes later, ambulance were at the place he was and checking him out. He was having it whilst paramedics were measuring. The team at Royal Free Hampstead were amazing, and I am grateful to God and the staff that my Dad is here.

He was not a smoker or overweight, but is now more careful with stress (so less of the stress in pharmacy business and more watching cricket and doing paperwork / accounts). He liked walking, but now he loves it. I really need to be careful now, as we have heredity heart problems through out the generations :)

Soldato
Whilst we can say the NHS do a great job, they're also responsible for a great number of deaths. Swings and roundabouts and all that...

Number of preventable deaths not stopped by the NHS is tiny (minuscule even) compared to the number of lives they save on a daily basis.

Swings and roundabouts my backside. I'm voting this clueless post of the year.

Soldato
Really is disturbing to hear so many folk here have lost there dads to heart attacks, lost mine few years back but due to cancer so understand the full impact of how ones life changes when you loose a part of yourself.... your never quite the same as before, but you gotta keep that chin up and carry on, our dads would have wanted that !

Am surprised to hear guys having heart attacks in there mid 30's and 40's also, I was planning on an all you can eat buffet followed by baskin robins treat afterwards but now every bite of that lush chocolate melted brownie with 2 different ice cream scoops is just going to be so depressing, which is why I will have 3 scoops instead.

Back
Top Bottom